Author Topic: Where to sell all these posters in one lot or singles  (Read 3477 times)

guest4892

Where to sell all these posters in one lot or singles
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:30 AM »
I bought from a lady in my small town a collection of probably  1000's of posters Easily.  They date from the early 80s until almost 2000. She managed a video store or just take them home. I bought them all in cardboard tubes & they're all rolled up.  So after going to the EMP and running about 25 posters. All we're worth money, some good money. I still have a lot to go. So how would I list them all and let people just go to eBay or whereever and bid on the whole lot at one time.......or is there a different way where I can make more money. I'm not a poster collector and I just like a Flip em.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Re: Where to sell all these posters in one lot or singles
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
eBay lets you create listings for free (or almost free) so that is your best bet. Don't do auctions at low prices hoping for lots of bids.

Start them at whatever you want to get for them (after eBay fees), so you either get your price or they don't sell.

Whatever you do, DON'T send them to me, unless you solely send the very best ones. I can't sell the rest of them for hardly anything, and it is a waste of time for both of us.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Well, the first part is to not expect to make a lot of money off this.

Since you bought these from a video store owner, I would expect that these are video release posters and not posters from the film release.  video posters are generally only worth a fraction of a theatrical poster.  However there are exceptions.

When you check a sales database, such as emovieposter, it is important to add the qualifier 'video' to the search criteria.  Bruce is very good at including that tag.

If you plan to sell on eBay, you need to note video poster as well, or you will get complaints and likely judgements against you for misrepresentation.

I think I would bundle these into small groups with common themes, say Disney or 80's comedy.  Be aware that packaging and shipping costs are significant.  They eat into the final price people are willing to spend.  Most dealers charge around $10-15 shipping for 1-20 posters, so you need to take that into account.

That leads into packaging.  You need too ship in sturdy tubes.  Anything less ends up with a high rate of returns for damaged posters.  Never, never, never use the post office triangle tubes.  I would suggest you read around this site for packaging issues and suggestions.

As for bulk sales, I would need to see a listing with conditions.  Without that I am going to assume they are all junk posters, like the Care Bears II or Pauly Shore 'You're in the Army Now'  which are even questionable as wrapping paper.  Sorry if I am being too negative, but I really am trying to help.  I have looked through several lots just like the one you describe and have passed every time.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
sorry about answering again.  Didn't realize this was essentially a duplicate thread.

FWIW, you should take a look at Bruce's bulk lot auction.  Here is a search for video bulk lots.  The auction is closing today and the majority have no bids at all.  I don't expect any of these lots of 20ish posters/ea to close over $5.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/video/15.html

Also note that on a consignment lot, Bruce will take a 75% commission (and lose money).  So, if your lot sold for $5, it would return $1.25 for 20 posters, or about 6 cents for each poster you had in that lot.
-Jay-

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
sorry about answering again.  Didn't realize this was essentially a duplicate thread.

FWIW, you should take a look at Bruce's bulk lot auction.  Here is a search for video bulk lots.  The auction is closing today and the majority have no bids at all.  I don't expect any of these lots of 20ish posters/ea to close over $5.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/video/15.html

Also note that on a consignment lot, Bruce will take a 75% commission (and lose money).  So, if your lot sold for $5, it would return $1.25 for 20 posters, or about 6 cents for each poster you had in that lot.

And of course it goes without saying that the amount of labor involved in flattening, individually photographing, creating an auction for, and then invoicing and packing said bulk lot of 20 posters will likely be a good two hours of time, costing us at least $25, for which we will receive $3.75. That is why I said above that, whatever he wants to do, he should NOT send any but the best of these to us.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
I bought from a lady in my small town a collection of probably  1000's of posters Easily.  They date from the early 80s until almost 2000. She managed a video store or just take them home. I bought them all in cardboard tubes & they're all rolled up.  So after going to the EMP and running about 25 posters. All we're worth money, some good money. I still have a lot to go. So how would I list them all and let people just go to eBay or where ever and bid on the whole lot at one time.......or is there a different way where I can make more money.

I'm not a poster collector and I just like a Flip em.

So you have no interest in the hobby at all, as far as collecting goes?

Craigslist is certainly another option. List the most collectible titles ( to generate interest) after deciding a price for the whole lot. With that many posters, offering local pickup would be easy and save you the hassle of having to mail anything.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:18:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4892

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
Way to many scammers on CL. Best poster so far is robo cop in perfect condition. Got two really. Ones robocop 2, double sided and the origanal that sold for 150$ on EMP.

guest4892

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
And the pumpkin head poster. I've looked at some. Need to start writing them down..... so many.