Author Topic: Kathleen Stenning -  (Read 2622 times)

gillyarch

Kathleen Stenning -
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:21:28 AM »
After much research, I have discovered that a couple of posters and a set of other drawings I have are by Kathleen Stenning.  She is more known for some of the iconic London Underground posters in the 1920s.

In the main set of drawings, the group of friends were called the Launderers - they were authors, artists, actors and who were active in London  between 1924-1934.
The names - Brian Hill, Antonia White (Tony), Colin Gill, Joan Garstin and Alick Schepeler are to name a few.

I was wondering would these be worth anything?

Attached is one of the posters

Thank you

gillyarch

Kathleen Stenning - another poster
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:34:19 AM »
Another poster which I have by Kathleen Stenning in the 1920s - this one took me a while to work out it was by her.
Any valuation much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Kathleen Stenning - another poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
Did she often sign her work as "Sten"?

And  welcome1, too, to the forum. Hope you enjoy it and looking forward to seeing what else is in your collection.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:42:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Kathleen Stenning -
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:35:51 PM »
Very cool poster. What are the dimensions?  And is the above liner image a printed poster? Looking at your supersize image, it almost looks to be original artwork, with what look like brush strokes in certain areas, etc.

How did you determine that this piece was by her? Is her work normally unsigned? (Tho your other post of the line drawing has "Sten" in the lower right).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:35:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
I found these listed in the past auction results of Christies:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/searchresults.aspx?searchtype=p&searchfrom=auctionresults&entry=kathleen%20stenning&action=search

Although your specific poster is not among them, you can see that she has achieved very high prices so I imagine that yours would definitely be quite valuable.

gillyarch

Re: Kathleen Stenning - another poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:59:46 AM »
Unsure really - there is not much about her at all. I believe she may`ve been an austrailan.  Have found many Kathleen Stennings - and all leading to a dead end. There is one however who worked for Flight International - another magazine during the same period.

gillyarch

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:10:22 AM »
Very cool poster. What are the dimensions?  And is the above liner image a printed poster? Looking at your supersize image, it almost looks to be original artwork, with what look like brush strokes in certain areas, etc.

How did you determine that this piece was by her? Is her work normally unsigned? (Tho your other post of the line drawing has "Sten" in the lower right).

Measurements are A4 size and yes it is original artwork - but possibly in draft format.  On the back of the poster is written "poster for RMSL - manager said it looks like the end of world" - see attached.

I have gone through all the liners - Laconia (one funnel), lancastria (one funnel), lucania 2, Lusitania - but either there is no enough funnels or too early.  Is the poster of a  relaunch or welcoming back? Did send to the archivists for ocean liners but no one come back as yet.  - very intriguing

I suddenly woke up the other week and thought - the handwriting is the same as the one "i dont know much about art, but i know what i like"- the world like is identical! - as as that one is signed Sten - and I had other pieces of work by her, I put two and two together.

gillyarch

Kathleen Stenning and The Launderers
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:16:27 AM »
Herewith a couple of some of the other sketches (not posters) I have by Kathleen Stenning - of the group of people known as the Launderers in the 1920s

a bit racy!

I have been in contact with a gentleman in the USA who had even given me a lot of information about the Launderers - again intriguing stuff!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
Any idea what the letters XYZ stand for? At first i thought maybe they might be text place holders but why would they be painted onto the actual art, if they would be replaced later by a name, for example?

Just throwing out a total random question and guess here.  :)

-Jeff