Author Topic: October 2016  (Read 9919 times)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
October 2016
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:59:24 AM »
These are art prints rather than posters, but what the hell, I think they can go here.  The Mexican print artists that made these also made lots of posters too (propaganda posters in particular).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: October 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
Nice, Deke. What size are these?

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
Just received this from an ebay seller.
Its an original 1972 Warren Publications poster (20x27) of the iconic 1966 Creepy magazine cover by Frank Frazetta.
This is a stock photo.
Interesting article about the art: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3258408/visions-of-horror-frank-frazetta-creepy-7-and-dracula-meets-the-wolfman/

I've wanted one of these for years.
I still have the original mag which I bought off the newstands 50 years ago.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »
Nice, Deke. What size are these?

The sizes vary, but most are in the neighborhood of 16" x 20", with a few smaller ones.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
I just received a few interesting posters from Bruce's last special posters auction.
Very happy with these:

From 1983, a 22x34 from Bernie Wrightson:

and from 1993, this lovely piece by Olivia De Beardinis, which I'm sure photobucket will censor any moment...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
Nice pickups here, Ted.

And ive always really dug Wrightson's Frankenstein imagery. Didnt he do a number of them, portraying different scenes from the book?

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »
Yes sir, Wrightson did the entire story per Shelley's novel.
This wiki breakdown seems accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Wrightson%27s_Frankenstein
The man is a genius and often referred to as the greatest horror artist of all time.

I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Bernie at his Catskill Mtn. studio in the fall of 1985.  He was working on Spider-man Hooky, a Marvel graphic novel and gave me a look at that amazing work in progress while he went through my own portfolio.  It was an incredible afternoon. Afterwards, he graciously autographed my Swamp Thing collection and then, he pulled out a poster for Frankenstein and autographed it for me also.  It was a cardboard piece that stood on its own and he leaned it against the wall next to the door. Starstruck dumb-ass that I was forgot to grab it when I left at the end of the day.

As I was preparing to start my car, Bernie invited me to his upcoming Halloween party which he was throwing a few weeks later. It was gonna be a star-studded event held right there in his Victorian-style home in the woods just north of Woodstock. I forget many of the art and motion picture celebs he mentioned would be there except one -- Stephen King (and his band would be providing the music).  I was completely taken aback and told him that my then-wife was pregnant with a due date at the end of October.  If she didn't have the baby by party time, I'd come down from the Adirondacks for the event.  As it happened, my son was born Oct. 28 and I was just too involved to leave home.

It has haunted me to this day as to whatever happened to that poster he signed for me.  I wasn't ballsy enough to call him and ask for it, so I just consigned it to the dust heaps of my own memory. When I saw this one come up for auction, I considered it a consolation prize of sorts and jumped on it. I don't think it was the same art, but its close enough for me!
 cheers

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
Excellent acquisitions here.  sm1

Great info. and story, Ted.  Sounds like a heckua party you missed, but it's cool that you had an alternate party experience.

Some of these "special posters" are really cool.  Looking forward to the upcoming Thursday "special posters" auction at eMovie.