Author Topic: Empire GWTW poster - Linenback - should I?  (Read 3432 times)

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
Empire GWTW poster - Linenback - should I?
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
Just acquired an Empire Strikes Back GWTW folded poster now rolled. I believe it is in excellent condition (maybe C8). The question is should I linen back this poster and if so who would you recommend for this process.
Rudy

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Empire GWTW poster - Linenback - should I?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »
Rudy, if in excellent condition, perhaps leave it as is? Or do the folds bother you? Though you said this was a folded poster that is now rolled. So does it have that wavy appearance to it?

Mario Cueva of Lumiere, Poster Mountain or 4th Cone are restorers to consider, too (along with others that might be recommended). But STAY AWAY from Posterfix.

Could you post a pic?

And congrats on the pickup.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:55:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
The question is should I linen back this poster

why?

(and .. NO)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »
read the many threads in this forum on linenbacking.  You will find many collectors that refuse to buy a linenbacked poster.  You will find a few that prefer their posters backed.

If you plan to display this poster for a long time, then do whatever pleases you.  Our opinions are not relevant.

If you plan to sell the poster at some point, I recommend you don't bother.  I have yet to see a poster where the sale price increased significantly because it was backed.  I have never even heard of a poster where the increased value exceeded the cost of linenbacking.
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
Don't listen to them Rudy...you back that b*stard if you want to, ya hear

ps. Dan @ Backingtothefuture  He is Canadian so he is patient, AND he thinks brushstrokes through before issuing executive orders

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
I am not averse to linen backing.

But even so, I usually only back if I think it will either make the poster more suitable for display, or is needed to halt further deterioration.

Now Mexican paper (what I collect) is so crummy that often backing is needed just to stabilize the piece.

But if a poster is in respectable condition, I would leave it as is.

As others mentioned, cost of linen backing is usually not recouped when you sell, except perhaps when the poster was in a very poor state to begin with (and is a highly desirable title).

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
If it were me with your specific Empire Strikes Back poster, I'd leave it. But ultimately the decision is yours!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 03:43:03 PM »
I have yet to see a poster where the sale price increased significantly because it was backed.  I have never even heard of a poster where the increased value exceeded the cost of linenbacking.

correct, tattered posters such a the Frankenstein 3sh excepted

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
I'll try to upload a photo soon. Regarding the poster's condition,it is surprising in very good condition maybe because it was stored rolled. The fold lines are obvious but I have seen worst. Thanks everyone for your opinion but I am still on the fence on this.
Rudy

Offline Communicationsguy

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
Hey Rudy,

I will admit up front that I am a pro-linen backing advocate and the vast majority of my collection is linen backed.

I strongly believe linen backing is a benefit because it stabilizes and preserves your poster. I have had posters linen backed for 20 years and if they are stored and handled properly, they will maintain their quality and excellent presentation. The other consideration is the presentation. A folded poster that has been linen backed and restored displays far better than one that is folded. Check out the framed posters we linen backed for The Best Little Film House in the UK, they are very impressive... www.thebestlittlefilmhouse.com

I agree with previous comments that it may not increase the value significantly, but the fact that linen backing stabilizes and preserves your poster for the long-term and the nicer presentation are strong considerations.

When it comes to posters that are in rough condition, linen backing is a no-brainer.

Food for thought.

Cheers, Dan Miles, Backingtothefuture.   

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
If you want to display it and the lines really bother you, back it.  If you don't want to display it, lay it flat in a humidity free environment and it will look as good in 20 years as it does today.  I would not roll a folded poster over a long period of time, it stresses the fold lines.  I hate linenbacking posters, but if I do, and I have as recently as last week, it has to be for absolute necessity.  The GWTW poster is nice, but it is not rare, thus not a necessity in my book.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Hey Rudy,

I will admit up front that I am a pro-linen backing advocate and the vast majority of my collection is linen backed.

I strongly believe linen backing is a benefit because it stabilizes and preserves your poster. I have had posters linen backed for 20 years and if they are stored and handled properly, they will maintain their quality and excellent presentation. The other consideration is the presentation. A folded poster that has been linen backed and restored displays far better than one that is folded. Check out the framed posters we linen backed for The Best Little Film House in the UK, they are very impressive... www.thebestlittlefilmhouse.com

I agree with previous comments that it may not increase the value significantly, but the fact that linen backing stabilizes and preserves your poster for the long-term and the nicer presentation are strong considerations.

When it comes to posters that are in rough condition, linen backing is a no-brainer.

Food for thought.

Cheers, Dan Miles, Backingtothefuture.   

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your insight. I have a few linenbacked posters and when done right really add to the appearance especially for previously folded posters.
Rudy