Author Topic: Tyler Stout  (Read 167945 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Tyler Stout
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Agreed also.  It does, it has and it will.  I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to change his style completely and try new things in the future.

For my money, though, there is still nothing better than his The Thing print.  A perfect combination of title and art.

I was agreeing with you until you posted the wrong version...

I h'd like to see his style morph a bit, I can't remember the last one of his that I really liked.  All of the newer ones are 'just another Stout'...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy and The Goonies are really awesome.  Alien, I could do without, which is also why I didn't get it.  And Ultron, which I got, not a huge fan.  To me, Guardians and Goonies are the best since Kill Bill.  Everything in between is okay but not great.  But I'm a completist, so I need them all.

And as far as The Thing is concerned, I own both styles, and the style above IS my fav.  Striking in person.

T
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:44:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy and The Goonies are really awesome.  Alien, I could do without, which is also why I didn't get it.  And Ultron, which I got, not a huge fan.  To me, Guardians and Goonies are the best since Kill Bill.  Everything in between is okay but not great.  But I'm a completist, so I need them all.

And as far as The Thing is concerned, I own both styles, and the style above IS my fav.  Striking in person.

T
I agree completely, Goonies and Gaurdians are by far the best since KB.

I was discussing on another forum about Ultron, The type of paper is so thin and on the regular the print looks so dark, I don't like it much preferring the variant to it. Though I need that cast and crew variant. Goonies is just fantastic print, Got the variant sill on the hunt for the regualr and the gold variant (would like all three). I think its the thinnest paper ever for a Stout print and being that you have so many, would be grateful for your opinion on that one.

Your collection of Stout is amazing - must be one of the best. There was one guy in the facebook group who post his collection, was nearly complete too or even was - was that you by any chance?? I don't know how you manage to get them all at cost, these days I find it impossible to get a stout on the drop, you must have the magic touch or do you use a bot?? Please tell me your secret! :)

I think on my last count I had about 30 so many still to get and hope one day will get enough money to but some of the big ISO's. Have you been collecting Stout from day one then??
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:50:02 PM by poster art »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
Day two...

:)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »
Your collection of Stout is amazing - must be one of the best. There was one guy in the facebook group who post his collection, was nearly complete too or even was - was that you by any chance?? I don't know how you manage to get them all at cost, these days I find it impossible to get a stout on the drop, you must have the magic touch or do you use a bot?? Please tell me your secret! :)

I've been collecting Stout since 2008, when I purchased the Blade Runners (I had both styles but I gave the variant away) and the 2 The Things prints for less than $60 each.  I was hooked.  I don't use a bot but I have an extremely fast connection and I know what I'm doing (most of the time ;))  If interested, you can see my entire print collection here.  As far as being one of the best collections, it is not, no hard work there, all is take is luck and a little money.  Anyone can do it.  And yeah, maybe I'm the guy you're talking about.  I posted this picture on the Stout fan page earlier this year, before Ulton and Goonies, and got a lot of shit for it because I don't frame anything and everything I own is just tucked away, which seems to rub people the wrong way.  Oh well... every collector is different.

T
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:53:38 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »
I've been collecting Stout since 2008, when I purchased the Blade Runners (I had both styles but I gave the variant away) and the 2 The Things prints for less than $60 each.  I was hooked.  I don't use a bot but I have an extremely fast connection and I know what I'm doing (most of the time ;))  If interested, you can see my entire print collection here.  As far as being one of the best collections, it is not, no hard work there, all is take is luck and a little money.  Anyone can do it.  And yeah, maybe I'm the guy you're talking about.  I posted this picture on the Stout fan page earlier this year, before Ulton and Goonies, and got a lot of shit for it because I don't frame anything and everything I own is just tucked away, which seems to rub people the wrong way.  Oh well... every collector is different.

T

Yes this is the pic I saw on the stout page, but how did you manage to lie them all out like that on the floor, you must have an enourmous room to do that. I collected about 2010, missed all the early ones (which are off now the big ISOs), first ones I got were Robocop and Total Recall and The Alamo, and onwards from there, I didn't need to get everyone I was kinda happy with one of each which I have mostly from those days, but latterly I have been getting both regs and vars. stout is just my favourite artist (as he is with a lot), but like you, I don't yet have any in frames. I have hundreds of posters and only a handful in frames - crazy! (so I understand the way you collect as I am similar). My biggest wants are Inglorious Bastards, Bladerunner, and BTILC.

Cheers

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2015, 02:12:24 AM »
I don't have any wants when it comes to prints.  I get what I get when I get it and I move on.  I will never buy something from a flipper because I don't believe in feeding the scavengers.  If I miss one, too bad, another print will spark my interest.  And I don't really like to display my posters.  I have one up at the house right now, and the rest is out of sight.  I can't see myself ever framing a print.  I think it's great that other people do it and I always enjoy seeing what people chose to put up, it's just not my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »

You started with the variant Thing, and picked up the regular later... I still remember Jeanie having to buy your first ones for you because you just weren't sure that these 'prints' were your bag.  Quite the slippery slope.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
My biggest wants are Inglorious Bastards, Bladerunner, and BTILC.

I have two of the three.  Inglorious being one of my last print purchases.  I had a few chances on the original Mondo site, but I never cared for BTiLC (film or prints) and held off...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
You started with the variant Thing, and picked up the regular later... I still remember Jeanie having to buy your first ones for you because you just weren't sure that these 'prints' were your bag.  Quite the slippery slope.

Yes, and she stole my Blade Runner variant.  I asked her to buy both and she decided to keep it.  And now she won't give it back.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Updating my Stout collection...

T
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:43:34 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

guest4835

« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
I've owned most of these over the years.. kept SW and framed them (my fav's)
Too bad his output over the last few years has been minimal.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
Forgot to update my little collection.  Done.  See above.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Forgot to update my little collection.  Done.  See above.

T

I love your Tyler collection - as always - puts mine to shame! I missed those Civil War posters now faced with buying on the after market. Is the paper they used this time better than the Ultron posters - that stock was so thin.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
Yes, much better.  Also, Ultron was not printed right.  Much too dark.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
eatbrie: Wanted to ask you a question. I recently added the Goonies regular print to my collection to complete the set, and I notice that the paper is a lot thinne than the other two Goonies (almost like that Ultron paper). I was worried in case I had been sold a dupe. I don't think so but do you find the regular is on much thinner paper?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
Tyler is back.

Got this one this morning.  I just love the guy's style.

I need to update my list above with Isle of Dogs and a few others.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2018, 10:22:49 PM »
 Wow, Stout's work on True Romance is so nice. I can see it paired with a great Alan Moore story for a graphic novel!  Thanks for sharing, T.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Wow, Stout's work on True Romance is so nice. I can see it paired with a great Alan Moore story for a graphic novel!  Thanks for sharing, T.  Okie

I find his style way too busy, Okie. Too jammed with images. Plus, his style also looks like an unfinished paint-by-numbers canvas. A big pass for me. ;)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »
I find his style way too busy, Okie. Too jammed with images. Plus, his style also looks like an unfinished paint-by-numbers canvas. A big pass for me. ;)

Hi Jeff, Some of the older artists called it "effectively using the white space", rather than filling every space with drawing.  I like the way Stout uses light in his art. He's also taking some clues from Thai poster artists in showing many scenes/vignettes.  His design is like a where's Waldo, though with incredible art.  Would be cool to see the poster full size.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:03 PM »
Hi Jeff, Some of the older artists called it "effectively using the white space", rather than filling every space with drawing.  I like the way Stout uses light in his art. He's also taking some clues from Thai poster artists in showing many scenes/vignettes.  His design is like a where's Waldo, though with incredible art.  Would be cool to see the poster full size.  Okie

Its like any art created poster, Okie... (and like any fine art out there)... Stout's style is loved by many and many also find that he isnt their cuppa tea. The beauty of this or any aesthetic/visual based hobby, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
Its like any art created poster, Okie... (and like any fine art out there)... Stout's style is loved by many and many also find that he isnt their cuppa tea. The beauty of this or any aesthetic/visual based hobby, for sure.

I agree with you "eye of the beholder".  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
Tyler is back.

Got this one this morning.  I just love the guy's style.

I need to update my list above with Isle of Dogs and a few others.

T

I love this True Romance, it's a really fantastic interpretation of the characters. I missed the drop (well not missed but couldn't get it into the cart and to paypal)  - the site just hung for like 3-5 mins by which time they were sold out. So gutted as this is the best I have seen for a while. I keeping my fingers crossed on the Tyler sale.

I didi manage to get the two Isle of Dogs posters which are great but again, some love and some distaste for them so you can pick them up for not more above cost. I missed the drop but I picked up both for other buyer's costs plus shipping to UK so fairly happy on that score.

Hope TR works out. I need a PB friend to get me one, that is what I need.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
Got all my Stouts!  Ha, the joy of being a completist.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
Got all my Stouts!  Ha, the joy of being a completist.

T

Wow, I have the regular and the gold variant and I want that Foil. How on earth did you get the Foil when the only ones that have gone out so far are a handful from stout. The main drop not released yet. Did you get one of the handful that Stout inserted into winners of the lotto? Or have I missed Grey art matter's drop?