Author Topic: Barry Lyndon one sheet with a few oddities, can't find another exactly like it.  (Read 3866 times)

Offline motsm

• Beginner
I've always been curious about my Barry Lyndon one sheet, so I figured it would be my first post here.

To start, it's slightly large at roughly 27 X 41 1/4". Second, is that it's rolled, which appears to be extremely uncommon for this release. Lastly, the areas of the art that have a gold color, actually have a shiny layer of gold ink. The gold was a total mystery to me until recently, when I saw the same ink applied to these so called "New York" one sheets at Heritage, which I linked at the bottom. After looking at a few them, I was thinking they could be hand done, as the gold varies between each poster.

Worth mentioning, is the paper itself has an odd sheen to it as well, which you can see in the way the camera flash reflects in the second picture I took. I'm not sure this is abnormal for this poster though, having not handled another Barry Lyndon one sheet in person. It just doesn't look like any of my other posters. :Edit: I'll add, the gloss is only on the front, the paper itself has the same look and feel as my others from the era on the back.

So does anyone have any idea what this is, or seen one like it before?

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/barry-lyndon-warner-brothers-1975-new-york-one-sheet-295-x-45-drama/a/510073-53035.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:10:26 PM by motsm »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Though all the copies that EMP sold were folded, it looks like they have sold a number of this same poster. I wonder if yours is different from those by EMP because there is no mention of a difference in the paper. And the fact that your copy is also rolled.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/BARRY%2520LYNDON/type/1sh/archive.html

And  welcome1 to APF! Your poster and how you framed it look great!

-Jeff

Offline motsm

• Beginner
Though all the copies that EMP sold were folded, it looks like they have sold a number of this same poster. I wonder if yours is different from those by EMP because there is no mention of a difference in the paper. And the fact that your copy is also rolled.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/BARRY%2520LYNDON/type/1sh/archive.html
I have looked through the EMP archive before, and while the art appears to be the same, there is a subtle difference in the gold highlights. It doesn't really come through a lot in photos, but it has a glossy/metallic shine to it. I mentioned in my post that the "New York" one sheets on Heritage appeared to have the same treatment, and on EMP, they call them half subway posters.

And  welcome1 to APF! Your poster and how you framed it look great!
Thank you! I built the frame myself, so I appreciate it. Thanks as well for the welcome.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Indeed, the Heritage "New York one-sheets" are not one-sheets.

They are what are called half subway posters (so named because subway posters measure 45x60 and half subways measure close to half of that).

Both kinds of subway posters are always for specific New York theaters, and were displayed on walls and sides of buildings, not at the theaters.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline motsm

• Beginner
Thanks for the reply Bruce.

As for the gold ink that I suspect was hand applied, I think this example shows it best. If you look at the gold , it's far bolder than the other subway posters on EMP, and is even out of the margin slightly on the bottom right corner because it's applied so heavily.

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=7038823

Now compared to another subway half, which has gold that follows the original art a bit better.

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=4485416

Finally, the one sheet, which doesn't have the extra gold on it.

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=10923925

Here is another zoom on my one sheet, which shows some of the gold where it was applied a little off, and you can see it doesn't have the lithograph dots.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
So what do you think your OS is? A possible, specially produced poster? Curious, for sure.

I guess, too, one would need to look at close up examples of the folded OS that EMP has sold to compare the gold applied areas that you detailed in your images.

Time for some "sherlocking."  sherlockholmes.gif

-Jeff

Offline motsm

• Beginner
So what do you think your OS is? A possible, specially produced poster? Curious, for sure.

I guess, too, one would need to look at close up examples of the folded OS that EMP has sold to compare the gold applied areas that you detailed in your images.

Time for some "sherlocking."  sherlockholmes.gif
It could just have been a test. Whoever was responsible to add that extra gold (metallic marker maybe?) used a one sheet to see how it applies, and then just rolled it up and stored it somewhere, which is why it was never folded for shipping?  Really just spit balling. I certainly don't think it's some valuable oddity, but I do find it interesting. I'm not sure if that could explain the extra 1/4" or not, as I don't have enough knowledge with how or when they are cut to size in the printing process.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
I guess the printing on the bottom is different from that on the half subway. Is there any difference from the regular one-sheet?

It does sound like some kind of test one-sheet. Interesting!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline motsm

• Beginner
I guess the printing on the bottom is different from that on the half subway. Is there any difference from the regular one-sheet?

It does sound like some kind of test one-sheet. Interesting!
Says "LITHO. IN U.S.A." on the bottom left and "75 / 218-4" on the right like normal, the registration lines and other markings all look the same as a standard one sheet as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Where and when did you acquire this? Online auction? ebay? Other?

Tis beautiful, for sure.

-Jeff

Offline motsm

• Beginner
Where and when did you acquire this? Online auction? ebay? Other?

Tis beautiful, for sure.
Ebay, maybe 18 months ago.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Ebay, maybe 18 months ago.

Great score!!  clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

Welcome to APF Motsm!
Really love your poster and how you've displayed it.
And also liking those Raiders lobbies.

Hope you find an answer to your question and looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
 cheers

Offline motsm

• Beginner
Welcome to APF Motsm!
Really love your poster and how you've displayed it.
And also liking those Raiders lobbies.

Hope you find an answer to your question and looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
 cheers
Thank you, I have the R82 Raiders one sheet on another wall with a couple more lobby cards, one of my favorites. My collection is really pretty small, as I haven't been seriously collecting too long, but I hope to grow it.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's collection as well.