Author Topic: French Movie Poster Books  (Read 9093 times)

Meansheets

French Movie Poster Books
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
I'm sure Thierry has already checked out the Guy Gerard Noël book (or maybe he was an uncredited contributor on it!) -- but has anybody else seen the French movie poster artist books from The Stanislas Choko Collection? Pretty good shite!

http://www.meansheets.com

http://meansheets.com/2010/08/27/ebay-deal-of-the-day-timeless-books/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: French Movie Poster Books
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Yes, I have them all, and no, I wasn't a contributor.  But Pierre Bourdy, who co-wrote two of them including http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTRES-HUMAINS-ET-INHUMAINS-Affiches-Cinema-/160464805966?pt=FR_GW_Livres_BD_Revues_Livres&hash=item255c72a04e is a very close friend of mine.  I must say that Choko's collection is not only a must for French poster collectors, but for poster collectors.  French designs from the 50s and 60s are astounding and the best in the world (IMO).

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
Hey, T....Maybe this is a good place to start a French (or maybe even all Euro) movie poster thread. You have some of the finest examples we have never seen....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
Ah, I so wish that was true, Ted.  Alas, I'm far and away from the great collectors of French posters.  My friend Julian, for instance, recently bought a copy of Laura.  There are only 2 known copies in the world, and he owns one.  Check this beauty.  Now, this is something.  I could have got it, and passed for financial reasons.  Maybe one day.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
Great movie and great poster. Those eyes are something else...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Yeah that's got some great colours!
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
And 10k  ;)
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
And 10k  ;)

Thats 10k more than I have.

It is a beauty.

Meansheets

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
Hey Thierry (and any other French poster fans out there)--
Who else would you add to the list of prominent 50's and 60's French artists deserving of a book by Choko?

My picks are (in no order)...

Clement Hurel
Jean Mascii
Constantin Belinsky

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 02:45:10 AM »
Boris Grinsson -- very prolific, one of my favorites
Gilbert Allard
Roger Soubie
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:54:11 AM »
Yes, I have them all, and no, I wasn't a contributor.  But Pierre Bourdy, who co-wrote two of them including http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTRES-HUMAINS-ET-INHUMAINS-Affiches-Cinema-/160464805966?pt=FR_GW_Livres_BD_Revues_Livres&hash=item255c72a04e is a very close friend of mine.  I must say that Choko's collection is not only a must for French poster collectors, but for poster collectors.  French designs from the 50s and 60s are astounding and the best in the world (IMO).

T.

T, If I were going to buy some of these books... which are the must haves?  And if you just say "all of them", please rank them ;)

AUTHOR BOOKS
BORIS GRINSSON
GUY GERARD NOEL
JACQUES BONNEAUD
ROGER SOUBIE

OTHER BOOKS
PARIS S'AFFICHE
MONSTRES HUMAINS ET INHUMAINS
LE CINEMA ET L'AVIATION

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

That Laura is simply stunning. 

Does anyone know the reason there are so few surviving examples of the 40's and 50's French posters?  I of course realize the war had something to do with it, but even post-WWII release posters seem rare.  Were posters back then primarily used for wilding (i.e. glued to walls)?

I need more wall space  :(  If I ever had to narrow my collecting I would definitely focus on pre-70s French.  The only thing stopping me from buying more is the lack of space to display them.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
T, If I were going to buy some of these books... which are the must haves?  And if you just say "all of them", please rank them ;)

AUTHOR BOOKS
BORIS GRINSSON
GUY GERARD NOEL
JACQUES BONNEAUD
ROGER SOUBIE

OTHER BOOKS
PARIS S'AFFICHE
MONSTRES HUMAINS ET INHUMAINS
LE CINEMA ET L'AVIATION

Matt,

I can't answer your question.  It is all so subjective.  This said, I personally love Noel above all. 

I own all these books, but the first one I bought was my buddy Pierre's Monstres Humains et Inhumains which is full of Monsters and sci-Fi posters (done by all of the artists mentioned above).  So I would start with this one, because it encompasses all the others.  Then you can chose who you like best.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »
Thanks for the input T... I realize this is all very subjective.  I was mainly hoping to get your preferences, not your recommendations. That is probably like asking a cinephile to pick their favorite film though!

I'll probably get all of them eventually anyway. I do love the frenchies. I'll likely never be able to afford more than a few choice pieces in my short lifetime so at least these books will help me prioritize!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
I was checking the Monsters book, and it is definitely the one to get first.  The text (like the others) is in French and English.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
I'm sure Thierry has already checked out the Guy Gerard Noël book (or maybe he was an uncredited contributor on it!) -- but has anybody else seen the French movie poster artist books from The Stanislas Choko Collection? Pretty good shite!

http://www.meansheets.com

http://meansheets.com/2010/08/27/ebay-deal-of-the-day-timeless-books/

Thanks so much for pointing these out.  I'm picking up a set for myself.  Among other things, I collect books about posters (and a whole lot of other things), and I'm happy to add these to the collection. It's about as close as I'll ever get to these posters, excepting when I finally get to visit The Big Cheese in L.A. some day (soon!).
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Meansheets

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »
there's also a 2007 book called TRANSLATING HOLLYWOOD by Sam Sarowitz (of The Art of the Modern Movie Poster and Posteritati fame) that I recently discovered...It's basically a simpler idea of the AOTMMP where he compares all of the different versions of various film releases.

btw, I love your collection--especially the PERSONA poster!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
there's also a 2007 book called TRANSLATING HOLLYWOOD by Sam Sarowitz (of The Art of the Modern Movie Poster and Posteritati fame) that I recently discovered...It's basically a simpler idea of the AOTMMP where he compares all of the different versions of various film releases.

btw, I love your collection--especially the PERSONA poster!

Thanks.  I have a few versions of that poster from other countries -- all awesome.  Sam's book is wonderful.  Anyone who doesn't have it should have it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Ah, I so wish that was true, Ted.  Alas, I'm far and away from the great collectors of French posters.  My friend Julian, for instance, recently bought a copy of Laura.  There are only 2 known copies in the world, and he owns one.  Check this beauty.  Now, this is something.  I could have got it, and passed for financial reasons.  Maybe one day.

T

T,

Congrats on scoring this poster!  thumbsup.gif

Is yours the same image that you posted back in 2010?

Or did you snag the other known copy?

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
I bought that one.  Not cheap, but worth every penny.  The other one, if it still exists, is in Japan.  Apparently it was in a really bad shape, so who knows what happened to it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
That Laura is off the scale gorgeous. It would be guaranteed its own wall in my house.

Mark.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
I bought that one.  Not cheap, but worth every penny.  The other one, if it still exists, is in Japan.  Apparently it was in a really bad shape, so who knows what happened to it.

T

Indeed, my good man. Another for the mystery pile.  sherlockholmes.gif    Spying.gif
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:50:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »
If you are ever in gay Paree be sure to go by his poster shop (it's not far from Notre Dame).  Heck of a nice guy.  I bought a LA NUIT DU LOUPE-GAROU
moyen from him.  Paid cash, got a discount AND he threw in the Monsters book in gratis.  Should order up the rest. 

I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
Choko is great.  One of the very few good and honest poster dealers.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
I first met Stanislas in person in Paris in 1989. A great guy personally and professionally.

I have the utmost respect for him!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html