Author Topic: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession  (Read 39970 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Re: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
Nicole Kidman in To Die For - 11 1/2" x 14" Spanish 10-card set.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2017, 11:56:39 PM »
Tarzan the Ape Man - Bo Derek, Miles O'Keeffe, and Richard Harris, 9" x 11 1/2" French 6-card set.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2017, 12:16:37 AM »
Tarzan the Ape Man - Bo Derek, Miles O'Keeffe, and Richard Harris, 9 1/2" x 13 1/2" Spanish 12-card set.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2017, 12:28:57 AM »
Nice once again, Dr. Bill.

I see shades of "10" in that last Tarzan card with Bo Derek crawling on the beach and looking mighty fine.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. I doubt she'll ever be seen as anything other than "10", in real life or the movies. John Derek definitely had a "type" in mind when he chose his women - Linda Evans, Ursula Andress, and finally Bo - all perfect bodies. If only they could act.

I just got Bo's Bolero lobby set, but still don't have a safe place to host the nudes, so on to other things...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:44:08 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
So true.

And Linda Evans and Bo Derek almost could be sisters, based on their similar look.  sm1
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:13:06 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »

Bill,
Apologies if you've covered this elsewhere on the forum, but how many pieces, or sets do you have in your LC collection, and how do you store them? I'm always interested in how folks keep their collections.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Hi Chris,

I've only been collecting a few months, so my collection is tiny compared to many here. At last count I had about 90 lobby sets. These range from small 4-card sets to much larger ones like the the 25-card Barry Lyndon set. Most are 8-card. No idea how many individual cards I have now. After finding this site I ordered a supply of 100 11x14 polypropylene sleeves and archival foam board backs from Bags Unlimited. Each set goes into its own bag after inserting the precut the foam board. To date these are stored in a plastic storage tub like the ones found at Walmart or Target. My first one is full, so I need to get a second one soon, as well as more sleeves and backs.

I've been a cautious collector mostly, buying relatively inexpensive sets that go with my favorite films, many from France, Spain, and England. The more vintage high-dollar stuff will come later after I gain some experience. Keeping track of my collection has become an issue, so I need to database it somehow so I know what I have. I use Collectorz software to track about 1,000 of my blu-rays and DVDs, so I need something like it for LCs. I started collecting LCs mostly because I don't have a lot of storage space left. I've been a collector of vintage cameras for years and have more of them than I can display at any one time. Besides, my wife thinks collector = packrat...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:54:57 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »

Thanks for the info., Bill.

Sounds like you're on the right path as far as storing goes. I don't collect many LCs, but the ones I do are stored in similar fashion.

As far as the database goes, I've found the easiest, and most customizable option is a detailed spreadsheet. I use Google Drive and Google Sheets to store all of my poster photos and my database, respectively. I've attached an image of a portion of my database sheet and the headers I use that I can sort by if I need to. Hopefully it is of some help or at least gives you a few ideas.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
Thanks, Chris. I'll probably use a spreadsheet like yours when I get the time to put one together and enter all the data. I've been spoiled by Collectorz which reads the barcode on the case and downloads cover pics and all other information about the film. It even syncs with my phone so I can check my inventory when I'm out shopping. I wonder if there's an online database for posters like IMDB for movies?

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »
Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" 8-card German set.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
With about 90 sets collected and added to your collection, DB, I would say you are off to a rip roaring start. Roughly a LC set a day. Touche'!  :D

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I'm really enjoying it. This site gets most of the credit. I am humbled when I look through the poster threads though - some of them are just gorgeous. Maybe I'll stick my toe into poster waters eventually. I have a lot to learn. An original mint Forbidden Planet poster of any size would be better than sex. For a while.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »
The Fabulous Baker Boys, with Michelle Pfeiffer and Jeff & Beau Bridges - 11" x 14" 8-card set.

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 01:55:32 AM »
Great to see the collection growing Dr. Bill  - keep them coming - nice really nice cards there
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 11:52:10 PM »
Thanks for looking, Damo. I have lots more to post. Nice to know they're enjoyed.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:06 AM »
Brand new set tonight - Modesty Blaise, starring the wicked sexy Monica Vitti - 11" x 14" 8-card set.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:05:21 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:59 AM »
Nice!  I think I tried to bid on that one.  Can't remember now.  Probably bid on too many items at the same time.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:13 AM »
My first eMoviePoster auction - I had lots on my watch list, but they were bunched together, so timing was everything. I finally narrowed it down to a few I really wanted and got all but one. I battled someone for a Star Trek V set till it went over what I've seen it go for on ebay and had to let it go. I won some very nice sets at very good prices, so I'm happy. This was a tough set to photograph - the pics don't do it justice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:17:58 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2017, 01:32:16 AM »
Yeah, I think I won 10-15 items from that sale.  I raised the price of Breakfast Club from $100 to $250 ($250, really???)  I didn't really want it, certainly not at that price, but that guy, Galaxy2001, was pissing me off...  ;D

Btw, you can get pictures from Bruce.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »
I've been part of many cut-throat vintage camera auctions on ebay for years - I've become fairly resistant to the emotional need to win if it's something I know a lot about. I've learned there will always be another one if I'm patient. I learned my lesson years ago when I won because I was determined to win at any price, then would find a Buy It Now a week later, in better condition, for 1/3 the price. A few of those Doh! moments, and the lesson eventually stuck. Most of the time...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:45 AM »
I agree with you, but sometimes it's fun.  Pissing off the other guy (or hoping I did) made me happy.  And if I had won it, oh well, i will probably be worth that 100 years from now.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
Yeah, that's something I have to be cautious about - buying posters/LCs for an investment isn't a good idea when you're a green as I am. I just love films, and this is a fun way to extend my enjoyment of them. I already have a stressful job - this has to be fun. I'm a visual person, and just love high quality images on some the cards. I really need a Cinema Paradiso lobby set though...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2017, 02:13:25 AM »
buying posters/LCs for an investment isn't a good idea when you're a green as I am.

Buying posters for an investment is never a good idea, no matter how good you are at it.  Collect because you like it, not because you think it's going to be worth something one day, because chances are it won't. I invest on a lot of things, posters are just for fun and because I love movies.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2017, 05:50:51 AM »
I really need a Cinema Paradiso lobby set though...
#

Had a quick look around on your behalf on my saved links.  Popping a quick search into emp's archives seems to turn up more results for Malena than Paradiso.

This set does seem to be a rare breed.

Good luck