Author Topic: Halloween Aussie  (Read 5530 times)

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
Halloween Aussie
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
Hi! I am new to the forum.  For a while I have been trying to linen back an Halloween Aussie movie poster.  Been turned down by several due to the poster's gloss.  But I have seen  many for sale that have been linen backed and look great. Can anyone recommend a linen backer who will do this for me?  Thanks.
Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Halloween Aussie
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
First,  welcome1 to the forum, sederic68! Enjoy it and all the good and helpful people here. So you have gotten in touch with a number of restorers who wont back this poster for you, due to it being glossy? Interesting and Ive never heard of that kind of turn down before.

Why not check with Mario Cueva at Lumiere Poster Restoration ( http://www.lumiereposterrestoration.com/ ) or Fourth Cone Restoration (http://www.fourthconerestoration.com/) and see what they might have to say. Im sure both would be happy to take on the job.

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff and thanks for the welcome... There were a few restorers who said if I'd be willing to RISK it, it could be done for me. Let me say it that way.  Needless to say, it didn't make me feel hopeful, so I haven't had it done yet.  I was trying to find someone who has done one and had success with it, but haven't been able to find one yet. And I figured with the ones I have seen linen backed on eBay and other web sites, someone must feel comfortable doing it.
Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »
Sure thing, Eric.

A couple years ago, I helped someone with their US one sheet for the movie, The Enforcer from 1976. The poster was folded and printed on glossy stock (just like yours is). Aside from the fold lines, it was in very good condition. The poster was sent to me, and I met with Mario to explain what was to be done to the poster, which was really nothing more than backing it, and getting rid of the fold lines, as one cross fold went right thru the face of Clint Eastwood. That made it a bit distracting to look at.

Needless to say, when the poster was dropped off a short time later, it looked incredible. And the fact that it was printed on glossy paper didnt make it any more risky to Mario than any other posters he had worked on, up to that point. The backing process did nothing to affect the appearance or gloss of the paper at all.

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 06:11:13 PM »
Glad to hear that story Jeff.  I appreciate it.  Eric
Eric

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
Hi sederic

you can also try Dan @ backingtothefuture.  where did you buy your poster if I can ask? Local find?

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
Hi There,

I've had one done.
You will always be able to see the folds, but considering what it looked like before I was more than happy with mine when done.  Work was done by Jamie Mendez:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 09:19:05 PM by theartofmovieposters »
Ves

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »
Welcome sederick. The thing I see is your expectations are quite high vs what looks like from the photo quite a bit of damage along the fold lines which means more noticible restoration. Restoration is not of photo quality, typically using pencil to draw into the white bits. Be careful seeing backed posters online as they can look darn nice but seeing it in person closeish, at different lighting angles, likely it is a different story.

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  If I remember correctly I got the poster from Bruce's web site. 
Eric

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
Glossy posters are hard, and photos even harder.
I am surprised how good Vesnas turned out.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 12:52:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I really appreciate it. If I remember correctly I got the poster from Bruce's web site.

And if you do opt to have yours backed, Eric, be sure that your restorer has a good eye and matches the the missing fold colors as close as possible. To have it mismatched/unblended will almost make the fold lines look worse and make them stand out even more, in some ways.*

*(Or look like a Posterfix special)   confounded.gif

I just looked at the copies sold on EMP and the more recent ones have all gone for a pretty penny. Is this OS a more rare critter?

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/HALLOWEEN%2520%2528%252778%2529/tag/xtype%253AAustralian%2520one-sheet/style/FF/archive.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:57:01 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
prob *scarce rather than rare, although compared to US material on the title RARE.
And very sought after as the only (english langue) poster with Michael featured.

*I am always reluctant to use RARE except on titles with just a few known.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:17 AM »
So true Ari. The word "rare" is thrown around WAY too much these days, it seems.

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
If anyone wants to find one on eBay or a movie poster site, it's not that hard... just a little pricey. 
Eric

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »
The best Halloween poster and a must for any collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
If anyone wants to find one on eBay or a movie poster site, it's not that hard... just a little pricey.

yeah, thats why I would say scarce rather than rare. Though to be fair prob only a few hundred printed (pulled figure out of my arse) ha
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »
Eric, did you finally pull the trigger and get your poster backed?

Here's a copy currently F/S on ebay (listed at $1686.00/obo), that was backed. Have to say, it looks really good:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:39:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:16 PM »
Eric, did you make any decisions on this poster yet?

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 11:26:31 PM »
Here it is.  Sorry it's sideways... don't know how that happened.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:29:59 PM by sederic68 »
Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
Looks great!!  thumbsup.gif

Who did you finally choose to do the work?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:18:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »
Fourth Cone Restoration.  I am very happy with it.  Thanks so much for asking - about everything!
Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 01:11:12 AM »
Fourth Cone Restoration.  I am very happy with it.  Thanks so much for asking - about everything!

Looks like they did an outstanding job, Eric. clap clap clap
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:12:19 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline sederic68

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Thanks for straightening me out Erik1925!
Eric

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
I own 2 folded versions of this poster.  Just sent one to Mario.  Will post pictures when I get it back.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 06:05:13 AM »
This is a modern poster which exceptionally I would have to have backed because (1) it would take a lifetime waiting for a rolled one to turn up and (2) the fold lines are very distracting (against the dark background) on all the copies I have seen. Great job Eric.

Mark