Author Topic: Patton  (Read 3115 times)

TheKluse

Patton
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
Hello all,
First time posting here, nice to meet you all. I've inherited a poster from the movie Patton, but cannot find anything on the internet about it. I've contacted Anheuser-Busch and they cannot find any record of it existing. I'm wondering if it was a proposed poster that never made it to print? Any information or ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated. It's 24"x36" and in good condition. It's in a frame, so sorry for the glare. I cannot find any copyright information anywhere on it or around it.
Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Patton
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
First,  Welcome3.gif, Andrew! Hope you enjoy the forum here with all the good and helpful poster folks that are here.

There might be some small printers or copyright info along the border that is hidden by the frame. Is it possible to carefully remove it and check? If there, that might offer some clue, or maybe even show a year it was printed.

-Jeff

TheKluse

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
Thanks! I've seen a lot of gorgeous posters that I suddenly need to own! There is a ton of great information here also :)

I removed the frame and searched the border already hoping to find something. No luck :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:09:28 PM by TheKluse »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
And if it were a direct A-B tie in with the movie, you would think they would have used an image of George C Scott, rather than re-creating that famous scene with another actor. So it is a bit curious.

-Jeff

TheKluse

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
Yeah, the whole thing is a bit odd. I wonder if it actually has no relation to the movie, and is just an A-H poster that never got made. Money would have to exchange hands if they used anything from the movie... but they told me that have no record of this poster existing, so maybe somebody bootlegged the whole thing?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
Aside from recreating Scott's look from the famous speech scene, I'm thinking you might be right in that there is no direct tie in to the movie. What's also a little strange is that there is no advertising text or one of their specific beers shown. It's basically that photo with the A-B name at the bottom.

I did a quick look on Google, too, and so far have found nothing. Gotta love a challenge, tho.  ;)   sherlockholmes.gif
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:35:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

TheKluse

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
So are these kinds of unique posters more collectible, or are they trash? Ha.

My uncle was a graphic designer and avid beer drinker, it's possible he whipped this up with some stock art I suppose...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
So are these kinds of unique posters more collectible, or are they trash? Ha.

My uncle was a graphic designer and avid beer drinker, it's possible he whipped this up with some stock art I suppose...

They could be, to those that collect beer memorabilia, I suppose. If not created by A-B, though, that could be another story.

One that I found, but that is still promoting something, in this case, getting people to vote, is this one from back in 2004:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JIMMY-FALLON-2004-VOTE-Presidential-Election-Anheuser-Busch-Promo-poster-/371699729107?hash=item568b07c2d3:g:RQwAAOSwaB5Xn7Jo

-Jeff

TheKluse

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »
He worked at a big printing company, so they may have done a sample that was rejected and never got text. He kept a lot of misprints and other iconic major things that the made. Lots to look up I suppose.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
Sounds like that fact may have put you on the right road to finding out where this poster came from. Maybe you could contact A-B and ask if they ever had advert material printed by the company your uncle worked for.

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »
Just to chime in, there were often both national campaigns and regional distributor based campaigns.  My father retired from Dr. Pepper and they received national advertising materials and often created their own for regional campaigns and events.  Distributors owned the warehouses and trucks and were part of the community.    I can show you many beer posters not only specific to Texas but even to a specific segment of the market such as racing, rodeo, beauty contests.  It would also not surprise me that neither would keep records of the posters and campaigns that were printed. Does Patton have any connection to where it came from?

TheKluse

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »
This is true, I've seen our local distributors put out locally themed posters, but I never really gave much thought to them as they were usually junk. My uncle worked in Lynchburg, VA, but Patton had no connections there that I know of.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »
My father retired from Dr. Pepper

WHY? (retire that is) id never leave ... sluurrppp
;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!