Author Topic: Delayed Paypal payments  (Read 7697 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Delayed Paypal payments
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
I bought a poster on Ebay from Italy, paid right away (2,400 euros), and the seller now tells me that he cannot send my poster for 3 weeks because Paypal is holding the money...

4 emails...

thanks for your purchase. PayPal send to me an email about this transaction. They want to know much more about who payed this price. So, they limit my account and the money you send by PayPal are not on my account, I wrote en email to PayPal and tomorrow I'm gonna call them. Please, if you can, do the same in order to have more details. For me it's so embarrassing. It's not depends on me. I do everything to solve the problem as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please send me an email. Tomorrow I do what I have to do

---

The problem is about the amount that you send me. Because an European law pretend to have any single details on my identity. I don't know why. I'll send you everything. Thanks

---

Your money was sent, but they are on PayPal account and not on my account. I can send you my PayPal home page in order you see where are your money. It s not my fault, but a total lack of professionalism. I call it tomorrow, they have also taken my commission without having paid me

---

PayPal received your money, but they wait 21 day until I can have the money on my account. I don t know why, they told me about new rules to control money. So, if you are just little patient, and I ll send you the poster in 21 days, or you can decide to cancel the order. I can t do anything. If you can something by PayPal it would be great . Let you know to decide . The poster is no more on sale, so I wait for your decision. Thanks again

---

Is this true or is the seller a crook?

Thanks,

T
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:23:44 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Re: Delayed Paypal payments
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
It is probably true. I've heard similar stories although it hasn't happened to us yet. It sounds like their fraud protection algorithm is a little too sensitive. I would call paypal just to be sure though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
I called Paypal here in the US, and all they could tell me is that the money was sent to the seller and that's it's up to the seller to figure out why the money is not on his account.  Super helpful.  I'll call again.  Maybe I talked to an idiot.

T
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:37:06 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »
Can also be true for a new seller. They hold the money and want to see that the item is delivered and that is what was promised before releasing the money so they cant take the money and run. Is the seller new? Did he send you a screenshot of his paypal?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
This also happened to me, (I was the seller, but new to selling) and the item I sold was all of 20 bucks. The buyer sent me the money ASAP, but Paypal put a hold on the funds' availability to me (about 14 days) until the buyer had the item and was satisfied with it (received it with no damage, as described etc). This is Paypal's policy when folks are new to the selling game, and I was notified about this as soon as the payment had been sent to my account.

A few days after the item had been received by the buyer, I got a notification from Paypal saying that the hold on the funds had been lifted.

From the get go, the money showed in my account, so it should also be reflected in this seller's Paypal account, too. Just with a notation saying "on hold."

Is the person you bought the poster from also a new seller?

Even if not, I'm guessing that your transaction will be fine in this case, too.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
I am actually surprised this ìs the first time it happens to you T.  Sending money overseas (especially a large sum like that) raises red flags for sure.  These are the sorts of checks and balances countries are held against to avoid international money laundering and terrorist financing.  I am sure its fine... but definitely don't let the "hold" go any longer than the limit on which you can make a paypal claim. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »
Here in the UK, irrespective of sending money to local (UK) or foreign countries, I get emails Days after the fact reminding me that 'They are processing the amount now.

I do wonder whether the seller gets their money immediately, or just an email saying something has happened.

Would prefer it to be immediate, for the seller's sake.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »

Is this true or is the seller a crook?

Thanks,

T

His story is true. PayPal will add a 21 day hold on the money if the seller is new to selling or hasn't sold high value items previously. However, it doesn't stop him sending you the item.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
Here in the UK, irrespective of sending money to local (UK) or foreign countries, I get emails Days after the fact reminding me that 'They are processing the amount now.

I do wonder whether the seller gets their money immediately, or just an email saying something has happened.

Would prefer it to be immediate, for the seller's sake.

The seller is paid immediately. You get the emails I think 14 days after originally sending payment. It's called pay after delivery and can only be used with a bank account funding not on a debit/credit card payment which is immediately charged to you.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:52:27 PM »
Yes, I called Paypal again today (btw, pretty amazing how you get them on the phone in less than 1 minute).  Helpful guy this time.  He sent an email to my seller telling him he should send the poster immediately, and he will get the money 3 days after I receive the poster, which should be less than the 3 weeks if he waits.  I guess most sellers don't tell the buyer and just send their stuff immediately, no questions asked, which is why I had never heard of it before.

Thanks for the help guys.  Will let you know how it turns out.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
The seller is paid immediately. You get the emails I think 14 days after originally sending payment. It's called pay after delivery and can only be used with a bank account funding not on a debit/credit card payment which is immediately charged to you.

Ah, thank you.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
So the seller is an idiot, he thinks that he will never see his money if he sends the poster now, even though I've asked PayPal to send him an email.  I don't have the time and patience to go through an endless back and forth with an idiot who likes to talk.  So I'll wait the 3 weeks and see what happens next.  Heck, I can wait 8 months to get my Heritage gear, so a few weeks is nothing.  Plus, I have 120 days to contest.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
Sounds like this seller isnt looking at his account right.

The money is already in his account, but PP has simply placed a hold on its access to the seller. Once you receive the poster, the hold will be lifted. And that hold is clearly marked on his Paypal account home page, next to these funds.

As a matter of fact, PP likely sent him the same email I got that was titled, "Want to Get you Money Faster?"

The first suggestion in this email is to mail the item to the buyer.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Like I said, he's a moron.  He's telling me his life story, what he does for a living, how obnoxious paypal is, he obviously wants to chit chat, I don't.  I just told him to get back to me in 3 weeks.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
Wow hope he realizes he wont get the money released unless he sends it. Hope paypal emails him, per your request, and sets him straight

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
  • Nothing is new only forgotten (Tyla)
Delayed Paypal payments
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »
All good and well that you aren't in a hurry Eatbrie, but what about us?
Now we all have to wait three weeks to find out how it ends ....
Could you at least give us a hit on the poster?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:27 AM »
No, sorry, especially not when I'm in the process of acquiring it.  But it will be on my website at some point, amongst other things.

T
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:31:29 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
As a buyer who uses Paypal, I have often received emails from Paypal some days after I have sent a payment that they are extracting the funds from my account. So I think it is true.
Rudy

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:10 PM »
Thanks Rudy. 

I'm always a little worried when buying stuff from unknown entities in Italy.  I've had a couple of bad experiences on Ebay, and both of them were with Italian sellers.  The biggest one was 4-5 years ago.  I bought a Ballester for a little bit of money ($3k if I recall correctly).  The seller was selling the poster for $4k and I managed to get him to lower it, but he insisted that i send him the money as a gift so he wouldn't have to pay the Paypal fees.  I did and of course he disappeared.  I didn't know that Paypal did not cover you if you sent the money as a gift.  I learned the hard way and lost the money.  At least now I'm covered for 120 days, so the worst that can happen is that I never receive my poster.  I'm okay with that.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4531

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »
Funny got a similar situation. Same here, not in hurry...

I bought posters in June 2016 on ebay. Ask guy if possible to keep them for me to bid on next auctions. I paid for posters, one even without invoice. Was informed to paid extra 5 USD for having a tracking number which I didn't (reason I didn't is that it is just 5 USD, I mean it didn't seem that important, especially when seller and buyer are inc ommunication and agreed to combine items over numerous auctions).

Then I send an email on November to have items shipped and I am been told by daughter's seller that he is away and posters can't be found, and that presumably posters were not sent due to the 5 USD... So I had to wait until mid-January.

Another auction in January, I wrote "let me bid and organise for shipping after".  I won a bid (6 USD poster).  I delayed in payment (too many emails and bids on ebay) so an "unpaid case" was opened by seller (nice communication, isn't it), I go to pay and I see extra 7 USD for shipping so I asked for clarification.  I was told it is the 5 USD for insurance and 2 USD for extra weight and that things are getting confusing.

What's the message behind this ? I replied I will pay and sure things got very much confused when I had to deal with her daughter.  Looks like he forgot all about this.

Got email today that he want to fully refund all my purchases as he doesn't really need to deal with negative situations. Really ??

Ahaha !!   We all act and do things differently. As a buyer, I like to have engage with seller and deal with flexible sellers.  I often forget that sellers can be weary and fatigued by ebay thieves, that one dollar is one dollar (no I will not ship it before you fully pay the 5 USD :) ) and that between sending an email and filing an unpaid case, the former negative automated response is the favored method. 

Hoping to get my money back today and close it a day !

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
^ Sounds like a case of criss-crossed communication. along with the seller's helper not being kept in the loop.  :-\

Did you get your refund back today?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:58:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 01:10:21 AM »
Indeed.  It is not a big deal...
Too bad, I wanted the posters.

No refund yet, 24 hours has passed.   I hope I will get the refund ASAP, if not I will send a reminder and I hope I will not get another holidays notification. 

And if the seller reads me (I know he is here), kindly arrange for repayment so that we close the all case.

Thanks

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »
So the idiot reimbursed me.  He said...

I don't love to be fuck. It's the first time I had problems. But eBay and PayPal know everything about me. I say everything. But this is not enough. I work, I don't have a time to answer to their ridiculous questions that they already knew. They block my accounts without an email. My way to work is deeply different. I hope they give back all your money, otherwise write to me. Thanks

Very upset I didn't get the poster, but so be it.  I left him negs and realized he already had 2.  I hope his account is blocked.  For all I know, maybe he didn't even have the poster and was trying to take the money and run.

Oh well... next!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »
So the idiot reimbursed me.  He said...

I don't love to be fuck. It's the first time I had problems. But eBay and PayPal know everything about me. I say everything. But this is not enough. I work, I don't have a time to answer to their ridiculous questions that they already knew. They block my accounts without an email. My way to work is deeply different. I hope they give back all your money, otherwise write to me. Thanks

Very upset I didn't get the poster, but so be it.  I left him negs and realized he already had 2.  I hope his account is blocked.  For all I know, maybe he didn't even have the poster and was trying to take the money and run.

Oh well... next!

T

His boat of excuses and trying to blame PP and ebay looks like it was sinking fast. Sounds like you are better off, as he might have headed to the hills with your cash in his back pocket, if he could have.

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 02:22:32 AM »
Glad you got your money.

Got mine money back too and with a nice angry email on top. I was blamed for writing to reply to his "confusing" statement that I was indeed confused when he went away and posters could not be found.   Receiving such eloquent email after poor or no prior communication, I really felt privileged and honored. 

By the way, I just realised that the posters I won were in fact listed on Ebay under alias of seller's helper, the one who could not find posters...  Doh.gif  The "confusing" statement I got by email makes sense now, yes, two people and two aliases running the same business and not communicating in their own house to a point they can't find the posters.   

I would have never expected a forumite that I contacted by email through here in order to establish a trusted relationship (e.g. to combine posters over time) to behave in such way, filing case on ebay for non payment for just few dollars without any communication whatsoever while having paid posters waiting to be shipped and getting back to me with negative words like "confusing" situation.  I may understand his perspective now, as a family ebay sellers living on posters, they have no time to loose, a dollar is a dollar.

You may find him also on Ebay under "Krusty Krab" :)