Author Topic: favicon  (Read 8517 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
favicon
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
Might be about time forum administrators to get your website a favicon.ico and join the big boys. Should take 10 mins to create it once you have a design in mind. It goes in the sites root directory.

In image below (my browser), i see a default icon for sites without a favicon and APF is one of them.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: favicon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
A good idea but in my I.E. 7 the favicons notoriously F up all the time!
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
it's not as easy to do on a forum like this.  the code for each theme needs to be modified to recognize the favicon.ico  I've tried doing it, and it's a pain in the ass to try and locate the right directory.  Someone who is versed in scripting would get it easily, but I'm not.  So, one day, if we're lucky....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:41 AM »
Hi Holiday, you are basically there!

You have correctly loaded the favicon to the correct location: http://www.allposterforum.com/favicon.ico

That is step one. For most popular browsers this will be sufficient. For other browsers, they need step 2
Step 2: You correctly identified you'll need to update the themes. There appears to be a 'mod' available to install to make this simple. Mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1329
More info: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=236748.0

For new visitors using a popular browser, they should see the favicon first visit. For the rest of us we may need to flush the old icon out of our browsers cache: eg in Firefox: go to "Tools", "Clear Recent History", check "Cache" and click "Clear Now". Then close all your firefox browsers, then open again.

I flushed my cache and restarted firefox and wholah:

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:33:57 AM »
Well I'll be damned.  It worked!

I added the lines of code that were suggested by the simplemachines forum, and that's why I think it's working.  I just needed to flush the cash as you suggested.

Whew!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:43:49 AM »
I just needed to flush the cash as you suggested.

No, don't implicate me in any illegal activities you've got going!  ;)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:53 AM »
No, don't implicate me in any illegal activities you've got going!  ;)

oops... cache....

that's the lawyer in me coming out!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 05:35:43 AM »
Im browsing right now from my cell phone using Opera mini and favicon is being diplayed on that too. :-)

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
oops... cache....

that's the lawyer in me coming out!

;D
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
Hm, I logged in this morning and no flavicon in Safari (and I clear my browser before logging off every night).  That sucks

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
Hm, I logged in this morning and no flavicon in Safari (and I clear my browser before logging off every night).  That sucks

I just check in Safari on my end and it shows up, so it sounds like yours is still using an old cached copy of the apf site and is not refreshing.  Keep trying!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery