Author Topic: First Newbie Purchase - Blade Runner Lobby Card Set  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
First Newbie Purchase - Blade Runner Lobby Card Set
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:38:25 PM »
So, I'm a new collector, and now I'm reading that some of these on eBay are fake. Can anyone tell from the pics whether I got taken? They have not arrived yet, so the pics are all I have so far. The set was discounted to $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-RUNNER-LOBBY-CARD-size-MOVIE-POSTER-Mint-Complete-set-of-8-HARRISON-FORD-/131792731773?hash=item1eaf757e7d:g:zOYAAOSwvkVXHmfd

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: First Newbie Purchase - Blade Runner Lobby Card Set
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »
I believe the seller is Greg Egbert.
I'm not aware that he sells fake stuff, so my guess would be they're good

however you really can't tell until they are in hand and you can feel the paper and examine the print quality

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
Hmm - I just read some controversial stuff about him here, but he has taken the time to email me that they won't ship immediately. That's fine - I can wait. In the future, is there anything specific I should look for? I really don't have anything to compare them to at this point - they're my first lobby card purchase.

I've also ordered a few harder to find single cards from Posteritati. As they are fairly pricey, I'm hoping they are reputable as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
You are good with Sam and the folks at Posteritati. They only deal in original materials.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
I agree that you are likely OK.  For future reference, the most common fake issue with lobby cards, half sheets and inserts from the late 70's through early 90s is something called "minty white"

Here is an article our own Bruce Herschenson of emovieposter wrote several years ago
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

Bruce has also kept a list of known minty white posters on his site. Be very careful when you see one of these for sale
https://www.emovieposter.com/announcements.php?id=749
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:49:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Thanks, guys - lots of useful information. Unfortunately the Blade Runner lobby cards are included as possible minty whites, so I just need a bit more experience to know if they're OK. It's the price of climbing the learning curve. There are also a few eBay sellers on the minty white list that I had considered doing business with, one very close to me in Ohio, which is disappointing. I may learn more when all these arrive. I did feel pretty safe with Posteritati - very complete and classy descriptions on eBay. Paying more may be the way to go for now, and go for the bargains after some experience. Again, your advice is very much appreciated!

guest4531

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 03:03:50 AM »
Thanks for that, you learn stuff everyday.

I bought this set of lobby cards on EmoviePoster recently.  Once in my hands, I noticed the set was completed with minty white cards...   Different paper, different printing quality and very white background.   So yeah, I was wondering how could it be, to get a set with original and reprint ?

Lesson learned, always look for the big picture... and even with the big picture it is hard to spot
Can you spot it here - http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=7614754

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 03:32:41 AM »
So you are saying this set you bought is a mix of original and reproduction, "minty white" LC? Why would this have been sold and offered, then, as all original 1967RR cards?

If that is the case, are you going to keep them? Or send them back for a refund?

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:59:04 AM »
So you are saying this set you bought is a mix of original and reproduction, "minty white" LC? Why would this have been sold and offered, then, as all original 1967RR cards?

If that is the case, are you going to keep them? Or send them back for a refund?

I am saying the set I got has two different type of lobby cards.  The three first ones have a thicker paper, slightly yellowish with damages at corner while others have flashy white background, no damage and a different slightly slimmer paper.   And yes, when I had it in my hands, I had that feeling that something isn't right. 

See the picture, compare no 1 to 3 with all the others (especially no 4) -  http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=7614754

So I check through history and guess what, all previous set are fully white... go understand ??  Waah, someone actually spent 255 USD for this set in 2010!
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/HATARI/tag/xtype%253Alobby%2520card/style/R67/tag/qty%253A8/archive.html

This said, I can't 100% say they are reproduction.  This is why I posted here

a) How strange it is to have a set of lobby card with different paper and printing quality ?   

b) So yeah, after reading this thread, I wonder if it is what you guys are calling "minty white" ?   But I can say they are reproduction, may be set were printed by different printing house.  This is why I am asking the question above.

As for the misleading title and refund, hmmm, I just paid 18 USD... because I can't affirm they are reproduction (even after comparing past sales) and because Bruce have been really nice with me, I don't it is necessary.   But indeed, I will check lobby cards more carefully next time.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »
Yeah, numbers 4-8 do look more bright and white in the pics, compared to the first three cards. Or maybe they are a blend of cards from different sets or printers?

The good thing is, regardless of the price you paid, if you have something that you feel might have a potential problem that was purchased from EMP, they will do what it takes to make it right.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:34:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 02:47:43 PM »
Unfortunately, its never that simple.  I build sets out of individual cards or partial sets, and see this occasionally.  As has been mentioned, cards got printed by different printers for the different NSS warehouses.  You even have to be careful about which cards are built into the set as often the US and international sets have differences.

I can't say if some of the Hatari cards are repros, but this isn't a particularly hot set and it usually doesn't go for a fortune.  Don't know about those pair of $200 results, but generally, this is a $30-50 set and not worth the bother of making repros.  I am guessing that you have cards printed from two different sources, combined to make a set, especially since the re-release was during a transition period for paper stock.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks, guys - lots of useful information. Unfortunately the Blade Runner lobby cards are included as possible minty whites, so I just need a bit more experience to know if they're OK. It's the price of climbing the learning curve. There are also a few eBay sellers on the minty white list that I had considered doing business with, one very close to me in Ohio, which is disappointing. I may learn more when all these arrive. I did feel pretty safe with Posteritati - very complete and classy descriptions on eBay. Paying more may be the way to go for now, and go for the bargains after some experience. Again, your advice is very much appreciated!

If they are for Egbert, there is a strong chance they're fake, unfortunately.  The guy is a crook and borderline insane.  No one should buy from him.  Some people still do and I don't understand why.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
Unfortunately, its never that simple.  I build sets out of individual cards or partial sets, and see this occasionally.  As has been mentioned, cards got printed by different printers for the different NSS warehouses.  You even have to be careful about which cards are built into the set as often the US and international sets have differences.

I can't say if some of the Hatari cards are repros, but this isn't a particularly hot set and it usually doesn't go for a fortune.  Don't know about those pair of $200 results, but generally, this is a $30-50 set and not worth the bother of making repros.  I am guessing that you have cards printed from two different sources, combined to make a set, especially since the re-release was during a transition period for paper stock.

yes, this is what I said to someone privately
I can't imagine a reprint of Hatari cards

on Egbert, I've only done small business with him, on modern poster titles I may have needed. I don't know what repros he's been accused of selling, and I'm not aware that he has a 'Rochester connection' or the need to gravitate towards one, seeing as in L.A., you can get everything you want in posters for the most part

I can say that in the Caidin stock, I am finding repros in boxes that are not marked as such, however, when I go to the boarded posters (stuff that was for sale in the store, displayed), the price tag properly mentions 'repro'. I can however see how some people might get caught not recognizing that some of these posters are repros.

the Blade Runner cards.. yes there are known repros, and even yes, the bordered set (there is a borderless set) has been called a total fake by some people, who say they were not released during the original theatrical run and I know other people who say yes they were, which leaves open the possibility that not all NSS offices were using a bordered set, or the borderless set, creating a regional difference in theatrical exhibition.

Obviously the key is the paper, which you can only feel once you have them in hand and clearly, a person who hasn't hasn't a real set will have more difficulty determining if they have a fake set, which creates a conundrum.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
I can't imagine a Hatari fake set either.

Sorry to bang on within my own minimalist sphere of interest, but to corroborate the 'different printers' fact, there are two From Russia with Love sets.  They must have been produced by different printers as there are two known sets available (for the complete nutcase - of which I suppose I am one)

There is a rose set and a purple set.  Not only are the tints different, but the card numbers for 1  - 5 are juxtaposed.  And numbers 6 - 8 are consistent between both sets.

Handling and erm, sniffing will count for lots.  (For cards of this era.)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »
yes, this is what I said to someone privately
I can't imagine a reprint of Hatari cards

on Egbert, I've only done small business with him, on modern poster titles I may have needed. I don't know what repros he's been accused of selling, and I'm not aware that he has a 'Rochester connection' or the need to gravitate towards one, seeing as in L.A., you can get everything you want in posters for the most part

I can say that in the Caidin stock, I am finding repros in boxes that are not marked as such, however, when I go to the boarded posters (stuff that was for sale in the store, displayed), the price tag properly mentions 'repro'. I can however see how some people might get caught not recognizing that some of these posters are repros.

the Blade Runner cards.. yes there are known repros, and even yes, the bordered set (there is a borderless set) has been called a total fake by some people, who say they were not released during the original theatrical run and I know other people who say yes they were, which leaves open the possibility that not all NSS offices were using a bordered set, or the borderless set, creating a regional difference in theatrical exhibition.

Obviously the key is the paper, which you can only feel once you have them in hand and clearly, a person who hasn't hasn't a real set will have more difficulty determining if they have a fake set, which creates a conundrum.

Well, it may be some time before I get to examine the Blade Runner set, but the four purchases from Posteritati have arrived, and the paper and finish differs quite a bit...

The Barry Lyndon is heavy, glossy, quite luxurious feeling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barry-Lyndon-1975-Original-USA-Scene-Card-/140741997227?hash=item20c4e072ab%3Ag%3A4-YAAOSwubRXEBb0&nma=true&si=iahPHTVV3euzXlEyWgwkK4pGsR0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Clockwork Orange is much thinner, semi-glossy, with sharp text but a fuzzy image:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Clockwork-Orange-1972-Original-USA-Scene-Card-/140742330324?hash=item20c4e587d4%3Ag%3AqBkAAOSwJMhXEBcK&nma=true&si=iahPHTVV3euzXlEyWgwkK4pGsR0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Dr. Strangelove is more flexible, with a matte pulpy feel on front and back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Strangelove-or-How-I-Learned-to-Stop-Worrying-and-Love-the-Bomb-R1970s-/142034763653?hash=item2111ee7f85%3Ag%3AU%7EUAAOSwvg9XbEAl&nma=true&si=iahPHTVV3euzXlEyWgwkK4pGsR0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and 2001 is stiffer, a bit heavier feel, with a semi-gloss front and matte back. Text is sharp, but the photo is fuzzy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-R1972-Original-USA-Scene-Card-/142034763985?hash=item2111ee80d1%3Ag%3AsDYAAOSwMNxXbEBW&nma=true&si=iahPHTVV3euzXlEyWgwkK4pGsR0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

With so many differences, I assume I'd have to get both a known good and a repro of the same card to be sure of what I have. So it's once again back to experience to know for sure, I guess. I do wish I had found this site before buying anything, but at least Posteritati seems to be a reputable seller, so even at the prices I paid from them, I don't feel ripped off. The Barry Lyndon is so impressive I'd love to buy the entire set mint. $250 seems to be the going rate, which I'd pay if really mint - it's bradburied's store. At least I don't see this set on a "minty white" list anywhere...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:20:57 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
i wouldnt buy a bladeruunner lobby set these days unless straight out of a theatrical collection. the old school dealers know about these sets, gregs may not be one of them so dont quote me as saying the one you bought is bad, just a title i wouldnt trust in that format from anyone. there are a few others, would need to email hunt for the list. scarface and halloween come to mind, terminator, raiders maybe.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
i wouldnt buy a bladeruunner lobby set these days unless straight out of a theatrical collection. the old school dealers know about these sets, gregs may not be one of them so dont quote me as saying the one you bought is bad, just a title i wouldnt trust in that format from anyone. there are a few others, would need to email hunt for the list. scarface and halloween come to mind, terminator, raiders maybe.

Not quite fair.  I'd buy from you, Bruce or Rich.  All three of you take the time to understand the issues and your reputations depend on playing straight.  And you back your sales if it turns out to be a problem.

What you say is true for any eBay seller, definitely true for the known problem dealers and to a lesser extent other trusted dealers that I won't mention.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
bradburied is or was on the list as far as i know
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »
bradburied is or was on the list as far as i know

Right, but since there seem to be no accounts of Barry Lyndon repros or fakes that I can find, I was hoping these would be real. My other option is from granadaposters in Dallas at about the same price. They seem to do a lot of poster business and have good feedback...I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:59:42 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
you are correct, I haven't heard of Barry L lobby card fakes.

Granada are trustworthy.

as a side note, most of the stock sold by these people listed as selling minty whites is legit, they mix the good with the bad.

Some people decide not to support them financially, so dont even buy their legit stuff. Others dont care if the price is right.

and to big Boss set, I don't think they are repros.
someone probably put the set together themselves, so cards from different places.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:32 PM »

I certainly wouldn't buy a scarface set. I think the majority of them on ebay are fake, even from reputable dealers who who can't tell.

-------

guest4531

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
Thanks everybody for your answer.   Much appreciated.

So let's got the main opinion expressed here and opt for the different printer houses and/or set made up by different card lots. 

Sure, Hatari items and especially re-released may be seen as having little or low interests and usually cheap BUT a) I can say the same about Barry L cards :) ; b) Some sets still sold at 200 USD (hard to explain)

Good day !!