Author Topic: The BEST Idea Bruce has had  (Read 23878 times)

guest4531

Re: The BEST Idea Bruce has had
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 02:51:15 AM »
Because I didn't read the thread until all of you guys emailed me privately to complain about each other.  Look, bottom line is, I don't have time to go back and forth between you guys privately.  So Jeff and I will be talking and we'll set up some new rules, I guess.  What happened in the past is in the past and I cannot do anything about it.  I value all of you guys opinions but I can seriously do without the pestering.

Okay, I'm done here.

T

You got emails, how beautiful is that  ;D

There are people here who don't know what happened in the past... but yeah, I agree with your posts below, it doesn't look like fair and honest discussion, more like bashing or people having interest with clear plan or agenda.  A bit nasty. Sad to see that the political insanity and shit happening in the world to divide people and rule is also run here... in this little forum read by just of few of us... and we all know each others.

Let's behave and have fun.  Let's not a fight between chiefs divide us and take down this place.

As for DVD, I still buy DVDs, quite a lot !!!    Plenty of sellers in the street as well as licensed shops, selling DVD at 0.50 USD, mostly fraudulent screener or theater copies or DVD copy, ahahaha !!
Don't call me snob or wealthy, the snob here is Hollywood and distributors and whoever who actually don't care much about African market :)  Same story for series, Netflix (the only one available here) is having a 1/20th  of what US has; while Fandor and other platforms are simply not available.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »
As an idea, can the people who say horrible things to others be allocated a new Post Reply editor where they can't type anything, just select from a pick list of pre-screened nice words. So everything they say is nice?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
Glad to see some positive discussion come out of this thread.
Bruce, happy to see you were able to take some good-nature ribbing and looking forward to seeing the great horror stuff you have in the upcoming auction.

T, you might not know anyone who buys DVDs, but I'm sure Rich was also including Blu-Rays in that comment, but there are still DVD buyers.  Toho is milking the format for all that they can and have just started a DVD box set series that will take 2 years to complete where each title comes with a poster reprint and reprints of other vintage paper material.
They are actually quite nice sets, but I hate the fact they are DVD and not Blu-Ray.
Here are a few you can check out:
Destroy All Monsters - https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A9%E5%85%A8%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BBDVD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BABOX-2016%E5%B9%B4-10-18-%E5%8F%B7/dp/B01G94WG2U/ref=pd_sim_14_10?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5RADGCA2QGDRA9EZZ7C
Rodan - https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9A%94%E9%80%B1%E5%88%8A-%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A9%E5%85%A8%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BBDVD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BABOX-13-2017%E5%B9%B41-10%E5%8F%B7/dp/B01G94WFBM/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5RADGCA2QGDRA9EZZ7C
Mothra - https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9A%94%E9%80%B1%E5%88%8A-%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A9%E5%85%A8%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BBDVD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BABOX-16-2017%E5%B9%B402-21%E5%8F%B7-%E9%9B%91%E8%AA%8C/dp/B01G94WF4E/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5RADGCA2QGDRA9EZZ7C

End of life issues are never easy to address and it's definitely far better to dispose of things before-hand if you have the chance rather than leave the burden on your children. Just try to be honest with yourself when evaluating things, if you have a group of items that are maybe $5 items, and far more likely they will sell for $1 each it's not even worth it to pack them up and pay to ship them as a bulk lot to sell. Donate them, give them away to someone else who will enjoy them maybe. But don't make your family deal with everything.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »
here's my opinion Jay.
you buy dvd's and they cost $5-25. I know you don't expect to get any money out of them, so why should the posters be any different?
It's all a perception

Not quite the same.  The studios generally make sure that their videos stay current.  Generally released over and over again in the newer formats.  No value in collecting a DVD when the BluRay is available and/or it is on Netflix.

A poster OTOH is a limited resource.  Nobody is making newer and better ones.  When one gets scrapped, it is scrapped forever.  Yeah, you say who cares about a $5 poster, but there was a time when all of this material, even Universal horror was considered scrap paper. The hoarder in me hates to see something not valuable, but possibly unique slip away.

I don't buy DVDs anymore, mostly UHD discs.  BUt I have some laserdiscs that I keep and sometimes play.  They were never remastered, or contain unique footage that "never happened".  My Star Wars laserdisc proves Han shot first :)  Problem there is that I need to keep the playback technology alive or it is worthless.  All you need for posters is working eyes.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »
Not quite the same.  The studios generally make sure that their videos stay current.  Generally released over and over again in the newer formats.  No value in collecting a DVD when the BluRay is available and/or it is on Netflix.

A poster OTOH is a limited resource.  Nobody is making newer and better ones.  When one gets scrapped, it is scrapped forever.  Yeah, you say who cares about a $5 poster, but there was a time when all of this material, even Universal horror was considered scrap paper. The hoarder in me hates to see something not valuable, but possibly unique slip away.

I don't buy DVDs anymore, mostly UHD discs.  BUt I have some laserdiscs that I keep and sometimes play.  They were never remastered, or contain unique footage that "never happened".  My Star Wars laserdisc proves Han shot first :)  Problem there is that I need to keep the playback technology alive or it is worthless.  All you need for posters is working eyes.

I have a handful, too, Jay, for that very reason, including a copy of SW and Jaws, as well as some Uni horror titles Like Frankie, Dracula and The Wolf Man. And I have a dual player here that plays both laser disc and CDs so that works out well.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
  My Star Wars laserdisc proves Han shot first :)  Problem there is that I need to keep the playback technology alive or it is worthless.  All you need for posters is working eyes.

My Star Wars DVD proves the same thing.

There are lots of old worthless posters that should remain worthless.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
I got rid of ALL physical discs, be it DVDs, CDs, laser, you name it. I uploaded everything into our server, and now thanks to the Plex, I have access to something like 10,000 movies.  I don't even watch HBO or the movie channels anymore, just TV shows and Bill Maher.  And even that I can find on the Roku.  I held on my discs for a couple of years and then gave them all away or trashed them. Never looked back.  I think the last DVD/blue ray I bought was 3 years ago. 

It's a pretty bad deal for Hollywood, because home video sales financed a lot of middle range movies.  This shift has pretty much killed any movies budgeted between $5 and 30 mil, all those movies that could recoup their investment on ancillary platforms.  Now it's either very small or very big. The cash cow is dead.

T
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:30:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
What I have heard is movies will survive physically much longer on plastic disk (DVD, laser disk) than hard drive. Hard drives store their data magnetically rather than burnt into the disk. The magnetic strength loses over time and your data then starts to corrupt. Minimise data corruption by every few years copying all movies off the hard drive to a spare drive and then back onto the original hard drive to restrenghen the magnetic storage.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:38:39 PM by 50s »

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
There are ten of you guys in the hobby?  Five that truly matter.  The bashing doesn't look good, trust me.  Discussions between dealers and collectors are more than welcome and I encourage them.  Dealers criticizing other dealers are not.

Major, major point there.

I buy from both Bruce and Rich, almost exclusively these days.

It does come off as really tacky and lame that they are constantly fighting between one another. Who is the bigger dealer.... who gets the highest prices... who is more knowledgable... more trustworthy... who ships the fastest... it comes off like a dick measuring contest. I didn't even know their history (and still don't), and it was obvious from the first day I joined here.

Just, lame. Everyone knows you guys hate each other. Move on with your lives and focus on finding more cool posters to sell me.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
I buy from both Bruce and Rich, almost exclusively these days. It does come off as really tacky and lame that they are constantly fighting between one another.
Just, lame. Everyone knows you guys hate each other. Move on with your lives and focus on finding more cool posters to sell me.

That is SO unfair to me. I never address Rich or his auctions in any way. I only address auctions that have buyers premiums and enhanced images, and to the best of my knowledge he has neither of these.

How in the world can you say I shouldn't address the aspects of my auctions that make them superior to other auctions (no buyers premiums, we show who the bidders are, we don't enhance the images, etc,)?

If you stand by your statement that I am "constantly fighting" with Rich, then I need to leave this forum.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »
To be fair, this was how I was reading it.

I didn't see any fighting...

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »
Agree with the above stick around Bruce us newbie collectors really value your input and knowledge on the forum, it would be a shame not having you around.
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 03:19:31 AM »
I agree with what Damomac and Simes said.  I didn't notice any fighting and as a newbie Bruce's posts and comments are really valuable to me.  Don't leave Bruce!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
As much as I like both dealers equally, the past couple of weeks seemed Bruce rattled MPB 1-5% and Rich wound up EMP 95-99%. I'm not kidding, that is what I thought   :o

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
This is why I made the comment in the first response.  It always seems to come to this.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
That is SO unfair to me. I never address Rich or his auctions in any way. I only address auctions that have buyers premiums and enhanced images, and to the best of my knowledge he has neither of these.

How in the world can you say I shouldn't address the aspects of my auctions that make them superior to other auctions (no buyers premiums, we show who the bidders are, we don't enhance the images, etc,)?

If you stand by your statement that I am "constantly fighting" with Rich, then I need to leave this forum.

you know this is almost funny. I didn't start this thread, though I did comment.
I never attacked Bruce, I only commented on issues commented about here.

To be fair, this was how I was reading it.

I didn't see any fighting...

I didn't start this thread either:
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11730.0.html

and all I saw was someone burning down a house & losing any cool he may have had instead of just answering a client in a businesslike fashion.

I'm not responsible for any of this, but somehow it's being turned into "it's all Rich's fault" which is utterly ridiculous

There was no fight. There was only commentary. Nobody said that anything I stated was incorrect and nobody said anything I stated was unfair

So what is the issue? Don't like people talking about you? Total silliness. People talk about people all the time and if what people are saying bothers you, then maybe what's wrong is your response, not other people's actions.

Stay, Go.. that's none of MY business and I don't care what anyone does here. That's YOUR business.

Is it fair to comment on HA's buyers premium? Sure it is. Is it fair to make out HA as some evil empire, screwing & murdering customers left & right to achieve world domination? NO

It's one thing to beat your chest, it's another to shit on people so you can beat your chest

Saying "we have great packaging, excellent customer service, regular auctions & nice people working in our office" is a fair business promo
Insinuating other companies do not do any of those things is entirely unfair & largely untrue but factually Bruce, you've been doing that for 20 years and that's one of the reasons that after being friends for almost 40 years and a client who spent many tens of thousands of dollars with you, I stopped. I could no longer support someone whose business schpiel depended on denigrating others.

But here's the thing, you never had to denigrate others to support your own promo. It was never necessary, nor balanced.
You hijacked people threads on Mopo to promote your auctions. You hijacked people's threads here to promote your auctions. In other places, those threads were sometimes my own promo threads. Nobody ever liked it, but no matter how many times any of us said something, you persisted, including against me, your friend.

every time I posted a notice about my auctions, you over-posted so that you would be first seen. Even on the days when my auctions were ending.
for 2 years, you posted that false line about EMP being the first movie poster auction site. You've since changed it to an honest paragraph, for which I applaud you or the employee who had you change it.

I have never said you don't run good auctions, though I do believe you run far too many of them
I've never said your customer service sucked, though I'm not so sure Klownicle would agree at this point and most certainly. my own large consignment (which - hello - was also returned after your hissy fit) was not handled in the way I expected (nor what was agreed), but I never said anything about it until you started accusing HA of doing things that you did to me with that consignment.

Can't handle people talking about you, be they clients or competitors? That's something for you to talk to yourself about. It's obvious that people on the boards, be they friends or not, post about all kinds of dealers. It's an important factor for buyers and it's one thing for buyers to tell each other about good or bad experiences, it's another for dealers to spread insinuations leading people to believe some innocent is guilty of high crimes so that they will avoid that other venue & only spend on your own. In any other business, it would wind up in court. In this piddly little business, it's not economically smart to wage court battles

but I digress.. Blaming me for either of these two threads is like blaming a Syrian refugee for his city being bombed to rubble. It's false, untrue & flatly, ignoring reality.

People need to wear big boy pants in public.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:57:03 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
Ahhhh, I'm so tired of this. 

Do I need to erase entire threads?  Close them?  Are you guys enjoying this back and forth?  I'm not, and it makes me dislike this very forum I started.

Really annoyed, right now.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »

Do I need to erase entire threads?  Close them?  Are you guys enjoying this back and forth?  I'm not, and it makes me dislike this very forum I started.

T

T, all I am doing is responding and commenting. Honestly, I don't think anyone has made any comments that should be deleted and I don't believe it's necessary for Bruce to leave if he wants to stay. If you'll delete this, are you going to delete every post that Posterfix is spoken about? I'll bet Chris doesn't think he's been treated fairly and I don't think anyone would agree with him.

as long as comments are fair & honest, I don't think anyone has any complaints - and that includes me.

I haven't asked for any of Zorba's strine to be deleted. As a matter of fact, the only thing I ever asked to be deleted is when I attacked Jeff and later found out that all the emails & web posts that had been falsely attributed to him due to 'anonymous web ghosting' by that lunatic Andrew Rawls.

Otherwise, you'll have to go all the way back to 2005 and start deleting who-knows-how-many dealer posts that attack HA & others.

This is just a temporary dust-up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:03:19 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
man I should have become a lawyer or legal assistant

;D

-------

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »

T

There is no "back and forth" from my end. I do everything I can not to comment on Rich and his auctions in any way, completely ignoring his many comments about my auctions.

Like just about all of you, I honestly hate reading these threads, maybe more than those of you who have posted.

Maybe I am missing something, but as I see it, if neither Thierry or anyone else wants to delete any posts or threads, then I feel the only remaining option is for me to leave this forum.

If there is something I have missed, tell me. If not, feel free to delete my account, and if so, I know I will see most of you as customers and consignors, or on other forums, or on Facebook.

Thanks
Bruce
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
Maybe I am missing something, but as I see it, if neither Thierry or anyone else wants to delete any posts or threads, then I feel the only remaining option is for me to leave this forum.

here's what I think

T should delete any thread that I started that is critical of EMP or Bruce and only those threads

blaming me for this thread or the other is totally incorrect and false

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
Ok ATTENTION ALL APF I want a picture of EVERYONE'S penis posted right now in this thread.  Go.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Ok ATTENTION ALL APF I want a picture of EVERYONE'S penis posted right now in this thread.  Go.

You first, Vick.  8)

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »

we all lose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Falcon

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
You first, Vick.  8)

you get the gist