Author Topic: Dr No - Thai poster  (Read 8601 times)

guest4531

Dr No - Thai poster
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:41:33 AM »
Hi,

I am considering selling my Thai poster of Dr No but there are few info online.

Do you have an idea of its market value ?

Thanks

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Dr No - Thai poster
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 04:31:04 AM »
A complete guess based on emp's other like-country offerings - $200.

guest4531

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
Thanks Simes for your answer.

But I wanted a idea of price from Bond experts or people who got past offers for same poster, not a guess based on Thai poster sold on EMP  :P
But that's cool, no prob, much appreciated !!

Yep, Thai poster are in range of 50-120 USD max... but I heard that the Dr No is a special one... considering the "Apocalypse Now" thai is selling at 400-500 USD... my idea was around 700-800 USD for the poster... but then I could be wrong.

Where are the Bond and Thai experts ?

Cheers

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
Considering EMP and HA have never sold one, you could set the market price by sending it to them and have them auction it.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:11:24 PM »
Thanks Simes for your answer.

But I wanted a idea of price from Bond experts or people who got past offers for same poster, not a guess based on Thai poster sold on EMP  :P
But that's cool, no prob, much appreciated !!

Yep, Thai poster are in range of 50-120 USD max... but I heard that the Dr No is a special one... considering the "Apocalypse Now" thai is selling at 400-500 USD... my idea was around 700-800 USD for the poster... but then I could be wrong.

Where are the Bond and Thai experts ?

Cheers

Couple of things to correct or point out sir.

Anything actually sold on an auction site couldn't really be considere a guess.  It is a fact.  Money transacted etc to make the sale at someone's idea of its worth.

I didn't actually say a Thai Dr No had been sold on emp.  I did say a like-country offering.  I think I happened upon Yugoslavia as a country that had little or no connection to Bond in the same way Thailand might not.  Artistic merits notwithstanding.

As for Bond experts, or whatever the definition of that being in such rarefied company, I am not sure we have any on this board...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
wait, I thought Simes WAS the bond expert.

am I in a dream?

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

guest4531

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 01:55:04 AM »
Couple of things to correct or point out sir.
Listening to your correction sir  >:D

Anything actually sold on an auction site couldn't really be considere a guess.
Well, Sir Simes, you replied it is a "complete guess", I acknowledged your reply and thanked you for that... I just said I am would prefer figure based on specific and came up with a ballpark figure based on previous sales for highly sought... to be told that initial was not a guess ???   ;D  Confused too here Ari  Doh.gif Doh.gif

Anything actually sold on an auction site couldn't really be considere a guess.  [...] I didn't actually say a Thai Dr No had been sold on emp.  I did say a like-country offering.

Well, that's exactly what my answer said or is my English that bad. I said I would prefer figure based on the actual poster (private offers, past sales, whatever it is) and not a figure based country-like  sales without taking into consideration the artist merits, rarity/history and fact it could be a highly sought poster.

Everything was clear as crystal.  Is my English that bad ?
Anyway, again and again thanks for the guess which could not be considered really as guess, I got it !

There must be a Bond or Thai collectors here...

Taking this opportunity to wish a merry Xmas to all of you.  Taking the plane tonight, first winter in 17 years for me, it's gonna be something !
Cheers

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:24:51 AM »
Sorry sir, I was being sort of facetious and humble at the same time ref Bond 'expertise'.

I have a strong 'interest in', but I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle for this thread in terms of the Thai offerings.  I am downgrading my 'expertise' to 'passing interest.'

If I come across a Thai Dr No having been sold, I will be sure to pop it up here.

guest4531

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »
Sorry sir, I was being sort of facetious and humble at the same time ref Bond 'expertise'.

Good to hear you were facetious, I also love humor, sarcasm and cynicism... but the "Sir" made the all thing very pompous.  At one point, I thought you were a touchy person and felt affected by my reply but it was just humor then ?  This said, smileys do help  thumbsup.gif

If I come across a Thai Dr No having been sold, I will be sure to pop it up here.
This would be nice indeed. Much appreciated.

I have a strong 'interest in', but I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle for this thread in terms of the Thai offerings.  I am downgrading my 'expertise' to 'passing interest.'
Wrong thread I guess, plz mark your interest "For Sale/Trade/Wanted".   This said, we got the message, you have interest :)
"at the first hurdle for this thread in terms of the Thai offerings" ??  - Thai offerings, ahaha, very funny, best inspiration ever to uplift the spirit on a bad day.   Well, I am having difficulties to understand this ?  Who placed hurdles ? Was it a race or competition ?  Or do you simply mean you are a Bond fan/collector/whatever and tried your chance with a low offer disguised as biased evaluation but suddenly changed your opinion due to some emotional hurdles (or rollercoaster).

Life is complicated !   Anyway, now back to my initial simple request:

If any of you has been offered or bought the same poster, or know someone who has one, or see one for sale somewhere, please hola me so that I can get an idea of sale price and discuss  more about the poster

Thanks
Cheers

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 09:00:27 AM »
wait, big boss, you have one.... so, we have ONE sales result
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
wait, big boss, you have one.... so, we have ONE sales result

;D

And yes, I thought Simes was our resident Bond expert as well?!?!

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
;D

And yes, I thought Simes was our resident Bond expert as well?!?!

He used to be our a 'bond expert' but I heard recently that title has been officially downgraded to a 'passing interest' due to his lack of knowledge about Thai posters  :P. Shame really.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »
Good to hear you were facetious, I also love humor, sarcasm and cynicism... but the "Sir" made the all thing very pompous.  At one point, I thought you were a touchy person and felt affected by my reply but it was just humor then ?  This said, smileys do help  thumbsup.gif
This would be nice indeed. Much appreciated.
Wrong thread I guess, plz mark your interest "For Sale/Trade/Wanted".   This said, we got the message, you have interest :)
"at the first hurdle for this thread in terms of the Thai offerings" ??  - Thai offerings, ahaha, very funny, best inspiration ever to uplift the spirit on a bad day.   Well, I am having difficulties to understand this ?  Who placed hurdles ? Was it a race or competition ?  Or do you simply mean you are a Bond fan/collector/whatever and tried your chance with a low offer disguised as biased evaluation but suddenly changed your opinion due to some emotional hurdles (or rollercoaster).

Life is complicated !   Anyway, now back to my initial simple request:

If any of you has been offered or bought the same poster, or know someone who has one, or see one for sale somewhere, please hola me so that I can get an idea of sale price and discuss  more about the poster.

Thanks
Cheers

Big Boss, when you bought your copy, what did you pay for it? And how long ago did you purchase it? This could help in at least establishing a previous sale price point.  :)

Back in 2011, there was a copy listed on ebay with a BIN price of $449.99. But it looks like it didnt sell, due to it being "lost or broken."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-No-1962-James-Bond-007-Sean-Connery-Thai-Poster-/270815972843?nma=true&si=jTKYlec3iHcEx5ctve9qhqmFbdo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:40:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ocularbeing

• Beginner
    • The Southeast Asia Movie Theater Project
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »
If it's any help, about two years ago a dealer in Thailand who specializes in high-end posters offered me a mint condition Dr. No for 10,000 Thai Baht, which at the time was a bit under $300 US.

In general, Thai poster rates in Bangkok have gone up from a few years ago, especially for high-end stuff, as all things vintage have come into vogue among Thai consumers and the popular stuff has been depleted from old stocks.

My guess is that this poster would be $350 - $400 now. If I had it I wouldn't part with it for less than that.

guest4531

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »
Thanks Ocularbeing. 

I did my search and stuff...   My first estimation was a bit high indeed, Ocularbeing is on point.  350-400 USD is market price and as basemem said I could send it HA to set up a market price (it could reach higher price, 500-600 USD) but I won't, considering very few people have one, I will keep it. I think the person who offered it at ocularbeing could be the same person who did the Ebay "fake" sale.  Erik, I paid apx 100 USD, don't remember exact amount... in 2015, from the guy who has little shop in Siam. Long fishy nasty story, already narrated here...

I learned also that:
-> Bond experts like to throw low ball offers and evading facetious replies, I would have never expected this from 007-alike gentlemen  eyeroll
-> Beware of Thai posters (or sellers :) )  There are people here and there who know stuff but like any club of knowledge people, first rule applies, don't even talk about it.
-> I need to improve my English and finish ALL my sentences as I didn't laugh at all the inside jokes.

Hope it helps, cheers and thanks for the answers, useful or no

(damn finishing sentences is hard)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
Hi,

I am considering selling my Thai poster of Dr No but there are few info online.

Do you have an idea of its market value ?

Thanks

Hey BB,

Do you have a pic of your poster? (vs. the stock image).

It would be great to see your actual copy.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:36:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
Considering all the low ball estimates and even low-ball offers I got as well as inside jokes and dubious answers when I asked for authentication and estimates... and all the unrevealed secrecy behind Thai posters (the "known unknown")...  I pretty sure everybody has one already :)  ;D  thumbsup.gif

As promised early, I will donate better high-resolution pictures to this forum and interested members. 

Thomas, what kind of low offers and/or estimates were you getting for your Dr No poster?

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »
Just kill the thread, I made my point here on January and came myself with an estimate.  The all thread is self-explanatory, I said enough.   
I am not going to sell the poster anyway, I just wanted to have estimates from people who has or were offered one.  If I sell it, it will be at an auction house or here with a fixed price at high estimates or above.

But to answer your question, I got three estimates lower than what I paid for, all saying it is just a fake (I know it is but c'mon not all fake are trash).  So far, found no one with a similar poster.
Funny to see that some are having difficulties to understand difference between estimates and offers, I ask for estimates and answer I get are lowball offers (e.g. "I will offer you ... ").   

The "giveaway" joke and poke was fun, thanks for bumping my suggestion, too bad I didn't get a reply.  Lot of jokes in this thread below too, I love humor but being facetious is not very constructive at the end of the day if you ask me.  I came up with a suggestion and got a facetious poke but yeah, as a new guy here and private small collector, I indeed expect admins or long term members or people in the poster business with 10 posters of the same or people burning posters to do the giveaway.    As for this Bond poster, ask members here if they can do one, it is just a cheap fake, everybody has one it seems :)   I can giveaway high resolution pictures and will, ahaha !

Cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
Just kill the thread, I made my point here on January and came myself with an estimate.  The all thread is self-explanatory, I said enough.   
I am not going to sell the poster anyway, I just wanted to have estimates from people who has or were offered one.  If I sell it, it will be at an auction house or here with a fixed price at high estimates or above.

But to answer your question, I got three estimates lower than what I paid for, all saying it is just a fake (I know it is but c'mon not all fake are trash).  So far, found no one with a similar poster.
Funny to see that some are having difficulties to understand difference between estimates and offers, I ask for estimates and answer I get are lowball offers (e.g. "I will offer you ... ").

The "giveaway" joke and poke was fun, thanks for bumping my suggestion, too bad I didn't get a reply.  Lot of jokes in this thread below too, I love humor but being facetious is not very constructive at the end of the day if you ask me.  I came up with a suggestion and got a facetious poke but yeah, as a new guy here and private small collector, I indeed expect admins or long term members or people in the poster business with 10 posters of the same or people burning posters to do the giveaway.    As for this Bond poster, ask members here if they can do one, it is just a cheap fake, everybody has one it seems :)   I can giveaway high resolution pictures and will, ahaha !

Cheers

Thanks for the info, Thomas. It sounds like there is some mystery about this poster, since you had some saying to you that it isnt a legitimate poster.

Regardless, it doesnt seem to be a very common poster to find. And the artwork is quite amazing, too.

It would be great to find out for sure what the real story is with this one.  sherlockholmes.gif

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »

Cheers

Santi in Bangkok sold me two of these when I contacted him after seeing his listing on eBay and told me they were absolutely originals. It was one of the last times he posted something on eBay before he took his eBay store down. So I purchased the one on eBay ($450) and purchased another from him directly ($400). After about a year when I learned about his Apocalypse Now fake I did some hard looking at the DR NO poster and saw that yes it was a fake. In the lower left of the explosion on the poster you can see the digital artifacts that are covering up some type of blemish. Just wrote about this on another thread the other day. Again he guaranteed they were originals to me. Took me for over $850 on the two I purchased. The graphic you are using in your post is from a show of my Thai posters I put on with a friend.

Offline Thomas Nixdorf

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »
I noticed this poster some several years ago also and my alarm clocks rang immediately!!

Too perfectly designed - definitely not from the 1960's in font and layout. It all screamed FAKE !!

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Thomas this definitely is a real poster design painted by the Thai artist Piak Poster. 1st Thai release in what I believe from late 1960's from research i've done. This was the case for many movies in Thailand to be released later than the rest of the world. Piak stopped painting posters around 1970 or 71 because he became a movie director. My comment was that it's a fake reprint, not an actual fake design.

Offline Thomas Nixdorf

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 02:28:08 AM »
It is VERY hard to believe that this is an artwork/design from the late 1960's. The gun barrel for example is not a 1960's design at all. The whole composition is just too polished and perfect to be true vintage 1960's... one day we will find out when this beautiful artwork was painted. A very nice artwork to be honest but I think it was created only several years ago...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
I've felt that for yrs , that this style wasn't made in the 60s....prolly 70s/80s vintage , it could take longer back then to release films than today : FAF$M italian premiere 1965 , Hong Kong 1970.....

(it looks similar in style to the Monroe RONR poster , which imo is 70s at earliest)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:28:46 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
I doubt this was painted past the very early 1970's, again due to the fact that Piak Poster stopped painting posters at that time and that is the signature of his company on the poster. All his efforts went into directing movies after that.