Author Topic: Question about eMoviePoster?  (Read 15878 times)

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
Question about eMoviePoster?
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
I realize some of you may have some experience in this... :-D But is a 3-4month period prior to consignment listing after an arrival considered standard? For a standard one sheet, this seems a bit long to me.  But I'm nobody.  They gave me a reason for the delay due to flattening when I e-mailed back at the start of Jan.  They arrived first week of Dec, and their current plausible timeline said maybe Feb.  Feb has 23rd as the current date for a lot, but no word if my items will be in it.

[/edit] Modifying the post for reputational standpoint of eMoviePoster, not meaning to put them in a bad light.   Merely informational gathering.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:00:22 PM by Klownicle »

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Re: Question about eMoviePoster?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »
I realize some of you may have some experience in this... :-D But is a 3-4month period prior to consignment listing after an arrival considered standard? For a standard one sheet, this seems a bit crazy to me.  But I'm nobody.  They gave me a "flattening" excuse when I e-mailed back at the start of Jan.  They arrived first week of Dec, and their current plausible timeline said MAYBE Feb.  Feb has 23rd as the current date for a lot, but no word if my items will be in it.

Seriously? "They gave me a "flattening" excuse"?

Tightly rolled posters DO need to be flattened before they can be auctioned, and we have many thousands of them here waiting to flatten. I auction the vast majority of them as a service to collectors, to give them a way to sell these posters. We lose money auctioning almost all of them.

Please post your name so I can post exactly what you sent and why we have not auctioned it yet. And if you prefer not to wait, I will return them to you right away, so YOU can send them to another auction company, if you can find one that will take them.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »
I must say that I appreciate the eMovie flattening of posters when buying from there.  It makes working with the posters much easier when they arrive that way.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
I must say that I appreciate the eMovie flattening of posters when buying from there.  It makes working with the posters much easier when they arrive that way.

Thanks much. It is clear that 99+% of the buyers and consignors we deal with appreciate all we do. That is why we must wonder about the motives of those who make attacking posts, especially anonymously, missing the exact facts.

But hopefully the original poster will soon post his information, so I can state exactly what occurred. If we were wrong in any way I will post that, and suggest the best remedy possible. It is also quite possible we did nothing wrong, but that can only be determined once the facts are known.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »
Seriously? "They gave me a "flattening" excuse"?

Tightly rolled posters DO need to be flattened before they can be auctioned, and we have many thousands of them here waiting to flatten. I auction the vast majority of them as a service to collectors, to give them a way to sell these posters. We lose money auctioning almost all of them.

Please post your name so I can post exactly what you sent and why we have not auctioned it yet. And if you prefer not to wait, I will return them to you right away, so YOU can send them to another auction company, if you can find one that will take them.

First off, Thank You Bruce for your response, I do greatly appreciate the service that you and eMoviePoster provide. "Excuse" was a poor choice of words on my part in an attempt at basing my question on the reasoning given, and I am sorry for that.  It wasn't meant to come off in a derogatory manor.  I do know it must be flattened.  As mentioned, I'm nobody when it comes to knowledge in this.  What is a typical flatting time for a standard one sheet?  Is this just a bad time of the year were there are not many one sheet lots?  Just trying to get a better idea Bruce, due to the lack of information available.

As I currently see the 23rd as the next Feb auction item for standard one sheets, part of my frustration comes from not knowing when my items may be listed as I was only told maybe it might be listed in Feb from communication to the rep that responded to me.  I sent in (honestly can't recall the number, maybe 10?) posters which arrived on Dec 8th.  The rest was fluff but there was one in particular that would be worth it. 

Honestly, I have used the service once before and to my recollection it was listed fairly quickly, so with months passing I wanted to get a better idea from the community of what to expect.

[/edit] to correct date arrived.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:41:53 PM by Klownicle »

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
Correction, Jan 3rd was the last communication, they arrived Dec 8th.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
not sure what the difficulty is with photographing tightly rolled posters. I do it all the time and without having to 'flatten' them in any process.
It's called "I use magnets and my photography table has a sheet metal back so the magnets stay down"

but length of period.. 4 months is far too long for a consignor to wait to see their material sold.
Generally speaking, when people are looking to sell, they're looking to sell in a compressed time frame. Also, what the value of a consignment or of it's individual posters are, once you take them, you do expect to have to deal with them, especially when you are a large company as opposed to my one-man-army.

Obviously, if it takes 4 months before you see your posters for sale, maybe the issue is about a seller having 'more than they can handle' with too many consignments, or maybe you as an individual are just not important enough for them to pay attention too.

I have my own experience with a box of top quality stills not even being opened for 6 months and part of my consignment being mixed up with another consignor's material. (you can actually find my tale posted in the Mopo archives)

That said, when you send your consignment to someone, you have to be willing to accept the vagaries of the business and of course, the old adage 'patience is a virtue' clearly rings true

there are a couple other comments though. 1) if you accept a consignment, whether you are going to make $25 or $3.75, you have no complaint about it. Just like the guy who wonders why it's taking so long, you accepted it and have to live with it - even for $3.75 .. and 2) "Please post your name so I can post exactly what you sent and why we have not auctioned it yet. And if you prefer not to wait, I will return them to you right away, so YOU can send them to another auction company, if you can find one that will take them." is never a way to speak at a client unless you plan on telling them to screw off

------------------------------

Moving passed that, my suggestion is you try to sell them on ebay or Craigslist. There is a variety of ways to post them and they depend on how much time you wish to involve yourself with. It sounds to me that you don't want to spend very much time, so I would make up lots of 50 or 100 (50 may be best) and list them. Give as much information as you can (like a list) and a couple pictures of the best posters in each lot as well as a picture of the roll itself. You may wish to restrict sales to the USA, as 50 posters weigh approx 12-14 pounds and shipping them overseas will cost hella money.

or for Craigslist, just advertise the entire lot, for one price, with pick-up only

if you plan on selling them yourself, in lots, I recommend calling Uline https://www.uline.com/ and either order a case of 36x4 inch tubes
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3573/Tubes/Kraft-Mailing-Tubes-with-End-Caps-4-x-36-080-thick

or this 28x4x4 box
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4577/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/4-x-4-x-28-Tall-Corrugated-Boxes

you may choose the box, as for a non-usual seller, it may be easier to deal with.

use some brown kraft paper to wrap the posters before you package them and fold the ends of the paper over the ends of the poster roll to prevent what damage you can and use some peanuts or bubble wrap at the ends to fill the box & for added end protection

after you've done all that successfully, let me know, I have 250,000 posters I'm trying to sell, including bulk lots.. I could use a little help.....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
not sure what the difficulty is with photographing tightly rolled posters. I do it all the time and without having to 'flatten' them in any process.
It's called "I use magnets and my photography table has a sheet metal back so the magnets stay down"

but length of period.. 4 months is far too long for a consignor to wait to see their material sold.
Generally speaking, when people are looking to sell, they're looking to sell in a compressed time frame. Also, what the value of a consignment or of it's individual posters are, once you take them, you do expect to have to deal with them, especially when you are a large company as opposed to my one-man-army.

Obviously, if it takes 4 months before you see your posters for sale, maybe the issue is about a seller having 'more than they can handle' with too many consignments, or maybe you as an individual are just not important enough for them to pay attention too.

I have my own experience with a box of top quality stills not even being opened for 6 months and part of my consignment being mixed up with another consignor's material. (you can actually find my tale posted in the Mopo archives)

Thank You for your informed response and position.  This is all I'm looking for, communication on expectation.  I'm not here to drag someone through the mud.  By all means, Lol. I don't believe that eMoviePoster (Bruce) doesn't treat anyone in a specific manor than what he would expect to be treated.  This community uses them as I very much expect, to which I inquired about their experiences.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:11:51 PM by Klownicle »

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
Now we have a solution! I will send them Monday to movieposterbid and they can auction them for you.

Best of luck to both of you!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
Thank You for your informed response and position.  This is all I'm looking for, communication on expectation.  I'm not here to drag someone through the mud.  By all means, Lol

you're welcome

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
Now we have a solution! I will send them Monday to movieposterbid and they can auction them for you.

Best of luck to both of you!

Bruce, I'll take this as sarcasm on your part as I haven't expressly continued any remarks against your auction house or self.  In fact I stated my error and corrected my original post.  I have nothing but gratitude with you and your services.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:15:13 PM by Klownicle »

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
First off, Thank You Bruce for your response, I do greatly appreciate the service that you and eMoviePoster provide. "Excuse" was a poor choice of words on my part in an attempt at basing my question on the reasoning given, and I am sorry for that.  It wasn't meant to come off in a derogatory manor.  I do know it must be flattened.  As mentioned, I'm nobody when it comes to knowledge in this.  What is a typical flatting time for a standard one sheet?  Is this just a bad time of the year were there are not many one sheet lots?  Just trying to get a better idea Bruce, due to the lack of information available.

As I currently see the 23rd as the next Feb auction item for standard one sheets, part of my frustration comes from not knowing when my items may be listed as I was only told maybe it might be listed in Feb from communication to the rep that responded to me.  I sent in (honestly can't recall the number, maybe 10?) posters which arrived on Dec 8th.  The rest was fluff but there was one in particular that would be worth it. 

Honestly, I have used the service once before and to my recollection it was listed fairly quickly, so with months passing I wanted to get a better idea from the community of what to expect.

[/edit] to correct date arrived.

The "community" can only give anecdotal evidence, and without knowing exactly what you sent (and the condition it was in) there is no way that can help you.

But your wording WAS accusatory and negative, and there is no need for that, especially since you choose to remain anonymous.

When I return to work Monday, I will find your posters, and post a detailed explanation of what they are and why they have not yet been auctioned.

But to answer a couple of general questions:

1) Some tightly rolled posters can remain that way for months (especially newer ones) even after being placed under 100+ pounds of weight for months. We will not auction posters (especially inexpensive ones) until they lay completely flat.

2) We receive approximately 20,000 items to auction EVERY month, more than almost all auctions auction over their entire existence. We run 12,000 or so regular auctions a month. We also run a bulk lot auction once a month that contains 5,000 to 15,000 items and between the two, we are able to mostly keep up with what comes in. But REALLY low value items must be considered last, since they are all "money losers" for us. If a consignor can't wait a few months for their low value and/or tightly rolled items to be listed, they should not send them to us. But there is NO other auction that would take them, so your other option is to sell them yourself.

You clearly got off on the wrong foot here, and I am glad you are sorry.  As I said above, I will send these on to movieposterbid.

Thanks much.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
Bruce, I'll take this as sarcasm on your part as I haven't expressly continued any remarks against your auction house or self.  In fact I stated my error and corrected my original post.

No sarcasm. Are you saying I should not send them to movieposterbid? He has said he can deal with them while tightly rolled, and that will get them quickly auctioned. I will even pay the shipping, just to be done with this. Isn't that a perfect solution?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
No sarcasm. Are you saying I should not send them to movieposterbid? He has said he can deal with them while tightly rolled, and that will get them quickly auctioned. I will even pay the shipping, just to be done with this. Isn't that a perfect solution?

don't send them to me. The consignor has not asked for such a consignment to take place, and unlike your site, I only take posters with individual values of $50+

if you send them to me, I would not be able to accept them and all I would do is ship them back to klownicle and send you the bill (or even send them back to you, with a bill and you would have a 3rd cost sending them back to klownicle). I'm positive you don't want to pay double shipping, just to get the posters back to the consignor.

I will say however that if klownicle wanted to send me a consignment that I would accept, I would sell them in a timely manner and he would get service with a smile
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:24:07 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
OK, that's out. He doesn't want them.

I will return to the original plan and post full details on Monday, and then you can explore your options.

As I said, there is NO other auction that would take them, so if you can't wait until we can auction them, then your other option is to sell them yourself.

Best of luck to you either way.

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
OK, that's out. He doesn't want them.

I will return to the original plan and post full details on Monday, and then you can explore your options.

As I said, there is NO other auction that would take them, so if you can't wait until we can auction them, then your other option is to sell them yourself.

Best of luck to you either way.

Bruce, I'm responding to your PM's.

I believe this has been blown out of proportion, I've never asked anything to be done on my behalf or anything to be changed in my consignment with eMoviePoster.  I've expressed nothing but gratitude with your services to the responses here as well of fully admit to the error of my statement.

I expected this to be a public forum unrelated as such to eMoviePoster.  I was merely asking for an oppion on the matter of consigning delays that can occur with or without eMoviePoster as said auction house.  I am new to this and that is why I go to a community for input on any question I may have, including any company I may deal with.

It was not meant as a smear campaign to you or anyone else involved nor am I wanting to get in the middle of two companies.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
Bruce, I'm responding to your PM's.

I believe this has been blown out of proportion, I've never asked anything to be done on my behalf or anything to be changed in my consignment with eMoviePoster.  I've expressed nothing but gratitude with your services to the responses here as well of fully admit to the error of my statement.

I expected this to be a public forum unrelated as such to eMoviePoster.  I was merely asking for an oppion on the matter of consigning delays that can occur with or without eMoviePoster as said auction house.  I am new to this and that is why I go to a community for input on any question I may have, including any company I may deal with.

It was not meant as a smear campaign to you or anyone else involved nor am I wanting to get in the middle of two companies.

According to what you posted, you did not contact us since the beginning of January. Yet now, without contacting us about the delay, you post here with inflammatory language. That is what I objected to.

Thank you for your apology, although I do wish you had used the same language you emailed to me privately, which was massively different in tone.

But please let us put this behind us. Life is too short to go to all this trouble over ten very low value posters. Thanks.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 03:38:40 PM »
I post the above because I am now getting the distinct impression that the ten posters that started this thread were ones that the person who sent them felt they were pretty much trash, but decided to send them to us instead, and now he is complaining just 57 days after they arrived (as opposed to the "3-4month period prior to consignment listing after an arrival" posted originally).

I just want to make this clear:

This person sent us ten near-worthless posters 57 days ago, and was told 26 days later that they were flattening. They waited a month more, and then, without contacting us again, they posted here that they had sent the posters THREE TO FOUR MONTHS AGO, and that we had given them a "flattening" excuse" (since edited out of the original post).

They did not in any way indicate they were near-worthless posters, which would have had a great bearing on this.

So the above misrepresentations are what upset me, and I am glad to have a chance to set the record straight. We auction far more items than any auction anywhere in the world, and for 99.9% of them, we do a great job. There will always be a very few who have a problem, and we are glad to fix any problems as best they can be fixed, but we WON'T let people blatantly and anonymously accuse of doing something we did not do.

NOW can we please put this behind us?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
this is like Donald Trump on Twitter.. "Meryl Streep is an over-rated actress"

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
Incidentally, this entire subject relates to something I posted in my email club recently:

Did you know  that "one man's trash" is sometimes "EVERY man's trash"?

Excellent.  Utterly hilarious.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
Excellent.  Utterly hilarious.

Thanks Simes!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
I thought:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:02:24 PM by 50s »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
I thought:

The lion kicks backward with his hind leg, mauling the yappy dog's face with his sharp claws.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:58:30 PM by DekeThornton »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
are we writing Mother Goose Fairy Tales now?

Okay.. I have the next chapter:

"... then, to the lion's surprise, the yappy dog removes his mask to reveal he is the dire wolf and with his sharp claws, the dire wolf reaches out & castrates the big bad lion, throwing the lion's testicles into a campfire, so the villagers of the lion's territory can dance and sing with their spears against the backdrop of the fire against the night sky..."

who does the chapter after that?

-------

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 01:06:12 AM »
are we writing Mother Goose Fairy Tales now?

Okay.. I have the next chapter:

"... then, to the lion's surprise, the yappy dog removes his mask to reveal he is the dire wolf and with his sharp claws, the dire wolf reaches out & castrates the big bad lion, throwing the lion's testicles into a campfire, so the villagers of the lion's territory can dance and sing with their spears against the backdrop of the fire against the night sky..."

who does the chapter after that?

laugh1