Author Topic: CH Beauvais Circus Poster? Any ideas?  (Read 3044 times)

Coldwater

CH Beauvais Circus Poster? Any ideas?
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »
Hoping to find out potential value and information on this French circus poster from the late 1800's - early 1900's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: CH Beauvais Circus Poster? Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:02 PM »
What are the dimensions of your poster, Coldwater?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
Another thing that might help in identifying when this was printed, would be to take it out of the frame to see if there might be any printer's information on the side or bottom borders.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »
Found on this website, ( http://www.sportsantiques.com/tonikpolo.htm ) it would be interesting to know if this same printer's info was on the border of your poster:

-Jeff

Coldwater

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »
Thanks Jeff! I will see if my friend can get it out of the frame and see.

Coldwater

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
Poster is 55 inches by 45 inches

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
Nice size poster. Very close to a classic French 1P size (47x63 inches).

Because Beauvais moved back to France (Marseille) in 1902-1903, after a 20 year stint in London, and setting up his own studio, there certainly is a good chance that your circus poster was produced sometime in the years he moved back and his death in 1909 (another source said he passed on in 1911).

Fingers crossed that your poster has some identifying printer's info on the border, too.

Even this little blurb from his great granddaughter was interesting:

Dear Mr Hendricks
I have been researching my family tree recently on the Beauvais side of our family. My Great Grandfather was Charles Henri Beauvais, a lithographer and artist. I was surfing on the net trying to find examples his commercial work, and up popped your Tonik Polo poster (I also found a couple of his other works - One called 'La Micheline' which has been reproduced as a poster).

I thought that you might appreciate a bit of information about the artist:

Charles Henri Beauvais was born in Marseille in 1862. He came to live and work in London in about 1881 as a lithographer. It was in London that he met my Great Grandmother Emily Anne. They had six children. Around about 1902 - 3 he moved himself and all his family back to France, back to his hometown, Marseille where he set up a studio. Sadly, he died in 1909. His widow returned to London. Several of his children and grandchildren inherited his artistic talents.

Feel free to contact me if you need any other information.

Regards,

Annette

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
Another question as I look at your poster. I see what looks like small sets of rippling lines in the white area to the right of the clown and near the ladies on the trapeze. Do you know if your poster was glued or attached to the backing board of the frame?

-Jeff

Coldwater

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 01:21:54 AM »
Not sure, the frame is completely paper sealed from the back so my friend is planning on taking it in to an auction house for appraisal and then looking and having it restored.  I believe the rippling is from water damage most likely.  It looks like the water ripples may be uniform and match each other, so I suspect it was rolled up and stored long ago and was framed in the condition it is in currently.

Coldwater

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »
Oh I see what you mean now, it does look like it was glued on doesn't it.  I wonder then if the discoloration lines on the upper portion at from glue deteriorating over time as opposed to water. Hopefully it isn't still glued.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:35 AM »
Even if glued, all isnt lost. If the adhesive was water based, then that would soften and dissolve in water, during the restoration. And the water stains will wash out easily as well.

Fingers crossed that (if adhered to the backing board) it is a water based glue. Or maybe it isnt attached at all. That and seeing the borders for any additional printer's info that might be hidden behind the edge of the frame.

-Jeff

Coldwater

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 01:44:32 AM »
I did manage to find a somewhat recent sale of another poser of his on invaluable.com

Sold for €910 at auction.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Cool find. Another bit of info to add to the file.

I wonder, too, if your circus poster was made as a stock poster of sorts. The large white area to the right of the clown looks like the perfect spot for advertising/dates and times of the next circus that might come into town. (just a guess here, of course), but the lack of any text would seem to suggest it was made to be used by various circuses that could then add their own info, as needed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:35:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Coldwater

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
Yes most definitely an advertisement stock piece.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
Beauvais' artistic style looks a bit different than other examples Ive found. Especially in the detail of the faces. Some of the sports-themed post cards I found online, are more simply drawn, whereas the figures on your poster all show great expression and detail .

Tho I found this advert, done while he worked in the UK, (dated 1894), that bears more resemblance to your piece, art-wise:

versus the imagery on this post card:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:01:51 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff