Author Topic: Academy Awards 2017  (Read 13570 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Academy Awards 2017
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
It's this time of the year again.

Here's the list of 12 potential nominees (only 10 or less will make the first round on January 24).  I added a few posters I own for all these movies.  I'll add more as they come in.

Arrival

Deadpool

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

Jackie

La La Land

Lion

Loving

Manchester By the Sea

Moonlight

Silence

T
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:57:54 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
Re: Academy Awards 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
Arrival was my fav film of the year but i think La La Land will win it
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »
I loved Arrival too, but Hollywood is in a desperate need of something happy after this dreadful 2016, and I think La La Land fits the bill perfectly.  Perfect timing.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
Agree - i really enjoyed La La Land , saw it last night and walked out feeling happy after what has been a sad week - i also thought that Hell or High water was a wonderful film and would equally deserve the gong for best flick. All three were my top movies for 2016
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
Received Hidden Figures and added a few more posters above.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »
Meryl Streep made my eyes well up with tears tonight.  What a wonderful, wonderful person.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:38 PM »
So a few of my friends are voting for Deadpool (???)  I personally don't get it (I hated the movie) but I added the few posters I own to the list.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
So far only seen Deadpool and Hell or High Water.  Certainly not academy winners... You have to admit Deadpool was pretty unique as far as superhero movies go.  Chris Pine and Ben Foster were great in Hell or High Water, too.  Looking forward to Slilence among others. Nice to see black people back in movies  ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:28:54 AM »
You have to admit Deadpool was pretty unique as far as superhero movies go.

I don't admit anything.  I really, really didn't like it.  Superhero movies are supposed to be fun.  Guardians of the Galaxy was fun, Deadpool was not.  Like they spend an hour dealing with cancer and him wanting to die?  Not my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
Just watched "LaLaLand" and thought Emma Stone, particularly, was outstanding in it so would probably vote for that.

Having had a quick peek at the list of past Best Film winners, it's interesting to note that after four musical winners in the 60s (West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound Of Music and Oliver) only one further musical has won (Chicago) so maybe this is overdue.

Comedies fare even worse. Depending upon your definition of comedy (You Can't Take It With You?) the only comedy to win in the Academy's entire history is Annie Hall in 1977. Even more overdue then, but how many good comedies have there been in recent years?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »
So no Silence, no Loving, no Jackie and thank God no Deadpool.

A little sad for Amy Adams.  She deserved a nomination, but there can only be 5 and everyone else in the category deserved it too.  So be it.

Glad to see Mel Gibson back.  He is an outstanding director.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:59:58 PM »
I don't admit anything.  I really, really didn't like it.  Superhero movies are supposed to be fun.  Guardians of the Galaxy was fun, Deadpool was not.  Like they spend an hour dealing with cancer and him wanting to die?  Not my thing.

T

Funny. I feel exactly the same way! Thought Deadpool was terrible. Not even funny, to me. Guardians =  thumbsup.gif

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
S

A little sad for Amy Adams. 

Yeah.

She is currently my favorite actress. Has been for a few years.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
Three years old and already loving it!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
Oscars Sunday 2017 has arrived.  8)  Anyone else looking forward to the festivities this evening?

PS: good job with the posters for the nominees, as usual, T.  thumbup

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Oscars Sunday 2017 has arrived.  8)  Anyone else looking forward to the festivities this evening?

A low key viewing will be happening this evening (afternoon).

And here's hoping, too, that every acceptance speech doesnt divert or morph into some political outpouring, either. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
A big Congrats to Moonlight for winning best picture tonight. clap clap clap

And what a way for the AA to end.  hitself
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:19:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
A low key viewing will be happening this evening (afternoon).

And here's hoping, too, that every acceptance speech doesnt divert or morph into some political outpouring, either. 

Same here, a personal screening from the comfort of my home.  There are probably some cool viewings and parties in LA for the folks who aren't attending the show, eh?

Yep, an evening without so many political rants would have been nice.  Overall though pretty good, imo.  Mr. Kimmel was OK, the parts with Matt Damon were funny, etc., and of course the end was interesting.  Although it unfortunately distracted from the biggest award, and the impressive work that is Moonlight.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:50:40 AM by Neo »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:35:40 AM »
we made a small bet on the number of people who would would insert a political dig into their speech.  Jimmy Kimmel only counted once, even though his whole spiel was some sort of dig at politics or Matt damon.  The threshold was set at 10.  Daughter picked the over and won easily.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Article from the LA Times.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-92668029/

Seems there are duplicate sets of "winner" envelopes, held on both sides of the stage by the accounting firm. It's standard practice and someone simply goofed and handed Beatty the dupe card with the previously done, Best Actress award winner. One would think that the outside of each envelope would also have been stamped or labeled, saying "Best Actor," "Best Score" etc. So it all seems confusing, in that sense. Doh.gif

It's too bad that Beatty didnt think on his feet a little quicker, maybe do a little humorous aside or something with Dunaway and also signal to someone or call Kimmel over, to ask about what he was seeing on that card. I know it's live TV, but he and Dunaway are seasoned pros.

Ah well. It made for some publicity and headlines.

If nothing else, it took a good bit of the thunder away from the Moonlight win, but they all handled it well, imo.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:34:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »

It's too bad that Beatty didnt think on his feet a little quicker

Yeah, Mr. Beatty just froze, then passed the buck to Ms. Dunaway, who didn't hesitate to blurt out the wrong thing.  If either had taken a second to think "why is Emma Stone winning the Best Picture ?..lawl" the mishap could have been averted.  As you said, though, good publicity, and the folks handled it all fairly gracefully.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 03:52:32 AM »
And somehow, I was one of the 2 Moonlight voters........I wish I had placed a bet!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »
I was the other voter... Great minds and all that.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
Just breaking... The two accountants involved in the mix up have been sacked.

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
Just breaking... The two accountants involved in the mix up have been sacked.

No, they haven't. They're still partners at PwC. They just won't be involved with the Oscars in the future.

It's unclear yet if AMPAS will also replace PwC with a new firm.