Author Topic: Who do you use to ship your poster?  (Read 5003 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Who do you use to ship your poster?
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
I got a very precious poster coming in and the shipper asked if I had a carrier I preferred to use, any suggestions?

I had a bad experience with fedex but I guess accidents happen, let me know please.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Who do you use to ship your poster?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
I think it is less about the shipper, and more to do with the strength of the packaging.

Tell him, any shipper will do.  But that the packaging has to be bullet proof.  Send him instructions if needs be.  There are people here (inc me) who describe the blow by blow process to ship a flat and a rolled item every time something is bought from an unknown quantity.  Saves the concern.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
Echoing Simes, here, AJ. If it's a rolled poster, be sure they use one of the gorilla-proof tubes like Yazoo Mills or an equivalent thickness and sturdiness.

And if a folded poster, ask them not to place between sheets of corrugated cardboard (which bends) but solid pieces.

Most of what I have ever received has been thru USPS and, knock on wood, has always arrived safe n sound, even when the packaging was less than stellar.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
and don't forget placing it inside a sealed bag inside that cardboard.

I received a shipment a couple of weeks ago that was dropped at the bottom of a downspout just before pouring rain hit.  The outer envelope was soaked.  The inner cardboard was damp.  The poster inside the envelope was unscathed.

It happens.
-Jay-

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Sealed, bullet proof tubes....got it haha.

Poster was linen backed so definitely rolled.