Author Topic: The BEST Idea Bruce has had  (Read 23892 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: The BEST Idea Bruce has had
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
then how about telling him to stop bagging other dealers in his promo also?
period. No more critiquing of any dealers in any way.

no more commenting on Posterfix, no more commenting on ebay dealers who are overpriced, underpriced etc?
no more comments on Dave Lieberman's high prices or Sam Sarowitz's
No comments from people who don't like Heritage
how far should it go?

When was the last time any of this happened?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
and yes, except I'm not sure why it has to be privately.

Because I didn't read the thread until all of you guys emailed me privately to complain about each other.  Look, bottom line is, I don't have time to go back and forth between you guys privately.  So Jeff and I will be talking and we'll set up some new rules, I guess.  What happened in the past is in the past and I cannot do anything about it.  I value all of you guys opinions but I can seriously do without the pestering.

Okay, I'm done here.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
no more commenting on Posterfix, no more commenting on ebay dealers who are overpriced, underpriced etc?
no more comments on Dave Lieberman's high prices or Sam Sarowitz's
No comments from people who don't like Heritage
how far should it go?

When was the last time any of this happened?

T

Heritage is critiqued regularly by a variety of people and most esp is continually painted in a poor light by Bruce
I think people were talking about posterfix just last week.
there are many threads of people talking about Dave L as high priced
one of the UK auction houses was being trashed in Mid or Post-auction the week before last

discussion of dealers of all kinds takes place here every week - and it should, as that's how collectors discern the good from the bad

If I am going to discuss my business in any way in discussions or even in my dealer threads, I fail to see why anything I may post should not be part of a discussion, if people wish to discuss it and if Bruce wants to discuss it also, I could care less. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't hurt my ego. It doesn't make me feel like people are picking on me. Only when people would post lies or falsehoods would it bother me. Factual data as fodder for discussion is what conversation is about. Don't want people saying stuff you perceive as a negative on you? Maybe the issue is not the people talking, but something you're doing.

But back to point. Discussion is good. Unpopular discussion may be better than the usual "oh what a great poster you got" or "did you see that final price on that thing?"

people need to put their big boy pants on

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
Thierry, this is your forum to run as you wish. If you like it this way, I can accept that, and certainly I am free to leave at any time if it ceases to be worthwhile for me to remain.

As to this thread, I did at one time have an hour of labor in every auction. But that was many years ago, and I have vastly improved the system. On the other hand, I also have much higher non-employee expenses.

I have revised the wording on my "consign page" (where the quotes stats came from) to better reflect the current state of my expenses, for those obsessive-compulsive types who hang on every word and stat.

I am generally far too busy to engage in these kinds of discussions. The ONLY reason I took the other guy to task was because he grossly misstated the facts in his first post, and then when I called him on it, he apologized nicely privately, but took a completely different tone publicly, and that caused me to make more than one post.

Thanks to all of you who have supported me and my business. I think you will find that our March Major Auction is one of our very best ever, with something for almost every collector and dealer!

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
I totally agree that Bruce runs a top notch business that is extremely accommodating. 
But obviously these sub-$20 posters cause him great headaches, and he is thinking about dropping them.
I am encouraging him to do just that, save the time, save the hassle, make more money.
It's a win-win for everyone.
 thumbsup.gif

Except the long time collector who decides it is finally time to liquidate and not pass the burden on to his kids.

I sit here at 67 years with piles of my obsession hobby.  I decide that today is the day.  How do I decide what is junk and what should go to Bruce/Rich/Heritage.  I have stuff I bought in bulk lots 30 years ago.  It was worthless at that time, but some of it is gaining legs recently and selling for $30-50.  In the past, Bruce would take the bulk, as would Rich.  The criteria was that there is enough quality to average some value.  Given the market, I don't really know individual values.  I also am unlikely to put in the effort to go the eBay route, especially on bulks of junk that likely will take a long time to sell.

But it all has value to me.  Go over to my musical lobby thread.  There are a few $1000 cards in there, but there are many more that I bought for under $5.  Some for movies that few have heard from and where nobody under 60 even cares.  But my emotional attachment will leave me with a bad feeling if I simply trash it.  Seems a piece of the history I was collecting disappears, perhaps forever.  So, I end up delaying the sale and making my kids decide.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »
Except the long time collector who decides it is finally time to liquidate and not pass the burden on to his kids.

I sit here at 67 years with piles of my obsession hobby.  I decide that today is the day.  How do I decide what is junk and what should go to Bruce/Rich/Heritage.  I have stuff I bought in bulk lots 30 years ago.  It was worthless at that time, but some of it is gaining legs recently and selling for $30-50.  In the past, Bruce would take the bulk, as would Rich.  The criteria was that there is enough quality to average some value.  Given the market, I don't really know individual values.  I also am unlikely to put in the effort to go the eBay route, especially on bulks of junk that likely will take a long time to sell.

But it all has value to me.  Go over to my musical lobby thread.  There are a few $1000 cards in there, but there are many more that I bought for under $5.  Some for movies that few have heard from and where nobody under 60 even cares.  But my emotional attachment will leave me with a bad feeling if I simply trash it.  Seems a piece of the history I was collecting disappears, perhaps forever.  So, I end up delaying the sale and making my kids decide.

you know Jay, this is an issue that all collectors face. I have a warehouse full of stuff. There is loads of worthless material. I have 50,000 posters in a storage unit I'm adding to so I can sell it off. It's $5 stuff, but I'll take a dime (if I can get it). The headache of dealing with it, especially when I have so much more, isn't worth it.

.....and my collections? Hey, I already know I'm going to be losing money on that. Many expensive posters I have are worth less already than they were when I bought them 10 years ago. I mean items I paid $1000 or more for.

but that's life. I'm enjoy them now. That was my idea!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:11 PM »
My kids are already taken care of financially, so I'll probably burn my posters so they don't have to deal with my insanity.  That's the least I can do for them, if only to make sure they still have a little bit of respect for me.  A big huge bonfire.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
Thanks Rich,
I know you are more of a collector than dealer and have my problem orders of magnitude worse.  I haven't bought many bulk lots.

My collection is still small enough though that I have an emotional attachment to almost all of it. 
The money is secondary and I enjoy what I have.  But when the time comes, it would be nice to sell to someone who I know will treat it with the same respect.  Throwing it into the trash would hurt deeply.  So would putting it into bulk lots where folks bid on one item and toss the other 20.  But those set to be the only options.  I really do understand these folks who try to sell large collections intact.

Kids, collect wisely because this is something those of you who stay with it will face someday.
-Jay-

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
My kids are already taken care of financially, so I'll probably burn my posters so they don't have to deal with my insanity.  That's the least I can do for them, if only to make sure they still have a little bit of respect for me.  A big huge bonfire.

T

Has disposing of posters after you die been discussed elsewhere on the forum?  Some people are probably of the opinion that if you're dead, you won't be around to care about old brittle paper.

And that's true, but I am curious if anyone has bequeathed all or part of their collection to a museum, university, library, or other cultural institution.

If one or more of my kids was legitimately into posters, I would give the collection to them.  But if it was just going to be sold, there is some appeal to donating it to an institution.

But I know museums and such can be picky about acquisitions.  I am pretty sure there would be a taker for my propaganda posters. Mexican lobby cards, maybe not :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »

T

yep. leave your kids the money & they will love you. Leave them the posters and they'll never visit your grave...

Thanks Rich,
I know you are more of a collector than dealer

50/50

My collection is still small enough though that I have an emotional attachment to almost all of it. 
The money is secondary and I enjoy what I have.  But when the time comes, it would be nice to sell to someone who I know will treat it with the same respect.  Throwing it into the trash would hurt deeply.  So would putting it into bulk lots where folks bid on one item and toss the other 20.  But those set to be the only options.  I really do understand these folks who try to sell large collections intact.

here's my opinion Jay.
you buy dvd's and they cost $5-25. I know you don't expect to get any money out of them, so why should the posters be any different?
It's all a perception

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 12:59:24 AM »
But I know museums and such can be picky about acquisitions.  I am pretty sure there would be a taker for my propaganda posters. Mexican lobby cards, maybe not :)

they only want the material if you are also willing to bequeath a financial boon that will take care of the collection, otherwise, it will never even get catalogued

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »
Who pays $25 for a DVD?  faint2.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
Who pays $25 for a DVD?  faint2.gif

people who want the newest titles

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 01:06:07 AM »

I'm happy to wait. Especially in this day and age (aka technology), and with many of the newest titles (across the entire board) being far from stellar.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:28:19 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 01:25:30 AM »

I don't know anyone who's bought a DVD in a least 2 years.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »
I don't know anyone who's bought a DVD in a least 2 years.

T

I'm always in the $5 bin, but I understand that rich snobs like you always get freebies

:-*

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 01:29:18 AM »
I'm always in the $5 bin

No one has bought you yet?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 01:32:16 AM »
I'm always in the $5 bin, but I understand that rich snobs like you always get freebies

:-*

You don't have to be rich (or think you are). That has nothing to do with receiving free screener copies.  cheers

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »
No one has bought you yet?

they're waiting for further discounts

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
You don't have to be rich (or think you are). That has nothing to do with receiving free screener copies.  cheers

another Hollywood snob speaketh

:P

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:06 AM »
Hardly.  :P

You missed my point.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 01:51:04 AM »
Hardly.  :P

You missed my point.

can I get screener copies? tell me where.. I'll see movies I only heard about

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:56 AM »
It's an earned and worked for aspect of the business depending on what field you work in... but it has nothing to do with snobbery or wealth.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:10:33 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 02:10:49 AM »
I have a career in films going back 80 years. My real name is Alan Smithee
where do I sign up

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »
Right here, A.S.  ;D

-Jeff