Author Topic: Help with Tom and Jerry poster  (Read 2322 times)

Online mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Help with Tom and Jerry poster
« on: November 28, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »
Hi

a friend has this poster and needs some help

can anyone help me to identify what this is i.e something commercial or that was printed for an actual (re)release and from when it might date.

I'm reminded of some of the personality posters for the Hollywood Stars of old.

It's really tough to date though.

The colour saturation is really quite something and so is the condition.

For all I know this could be an artist who is simply trying to mimic what an older

poster should look and feel like.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Help with Tom and Jerry poster
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:03:02 AM »
what size is it?

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:55 AM »
Hi

can anyone help me to identify what this is i.e something commercial or that was printed for an actual (re)release and from when it might date.

For all I know this could be an artist who is simply trying to mimic what an older

Thanks for your help!

We auctioned this one time only, and it can be seen here:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1911486.html

It was linenbacked and sold for $1,050.

Here is what we wrote about it:

Tom and Jerry, the circa 1950s stock poster for MGM's Tom & Jerry animated cat-and-mouse chase animated animation cartoon comedy shorts. Note that we have seen an MGM stock one-sheet from the 1950s which has "A METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER CARTOON" and "TOM AND JERRY" at the top, with a blank area at the bottom where the poster would be overprinted with the title of one of their cartoon shorts. But we have never before seen this great full-color stock poster, which has no printing on it except for "LITHO. IN U.S.A." in the bottom right corner! It is stamped "TOM & JERRY 1SH" on the back. We strongly suspect that it was intended for theaters to overprint information about the specific cartoon they were showing on the top or bottom background areas, but that was never done with this poster, and we have never seen it before.

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
!

How is it your friend has this poster?  Is he himself a poster collector, or just someone who has found this 'out back'?

Online mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »
I pointed my friend to this thread and he says 'you rock' thanks to everyone who helped

We auctioned this one time only, and it can be seen here:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1911486.html

It was linenbacked and sold for $1,050.

Here is what we wrote about it:

Tom and Jerry, the circa 1950s stock poster for MGM's Tom & Jerry animated cat-and-mouse chase animated animation cartoon comedy shorts. Note that we have seen an MGM stock one-sheet from the 1950s which has "A METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER CARTOON" and "TOM AND JERRY" at the top, with a blank area at the bottom where the poster would be overprinted with the title of one of their cartoon shorts. But we have never before seen this great full-color stock poster, which has no printing on it except for "LITHO. IN U.S.A." in the bottom right corner! It is stamped "TOM & JERRY 1SH" on the back. We strongly suspect that it was intended for theaters to overprint information about the specific cartoon they were showing on the top or bottom background areas, but that was never done with this poster, and we have never seen it before.

Online mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
yes he is a collector but this belongs to his other half

!

How is it your friend has this poster?  Is he himself a poster collector, or just someone who has found this 'out back'?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
yes he is a collector but this belongs to his other half

doesn't it all belong to our other halves?  did i get a bum deal here? 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your help!

What a great looking poster.  thumbsup.gif The original (1940s) Tom & Jerry cartoons are great. The animation started going downhill as time went by, and those done in the '60s and later (and done for TV) are almost unwatchable.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:40:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
I never get tired of watching the early ones

doesn't it all belong to our other halves?  did i get a bum deal here?