Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 247545 times)

easyenders

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
i would like a:

'force of evil'
'body and soul' (both garfield)
'double indemnity'
'get carter' uk quad
a nice Universal 'frankenstein'.....surely not too much to ask.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »
Unicorn; n.; a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead.

But this is a poster forum, so a unicorn in terms of posters would be those posters that you have heard tales or seen pictures of but you do not really believe exist beyond that until you see one yourself with your own eyes.  I won't ask which unicorns you are searching for, but some of us have such posters in our collection.  Lets see them!  

My 2:

Sweet!  Do the other characters of the Prestige exist to your knowledge?  You're the first person I've met that actually has even one.

After hunting for YEARS after seeing your Pi b2, I finally found one.  I just picked up the chirashi for the other two versions of Pi.  One of the most aweome posters in my collection, but interesting that it's really a special size, not exactly a b2 size.  Any info on that, Schan?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »
Wow - great topic!  I do have two rare posters, although they certainly are not nearly as impressive as Pi and The Prestige.

I bought a "printers proof" of a Girl Next Door video poster from Skiper/Roger.  It's a different pose from the other versions (check out these versions on MPDB).  Thierry says he's seen this version pop up occasionally but I can't find one for sale now.

I also bought the rare double-sided Jackie Brown/Bridget Fonda movie poster from Holiday.  No dealers sell the DS version of Fonda and it's never been auctioned at Emovieposter or Heritage.  Once in a blue moon it pops up on Ebay - Saw snagged one for $7 by pure chance.

Girl Next Door is hot!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Surely Thierry has one?  I have his address somewhere...you two can just make a pact that whomever makes it out of the house alive gets to keep the treasure...OR you could share it...6 months in one house, 6 months the other.

Does someone have a link the LOTR poster you are talking about...I'm intrigued now...

After marklawd picked his up, I managed to find one too. It's a well-done poster and is clearly not a cheap Thai print.  I tend to agree that the HSBC or whatever the story was, is true.  The poster has the right feel for where it originated.  I think you can find it in my collection pics, Ves, if you go to my site in the US/International section -- www mypostercollection com
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
Mine would probably be a number of the promo posters done for the TV series, Babylon 5.  I have a handful, but there's two other handfuls of those posters out there done when the series was with Warner and then after with Pten.  Not the commercial drek, but the promo stuff done by the studios.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »
Sweet!  Do the other characters of the Prestige exist to your knowledge?  You're the first person I've met that actually has even one.

After hunting for YEARS after seeing your Pi b2, I finally found one.  I just picked up the chirashi for the other two versions of Pi.  One of the most aweome posters in my collection, but interesting that it's really a special size, not exactly a b2 size.  Any info on that, Schan?

I do not know if the other character posters exist for The Prestige.  I have never seen another one.  I got it in the summer of '07 sometime, and the seller did not have any more of them.  I will tell you that it is a UK character one sheet because it has a .uk website printed at the bottom.  Also, it is slightly shorter than a standard one sheet (39.25 if I remember correctly).  The picture if kind of deceiving because unless you are 6-8 feet away, you see only dots and cannot make out Mr. Bale.

As far as the Pi B2, I had been meaning to ask if yours was about an inch short of standard B2 size.  I guess it is.  I tried to get some info on it, but to no avail.  The Chirashi (at lease those I have) is interesting in that 2 of them advertise showings at a specific theater starting on 10 July 1999 at 9:20 PM.  That showing ran through 26 November.  The third (the black one) advertises a 7 pm showtime running from 20 November to 3 December.  Obviously, it was a pretty limited release.  I have to think that the distribution companies, primarily Uplink with Gaga and ArtistHouse as secondaries, decided to use a smaller printing to save money.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:43:55 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

linder1

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 01:11:03 AM »
I've posted my other unicorns elsewhere in the past, so here's a new one... just got it after looking for it for about 4 years-ish.

Italian Job tatekan

Please excuse the mess.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 01:17:43 AM »
I've posted my other unicorns elsewhere in the past, so here's a new one... just got it after looking for it for about 4 years-ish.

Italian Job tatekan

Please excuse the mess.

Very Nice!

Chad

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
I have a list of wanted unicorns......but I ain't sharing it with you scavengers!

and by the way...the esb intl. 1sh is sold/on hold.

and if anybody wants to send in any of their "unicorns" for fixed price on site consignment where we'll get top dollar for it....just give me a call.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/consignment.htm#dfg

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
and by the way...the esb intl. 1sh is sold/on hold.

Congratulations, Dave on selling the Empire Strikes Back International.  Now that it's been sold, any chance you, Bruce, or the consignor will pony up any more information about it?  Since Star Wars started the whole movie poster collecting craze and this poster is presumably the rarest poster in the Star Wars series, it's a shame the movie poster collecting community doesn't know exactly where the consignor got it....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »
The rarest american poster........to call it the rarest in all of Star Wars would probably be incorrect.  Ever seen a Hungarian star wars poster?

The triple bill one sheet is also one that I think would qualify as rarer.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
The rarest american poster........to call it the rarest in all of Star Wars would probably be incorrect.  Ever seen a Hungarian star wars poster?

The triple bill one sheet is also one that I think would qualify as rarer.

Well, only two are known to exist, so numerically it is the rarest.  Plus, there's an intriguing backstory to that poster - the inclusion of Billy Dee Williams and exclusion from the official ESB poster.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
2 known, maybe some unknown.  There were 9 theaters that showed the back-to-back-to-back of the 3 original films.  they received 2 posters each.  One of them was a canadian theater that had its own poster.  So there were 16 produced of the american triple bill, 2 of the canadian.  I am not sure if anyone has these or has any idea where they are.  
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Here's one for the vintage fans.  Earlier this year Heritage sold the only known copy of Black Cat Style B for $334,000.  It really is cool - maybe I should be collecting more vintage posters (or digging around old theaters to find them)....

Here's the Heritage "sell":

Although there are four copies known to exist of the Style-A "blue" poster - Heritage sold a copy in March 2007 for $286,800 - this is the only known example of this extremely powerful and more horrific, striking Style-B one sheet which happens to be even more rare than one sheets for the other Golden Age Universal Studio horror giants of the day - Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Bride of Frankenstein - and is at least every bit as great in the world of serious movie poster collectors. There are so few vintage horror posters which have never surfaced and aside from a very small black and white illustration in the advertising campaign press book, this poster has never been seen before in real life-till now, in all of its colorful and chilling glory! Considering it's mega-cult status among Universal horror aficionados, combined with it's stunning bold, dynamic colors that seem to leap from the paper and the superb stone lithography printing and artwork including Karloff's embodiment of the Devil incarnate, Heritage believes this is one of the greatest posters to ever come to auction.

P.S. And the Black Cat Style A is the bomb too....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
I prefer the style A myself, but have no illusions about ever being able to afford such a thing.........nice to be able to look though
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

like I said, its on hold for a client. Maybe after he pays, the consignor will share his story in detail with the world.......then again maybe not! ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
Almost forgot about this one - the Canadian(?) LA Confidential.  Long thread on it on MPF a while back.  Only a handful have ever surfaced.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
Holiday has a "Planet Terror" unicorn. Tom Loce is selling one on Ebay for $1,250, claiming that it is a test proof and that, after studio execs ordered changes to it, "this print run was destroyed except for a very few that were given to people close to the industry!"  

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »

Italian Job tatekan

Please excuse the mess.

the absolute best paper i have seen for this film.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

linder1

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »
OK this may not be a unicorn, but it was to me:

If anyone knows what this is I would be very interested.

Carson

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
Sweet art on that one, Erich. Happy New Year.

Just got back from Santa Fe for the holidays and I'm telling you.. best food on planet earth. Please try a place called Tomasitas if you're ever there.

Schan, I was talking to another collector re the Pi B2. I assume yours is oddly narrow as well around 18" wide. A full 2" narrower than most. The videodrome illustrates the narrowness.

They may have been offered a discount on the odd size. It may have been left over stock. The narrow size may be a subliminal 'artistic' touch, no way of knowing really. Erich may know. I find the odd size fitting as it's such a misfit film.

linder1

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »
Guys I'm not sure on the "why" on the Pi B2... I try not to ask why anymore.  What I can tell you is that this is the size for this poster, as well as the black version.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »
Yeah Carson, mine is the same.  I wonder if other B2's from Cinema Rise showings are the same size.........
Schan
My Poster Gallery

linder1

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
Prepare yourselves...

I was literally shaking when I unrolled these two tonight:

TRON B0 (40" X 58")

The poster is stunning.  Beautiful colors and in very decent shape for something of this size.

BLACK HOLE B0 (40" X 58")

I have no clue what is going on with this poster.  Maybe I forgot about the scene where Maximilian meets the three vinyl corset wearing Japanese fembots???  It's original release.

Holy **** I am happy today.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
Black Hole: I have no clue what is going on with this poster.  Maybe I forgot about the scene where Maximilian meets the three vinyl corset wearing Japanese fembots???  It's original release.

Very cool - that Black Hole poster comes out of left field - where did you get that?  It looks nothing like the other Black Hole posters.