Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 249655 times)

Carson

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
Ohhhhh.. hey now.

right then..

WOW..

Some posters are so unheard of it's just comical and both of those are hilariously rare. It's always the posters I never knew existed that tickle me most. Thanks for sharing those, Erich. Wow. It's tough to explain to people the difference in 'rare' and 'random chance' but those two define random chance to me. "Rare" would be a poster that holds the possibility of another example surfacing. Some one will see your post and actually put "Tron B0" on their want list. Not to make little of their thinking, but yeah, I'd not hold your breath for another The Black Hole or Tron B0. Good grief. That's a unicorn pairing if I've ever seen one. Thanks again for posting those. Fun.

linder1

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
Yeah, it's like duelling unicorns, crossed horns, isn't it??

I'm glad you guys can appreciate the meaning (??) of these.

And right, anyone can go ahead and put a Tron B0 on their wish list...

I can't of course disclose EXACTLY how I got these, but I will just say "JAPAN"... I bought them knowing they were "king size" (in Japanese), which I interpreted as B1 size -- that's what it means 99% of the time.  That would be rare and exciting enough.  But I just about shat myself when I got this tube today and saw what size it was.  Looking at the outside of the tube I thought the B1's had been rolled sideways -- I just couldn't fathom that there would be B0's inside.

By the way I have another B0 that came with them for "Twilight Zone" which is of course also uber rare (unicorn) but I don't really care about that one...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010!  Yes!!

linder1

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
Just a side note that there is a Japanese B1 for Black Hole that is relatively similar to the US paper, except of course better with a nice big Maximilian in the middle of it.  Wish I had a pic but I don't.  Now that one is actually on my wish list.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
Holiday has a "Planet Terror" unicorn. Tom Loce is selling one on Ebay for $1,250, claiming that it is a test proof and that, after studio execs ordered changes to it, "this print run was destroyed except for a very few that were given to people close to the industry!"  

I don't know where Loce got his poster, I don't even know if his story is true, although it makes a little bit of sense.  But because Loce said it, it must be a lie. 

What I do know is that I got four of these international posters a while back (two for each movie).  I kept two and traded the other two to Holiday, who I believe traded them to someone else recently.  They came directly from Tarantino (please don't ask) and are indeed extremely rare.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »
Just a side note that there is a Japanese B1 for Black Hole that is relatively similar to the US paper, except of course better with a nice big Maximilian in the middle of it.  Wish I had a pic but I don't.  Now that one is actually on my wish list.

Maximilian is disgusting!  He came to USC when I was there to promote a movie he was in, we had dinner with him afterward, and he totally hit on my girlfriend at the time.  He must have been 65, married, she was 23.  He's a total perv, and coming from me, trust me, it means something.  Not a fan!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

linder1

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »
Well, he did get the part of a giant red evil robot.  If the shoe fits...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »
dude Erich....huge score!!  B0's of any kind are so rare.  To me, they are like finding a meteorite.  In fact, it might be easier to find a meteorite than to find either one of those again.  That Tron deserves a frame for sure.

On a side note, i have actually seen that Black Hole B1 you speak of, but it was in dismal condition so I passed on it.  I saw the B1 equivalent to that Tron as well.......man, those B0's are so cool I dont even know what to say!

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
I have heard these were printed but I sure as heck cannot find any.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:17 PM »
Erich, those B0s are absolutely staggering! Truly pedigree Unicorns, that's for sure :)

Dale, are they quad size aimed at the US market (US cinema chains spotted at the bottom)?
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
I was told they were 27x40. I had inquired about them on an Elm Street board a couple years ago and someone confirmed that they had a set.

Carson

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Great looking Indy mylar, Dale.

An artist rendition of a rare event that recently occurred at Stonehenge. The lower star is an explosion of light seen world wide the moment Erich uncapped the B0s.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
That's the shit Carson.  I think I will get one of those molester vans and have a scene like it airbrushed on the side.  Maybe i can get some chicks then  :P

Anyway, here are a couple of more of mine
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
I'd say the Ferris Bueller International qualifies as a "unicorn" given its recent $1000+ price tag:

linder1

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »

An artist rendition of a rare event that recently occurred at Stonehenge. The lower star is an explosion of light seen world wide the moment Erich uncapped the B0s.

I finally found the design for the full back tattoo I've been wanting.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2010, 01:15:49 AM »
I guess these would probably be the unicorns in my collection. All of them took me some time to locate a couple of them I very lucky on. So I give you two recent posters and two old posters. I do have a few posters that I know either I have the only one ever made and or I am one of two people who have one of two ever made. I might post them up sometime but I figured they weren't that important to most people outside of Holiday and myself.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »
gotta give some love to the Django tatekan!
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:04 AM »
These really are superb, Erich.  Congrats on finding them.  How awesome!

H

Prepare yourselves...

I was literally shaking when I unrolled these two tonight:

TRON B0 (40" X 58")

The poster is stunning.  Beautiful colors and in very decent shape for something of this size.

BLACK HOLE B0 (40" X 58")

I have no clue what is going on with this poster.  Maybe I forgot about the scene where Maximilian meets the three vinyl corset wearing Japanese fembots???  It's original release.

Holy **** I am happy today.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »
Dirty Harry on MPF has this prototype Kilian/Star Trek "30th Anniversary" gold mylar poster. (I'm trying to get him over here.) Just a handful of these exist. (This one has cast sigs on it.) Paramount disapproved this design and it was never produced.  I like it - too bad it wasn't produced:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
I recently acquired one of my unicorns, so it is probably ok that I'm posting this.  I would have preferred one in better condition, but you take what you can get when it comes to unicorns, right?  Still trying to decide if I should restore this one or not... I'm thinking maybe no.  It is not falling apart.  And if it is ok for any poster to look tired and beat down, Deliverance would it be it.

I guess there is no hurry anyway as my wife absolutely will not let me display it!  She is totally grossed out by the huge vein-y eyeball staring into her soul... either that or the canoe-penetration/ass-rape symbolism, I can't tell which... maybe both.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2010, 01:50:21 AM »
Here's my unicorn from Iron Giant production designer Mark Whiting.  It's very cool, very retro.  Sadly, it was rejected by the marketing team and didn't become the one sheet it should've. It was later released as a giclee print run of 250 (not sure of the size), where it sold out quickly and has disappeared......   Anybody got one???

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
Oh that Iron Giant is fabulous.  Had not seen that before.
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
Agreed, great movie and thats a freaking nice art.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
Thanks, I've only seen two before... both already on linen.  Kinoart currently has one listed and Bruce sold what appeared to be the first one at auction last year.  Other than that, nada.  Deliverance is such a great movie, but I find most of the paper pretty lacking.  The 3-sheet is all kinds of cool... I wish that image had made it onto the 1-sheet.  This canoe-through-the-eye poster is just so insane that I had to track one down.

BTW, good call on Iron Giant concept-Metropolis connection!  I knew it looked familiar...

bannister

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »
I think my Unicorn would have to be the Superman Lives 1-sheet.
Mine would have to be The Superman Re-release posters. Apparently there is a black ds paper version and a mylar version. I actually saw the mylar version at my local theatre when the film was re-released in San Antonio. I just figured I would pick one up on ebay. I didn't know that it would only get the re-release in San Antonio, so there weren't many posters made.

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2010, 05:23:41 AM »
Here's one of my unicorns: a Japanese tatekan poster for PEEPING TOM.
I had always hoped that a tatekan existed for this title but never seen one, and neither had my Japanese friends who had been collecting for decades. Then two years ago I was able to acquire several rare posters from someone near Tokyo who was exiting the hobby. To my surprise he not only offered me a PEEPING TOM B2 but also a near-mint tatekan. That's one of the pieces in my collection I will probably never sell.

Armin