Author Topic: Fright Night original?  (Read 2504 times)

WarmBrains

Fright Night original?
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
Hi there,

New to the forum, great to be here! I picked this up at the thrift store yesterday for 20 bucks. One of my favorite 80s horror flicks of all time. I'm trying to find out if its an original or a high quality reprint. Either way i'm happy with it because I've been looking for a 27x40 poster with this movie art for a long time and I can't wait to hang it up!

I can tell from the edges that it looks as if someone might have cut off the original white border. Specifically in the upper left corner (see pics), also, where the "R" rating is in the bottom left the cut is also uneven there. Paper quality seems to be great, obviously there are no machine folds but I've been doing some reading and I understand Theatres started getting rolled posters in the mid 80s right around the time this came out?

I'm hopeful some of you experts can chime in and let me know!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:01:57 PM by WarmBrains »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Fright Night original?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Great movie.  I fell in love with Amanda Bearse when I first saw it, and then I learned she wasn't interested in my kind :(

Poster is from the video release.  Not sure about the white border.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

WarmBrains

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:05:55 PM »
Great movie.  I fell in love with Amanda Bearse when I first saw it, and then I learned she wasn't interested in my kind :(

Poster is from the video release.  Not sure about the white border.

T

Thanks for the quick response! How can you tell it was from the video release as opposed to a theatre release? I'm really new to authenticating movie posters and trying to learn as much as possible. Also, would you say its worth the $20 I paid? I don't plan on selling it because i'm a superfan of the movie (btw they are coming out with the documentary on it this October... google "You're so Cool Brewster Fright Night documentary") but it would be nice to know :)

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:06:36 PM by WarmBrains »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! How can you tell it was from the video release as opposed to a theatre release? I'm really new to authenticating movie posters and trying to learn as much as possible. Also, would you say its worth the $20 I paid? I don't plan on selling it because i'm a superfan of the movie (btw they are coming out with the documentary on it this October... google "You're so Cool Brewster Fright Night documentary") but it would be nice to know :)

Thanks again!

Your one detail pic gives it away as the video release poster. Notice the mention of VHS and Beta versions as well as the Columbia Pictures Home Video logo in the right corner:

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:14:56 PM »
Check the logo at the bottom right.  Home Video.  VHS.  Beta.

Here's my copy of the original theatrical release.

Regarding price, if you like it, it's all that matters.  I've had mine a long time, so not quite sure what a one sheet goes for, but I don't think that much.  Keep searching, you'll find one.

T

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:16:52 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

WarmBrains

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
Thank you all for your help!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
And here's my rolled copy of the video release OS. Looks like yours was trimmed to also remove the "Now Available on Videocassette" line at the bottom (along with the white border all the way around):

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:20:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
PS:  welcome1 to the forum, WetBrains. Enjoy the poster party!

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
I guess it goes for a little more than I thought.  80s posters for classic movies have gone up a little I guess.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/FRIGHT%2520NIGHT%2520%2528%252785%2529/type/1sh/archive.html

If you find a theatrical release, I would not buy a folded one.  Personally, I would not buy anything folded post 1983.  It exists rolled.  Just be patient.

T
My Personal Collection