Author Topic: February 2017  (Read 33603 times)

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
Re: February 2017
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Hi All!

I haven't been here in awhile, only because I've really had nothing to share lol. And since I'm new to collecting, I don't think I have anything to add to the conversation. But that was then, this is now...
I gave myself a Russian Star Wars poster for Christmas : )
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
This is SUCH a cool design. And so unique.

Congrats on a great self Xmas gift and finding a copy! clap clap

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
Thanks!

I'm really proud of myself, and of it. Which is why I got it framed. It makes me feel good  :)
Does that make sense? It's like when I got a new car, I kept looking and it and was so happy and proud.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
Makes 100% total sense.  thumbsup.gif

Did you get it from an auction house? Ebay?

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
No, from an art house actually. They sell mostly paintings actually, but I came to find they had a small mish-mash accelectic mix of posters too.
Favorites?
-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Is your style much less common than the other Russian style that has more a "wild cat" image?

EMP has only sold one of your style, back in 2010:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10441120.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:18:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2017, 10:17:20 PM »
And since I'm new to collecting, I don't think I have anything to add to the conversation.

That's a huge misconception in my opinion.  No poster is too big or too small to share, too cheap or too expensive.  We all collect different things.  There are a lot of people on this forum posting stuff that I would never collect.  It doesn't stop me from appreciating it.  If someone posts a $3k poster, it should not stop you from posting a $15 poster you enjoy,  Chances are no one cares about the $3k poster, since it's out of reach to most, while everyone will enjoy your $15.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
Nice Rock poster, btw.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2017, 10:29:54 PM »
That's a huge misconception in my opinion.  No poster is too big or too small to share, too cheap or too expensive.  We all collect different things.  There are a lot of people on this forum posting stuff that I would never collect.  It doesn't stop me from appreciating it.  If someone posts a $3k poster, it should not stop you from posting a $15 poster you enjoy,  Chances are no one cares about the $3k poster, since it's out of reach to most, while everyone will enjoy your $15.

T

I hear ya, T. That is a good perspective. I should be better with that. Just a little intimidating, but you do make a valid point.
Favorites?
-

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »
Is your style much less common than the other Russian style that has more a "wild cat" image?

EMP has only sold one of your style, back in 2010:

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/archiveitem/10441120.html

I definitely don't think it is as common (and your link is a good example I think). (Of course I'm open to being wrong).

It was a double win for me. The gallery had 2 star wars posters- this one, and a dated Revenge of the Jedi. I thought to myself, "as much as I always wanted ROTJ, I see them come up for sale often. I've only seen this Russian poster in a book, AND I think it's cool. Let me get this one now instead..."
Favorites?
-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »

I definitely don't think it is as common (and your link is a good example I think). (Of course I'm open to being wrong).

It was a double win for me. The gallery had 2 star wars posters- this one, and a dated Revenge of the Jedi. I thought to myself, "as much as I always wanted ROTJ, I see them come up for sale often. I've only seen this Russian poster in a book, AND I think it's cool. Let me get this one now instead..."

Sounds like you made the right choice! And you went for it.  thumbsup.gif

Our resident SW expert, "Undead" (Mike), Im sure, can help in the rarity dept., too.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:58:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:48 AM »
McFree, that IS a nice poster. And I agree with T and Jeff. Don't be bashful. Even though you are a "beginner", we ALL had to start somewhere.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »

Very nice poster, McFree.
Don't see this one around often.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words & compliments on my poster  :)
Favorites?
-

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »

+1 on your Christmas Gift, Mcfree... can't say I've ever seen that one before. Great find. thumbsup.gif

And as of others have said, don't be afraid to post any and everything... the varied tastes of folks on this board might surprise you, it did me.

Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
Yeah Merry Christmas! Thats a cool one for sure.

"Goonies never die!"  Here is a great addition to my collection.  nice and clean rolled map style.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
Yeah Merry Christmas! Thats a cool one for sure.

"Goonies never die!"  Here is a great addition to my collection.  nice and clean rolled map style.

Lucky you! That's a great one.. looks like it's in fantastic condition to boot... congratulations!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Looks pristine and never used! Good on you, Jason.  cheers

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
thanks, I looked for a long time several times a day.  Definitely is a good example of being patient vs. paying out the ass. For how long I looked the two options (in terms of pros and cons) are a tie in my mind. Now I wonder if I could arrange a tradesky for Matts finds this month ;)

Here are two Rogue Ones

Rogue One International

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27x40 I only thought these were minis for the opening day giveaway but they were also made as OS.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
Cool helmet style Rogue there, too, Jason.  thumbup
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:57:08 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
Very nice pick-ups  !  Kudos
Favorites?
-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
So I don't usually share my new gear on this thread, 1) because I have a website and it would be redundant, 2) because I buy more than 100 posters a month and it would be overwhelming, and 3) because nothing excites me enough to post.  But once in a blue moon I get something that truly works for me.  Like this Swan Italian poster by Ercole Brini (55x78in) I recently acquired.

Probably means nothing to most, I get that, but I consider Grace Kelly the most beautiful actress to have ever graced the silver screen, and this is one of the better posters of her.

T
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:14:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Brini had the eye, no doubt about it. Kelly looks stunning on that poster. Beautiful.

Is this poster backed? I only make out the faintest of fold lines, as though it has been laying flat for a long time.

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
It means something to me - I think she, and the poster are gorgeous. I couldn't bear having something like that and not displaying it.

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
Stunning (both her and the poster)
Favorites?
-