Author Topic: Newbie to forums, though a grey bearding collector  (Read 5450 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Newbie to forums, though a grey bearding collector
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »
Hello APF members, I've really enjoyed the few discussions I've already read on the forum, especially related to poster history and what members enjoy!  I'm mainly a multi-old paper and art collector progressing over 40+ years of collecting now. For posters, I'm really image driven and admittedly a bit of a sucker for beautiful surprises (of course, eye of the beholder and all that, eh?). For example, here's a picture of a couple of Glenn Cravath possible Tarzan and His Mate billboard poster designs that I really enjoy.  These came out of the Cravath estate around 15 years ago when Cravath's estate started entering the market. I'm looking forward to participating as a first timer to APF.  I think my nature, though, is more comfortable on the members only part of the Forum, but we'll see...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Newbie to forums, though a grey bearding collector
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:37:14 PM »
Hello APF members, I've really enjoyed the few discussions I've already read on the forum, especially related to poster history and what members enjoy!  I'm mainly a multi-old paper and art collector progressing over 40+ years of collecting now. For posters, I'm really image driven and admittedly a bit of a sucker for beautiful surprises (of course, eye of the beholder and all that, eh?). For example, here's a picture of a couple of Glenn Cravath possible Tarzan and His Mate billboard poster designs that I really enjoy.  These came out of the Cravath estate around 15 years ago when Cravath's estate started entering the market. I'm looking forward to participating as a first timer to APF.  I think my nature, though, is more comfortable on the members only part of the Forum, but we'll see...
Those are so incredible
-Jay-

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:58:02 PM »
Oh my stars! Those really are amazing! So cool that you have them. Zowie! 

WELCOME!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
First, Welcome3.gif and we're glad to have you, okiehawker!

Those are some very fine looking original pieces there. Congrats on acquiring them.

I noticed in your post that you say these are possible Tarzan & His Mate designs. They certainly look like Tarzan imagery. So is the question about which film specifically they might be for? Or more a question that they were actual billboard designs? Or maybe done for something else associated with the film?

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
Welcome!
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »
I noticed in your post that you say these are possible Tarzan & His Mate designs. They certainly look like Tarzan imagery. So is the question about which film specifically they might be for? Or more a question that they were actual billboard designs? Or maybe done for something else associated with the film?
Good questions.  When these designs first came to light,  I corresponded with some long time ERB collectors, including  George McWhorter, about these designs.  Based on the dimensions of the design, content, and Jane's clothing, a possible Tarzan and His Mate billboard design made sense.  It's also interesting to consider that Tarzan Escapes at one point was to be Jane's demise as Maureen O'Sullivan  had expressed a desire to leave the role.  These designs also compliment Tarzan Escapes, except for Jane's clothing.  Of course,  the censors may not have  put the hammer down on Jane's clothing when the advertising designs started.  The dimensions of the art are similar to other billboard designs at this stage.  It would be great if anyone had an image of a billboard/other advertising that used these designs. It would be great to know definitively how these designs were used as just ideas or actual product. As an ERB buff, I'm very glad these designs survived and that the colors are still strong after approximately 80 years.  Other thoughts are very welcome!