Author Topic: Shipping Time from France  (Read 7972 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Shipping Time from France
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
Does anyone have a thought if a poster, shipped in a tube and mailed from Paris, France to Los Angeles should take over 3 weeks to arrive? I bought a poster that was indicated to have been mailed on Oct. 28th (via ebay's auto notification system). The estimated delivery dates were between Nov 6-16th.

The mail just came today and still nothing.

In the description, it was indicated that it would be mailed Priority mail (and I thought this would include a tracking number) but after it was shipped, the receipt indicated that it was sent via Standard airmail, with NO tracking. That annoyed me, as not being able to follow a parcel, especially in cases like this, is maddening, even to see if it has been held up somewhere like the USPS international customs terminal located near the LA airport.

So it has now been 3 weeks and nothing. Does that seem overly long? I guess Im asking since the ebay delivery estimate has come and gone.  :-\

Thanks all.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Shipping Time from France
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:36:14 AM »
Well, it can take roughly three weeks From the US to the UK.

And if France is just south of the UK, maybe it could take the same time going the other way.

Guessing no tracking was offered?

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:50:13 AM »
I have had a mixture of delivery times with things I have from French sellers sent to the UK.

Oddly, it is sometimes the packages on which I have paid the least for shipping (two or three euros for a postcard, for example) that have arrived most quickly (in four or five days). The more expensive ones,(via the Colossimo postal rate which is usually 20 euros or so for a folded, flat poster-size package) often take two weeks or so.

This can't be explained by delays for assessing import taxes because as part of the EU (just) there aren't any, so I am at a loss as to why this should be.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »
Your poster tube might have been intercepted and repurposed for use as a pipe bomb (I really hope not)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »
Well, it can take roughly three weeks From the US to the UK.

And if France is just south of the UK, maybe it could take the same time going the other way.

Guessing no tracking was offered?

Hey Simon,

Based on the shipping method as described in the auction (Priority shipping), I assumed that a tracking number was included. I even requested that it be sent, when I sent my payment. I heard nothing and only after the parcel was indicated as "shipped" did the seller write back and say that with the mailing service offered (now described as Standard Airmail outside the US), that no tracking number was included.

That's what got me a bit annoyed, since 2 shipping descriptions were used and I assumed and asked for tracking, before the parcel was sent. It would have been nice if the seller had written before it was mailed and said a tracking number would cost $X more if wated. I would have sent that extra $$, just for peace of mind.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
Hmm.  The seller doesn't appear to be playing fair.

Priority Shipping does sound like Tracking would be a norm.

This link would seem to suggest a Tracking Number should be available.  And also, France is mentioned.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Postage-Topics/International-Priority-Shipping-Killing-ebay/td-p/3871005

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Thanks for the link, Simon.  :)

At this point, the tube is somewhere, trackless and wandering. All I can do is wait and see what happens.

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »
Never *ever* send w/o tracking to France...lesson learned  :'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 09:47:36 PM »
Never *ever* send w/o tracking to France...lesson learned  :'(

Nothing was sent to France. The parcel is coming FROM France to me in the US.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:06:46 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »
All's well that ends well. The poster arrived this afternoon, safe 'n sound.  whew.gif   :)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »
Splendid.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:03:19 AM »
Glad to hear that. In my case, my local postman has come to recognise my haunted look standing by the letterbox when a package is overdue. It's always a relief when they arrive safe and sound.