Author Topic: I love musicals! and I love lobbies  (Read 15256 times)

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
Re: I love musicals! and I love lobbies
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Great Collection! Well done.
Rudy

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
Just picked this one up from Bruce's major.  I feel I stole it.  Very hard to find early Fred and Ginger paper and this is their first starring role (1934)
-Jay-

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »
Just picked this one up from Bruce's major.  I feel I stole it.  Very hard to find early Fred and Ginger paper and this is their first starring role (1934)

Very nice pick up. Gotta love Edward Everett Horton, as well!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
I've let this thread get a bit stale.  Here are a few I have acquired this year of musical LCs

-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
How do you search for Musicals lobbies?

There are obviously many titles over many years for such.  Does yours mean a task of literally looking through every lobby for sale on every medium and auction site??!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
pretty much.  I will use search terms to try and narrow down.  For example, on eBay I will select entertainment memorabilia - movie memorabilia - lobby cards - US pre 1970 or other similar ways to narrow.  Then I use the keyword musical.  That generally gives me too much and eliminates a few possibilities, so do a wider search if I have the time.

Now that I have much of what I need, I use the want list from bruce.  Phillip at MPE usually has a more manageable auction, so I can quickly sift.

Hey, its a process.  Isn't it pretty much the same way everyone finds stuff?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:28:51 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:21 PM »
I've let this thread get a bit stale.  Here are a few I have acquired this year of musical LCs

thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
Hey, its a process.  Isn't it pretty much the same way everyone finds stuff?

It is every bit a process.  I guess you have answered my question which was primarily, do people selling Elvis LCs stick in the word Musical on their sales pitch or subject line.

For my part, I rely on people putting the word Bond into the subject line.  But if that isn't there, I will regularly go deeper into film titles - of which, there are only 25.  That said, and pertinent to your task, sellers of such material tend not to stick in the all encompassing word, Espionage.  And you are looking at more titles than 25, I am sure...!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
It is every bit a process.  I guess you have answered my question which was primarily, do people selling Elvis LCs stick in the word Musical on their sales pitch or subject line.

For my part, I rely on people putting the word Bond into the subject line.  But if that isn't there, I will regularly go deeper into film titles - of which, there are only 25.  That said, and pertinent to your task, sellers of such material tend not to stick in the all encompassing word, Espionage.  And you are looking at more titles than 25, I am sure...!

Well, I tend to separate stuff into categories.  Fred and Ginger, pre-1940, golden age 1940-70, modern such as Little Shop of Horrors or Grease.  Even there, I will work to get complete sets of the iconic titles from Astaire, Kelly, Garland, Keel, Ann Miller, etc.  The lesser stuff I only go after a single card, or an opportunistic purchase.

I bet your Bond stuff gets divided into at least Connery, Moore others, and possibly those that Flemming actually wrote.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »
Great Rio and you should hob-nob with Jerry Murbach (www.doctormacro.com), who is a big-time LC collector, although his site oddly just has thousands of HQ stills.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 06:00:15 AM »
Well, I tend to separate stuff into categories.  Fred and Ginger, pre-1940, golden age 1940-70, modern such as Little Shop of Horrors or Grease.  Even there, I will work to get complete sets of the iconic titles from Astaire, Kelly, Garland, Keel, Ann Miller, etc.  The lesser stuff I only go after a single card, or an opportunistic purchase.

I bet your Bond stuff gets divided into at least Connery, Moore others, and possibly those that Flemming actually wrote.

Interesting.

As for my efforts, nope...just the films in general.  Being that there are only 25 films, the searching is not that arduous.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »
Yesterday was a good day.  Stuff showed up from Heritage and emovieposter at the same time.

A couple to add to my Fred and Ginger collection.  I'm getting closer to my gotta have them all goal:

Really like the whimsy here.

Heavily trimmed, but somewhat hard to find.  Got 3 for under $20, and I am thinking about having this one restored.

-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »
Throw in a couple more recent acquisitions

-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
and some I overlooked recent acquisitions

I am getting close to having a card from each Rogers/Astaire musical.  Still looking for a decent Swing Time card and an original release for Follow the Fleet.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
 clap clap clap bed1 clap clap clap

Well done, Jay!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
clap clap clap bed1 clap clap clap

Well done, Jay!
Agreed!  Thanks for posting so many great lobbies!  Jay, do you like Rita Hayworth and Astaire cards, too?  Okie

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
Beautiful cards.  I love lobby cards, too.  Do you have any Holiday Inn cards?

Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
Beautiful cards.  I love lobby cards, too.  Do you have any Holiday Inn cards?

Matthew

No.  I've only seen them a couple of times and the bidding is vicious.
-Jay-

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
No.  I've only seen them a couple of times and the bidding is vicious.

Jay,

I have 7 of 8 of the set of Holiday Inn cards.  For that one missing card I have been searching over 9 years.  It did come up on Ebay about 4 years ago but that card was in very bad condition so I let it pass. 

Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:57 PM »
Jay,

I have 7 of 8 of the set of Holiday Inn cards.  For that one missing card I have been searching over 9 years.  It did come up on Ebay about 4 years ago but that card was in very bad condition so I let it pass. 

Matthew

I can relate.  I have a couple of 7/8 sets I have been looking at completing for a long time.  I've got a singin' in the rain set that I have been building a card at a time since 1994.  Just missing 1 card.
-Jay-

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
These are gorgeous, Jay. Beautiful collection - thanks for sharing.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
Jay,

Matthew

I would have bought and had it restored...  These can be restored without backing etc.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
I would have bought and had it restored...  These can be restored without backing etc.

Maybe, but can it be restored in an economic sense.  I generally find that quotes to do restoration are higher than simply being patient and waiting for a better copy.

In instances like Matt's though, I have been known to buy the card as insurance.  I can always have it restored in the future if necessary, and resell it if a better one comes along.
-Jay-

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
Maybe, but can it be restored in an economic sense.  I generally find that quotes to do restoration are higher than simply being patient and waiting for a better copy.

In instances like Matt's though, I have been known to buy the card as insurance.  I can always have it restored in the future if necessary, and resell it if a better one comes along.

This particular card was in pretty bad shape.  It still sold for, if memory serves, around $150.  A confession to make: I have never had anything restored.  There are a few posters I own which would be candidates, but they are low dollar items.  Plus, I am more inclined to keep the poster original with no changes.  I know that goes against the grain of most collectors, and I am sure the restoration would look beautiful, but I prefer original plus blemishes over restored.

Matthew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
This particular card was in pretty bad shape.  It still sold for, if memory serves, around $150.  A confession to make: I have never had anything restored.  There are a few posters I own which would be candidates, but they are low dollar items.  Plus, I am more inclined to keep the poster original with no changes.  I know that goes against the grain of most collectors, and I am sure the restoration would look beautiful, but I prefer original plus blemishes over restored.

Matthew

No need to confess or feel guilty.  I have bought a few restored items, but I also haven't commissioned any restoration work.  Usually, stuff comes up often enough that patience is a better strategy.  I wonder in your case. 

I am very tempted to have some work done on one of the 42nd Street lobbies I showed earlier in this thread.  Paid next to nothing, and the areas cut out are mostly blank border.
-Jay-