Author Topic: 24X36: A Movie About Movie Posters - Trailer  (Read 12221 times)

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
24X36: A Movie About Movie Posters - Trailer
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
Huge apologies if this has been discussed before or elsewhere but I've only just learnt about this film...Looks very interesting

http://www.firstshowing.net/2016/watch-teaser-trailer-for-24x36-a-movie-about-movie-posters-doc/
Roll, roll, roll, Rollergirl!!!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: 24X36: A Movie About Movie Posters - Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
My Goodness, I see Mike Orlando is still around!

I remember buying posters from him back in 1990 when I was working for the summer in Toronto.  (I am from the UK).  His shop is the Hollywood Canteen.  Used to be north east of the centre.

And damn me, he looks exactly the same.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it as I collect prints, but I'm rather bored of this theme that movie posters can only be good if they're illustrated and that movie posters died in the 80s.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
This is out now in the US on itunes and Amazon

If you're in the UK, Sky Arts are showing it at 2pm tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon:

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4063/559

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
Saw this on Blu-ray over the extended holiday; I really enjoyed it.

Not being into the 24x36 prints like some on here, I didn't know quite as much about that particular topic so I found it pretty valuable. It's not particularly in-depth, but it gives a nice overall view of the hobby. 

guest4955

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:39:16 AM »
This is out now in the US on itunes and Amazon

If you're in the UK, Sky Arts are showing it at 2pm tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon:

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4063/559

Thanks for info, immediately headed to iTunes, hopefully worth $5

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:48:50 AM »
Cool, will look forward to your thoughts! I haven't seen it yet, I might watch this week if I can. I still fear the slant towards alternative film posters will be a bit too heavy.

guest4955

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
Cool, will look forward to your thoughts! I haven't seen it yet, I might watch this week if I can. I still fear the slant towards alternative film posters will be a bit too heavy.

Well the trailer makes a salient point: The studios gave illustrator artists the boot in '85 and only the 24x36s rescued them 20 years later...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
Here's one that I have zero desire to see.  I collect prints occasionally, but it ends there.  A movie about prints seems extremely boring to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
I collect prints occasionally, but it ends there. 

T

Aptly put T, as always. Of course, it is inevitable some psycho ExpressoBeans adherent will ICE you for your "I have 10 copies of every friggin' Mondo ever produced plus 15 weird variants thereof" collection.

DON'T CLICK HERE

http://eatbrie.com/Mondo.htm

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Aptly put T, as always.

You know I always call it as I see it.  I don't believe in holding back.

And no, not 10 copies of every print, just a few I've collected over the years.  ALL bought at cost.  I don't believe in feeding the scavengers.

T
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:24:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
I watched last night.

First 30 mins were good, nice to see a brief history and some information for beginners and good to see Kastel, a good Bob Peak/Coppola anecdote, some Alvin stories.

The next 10 mins were bashing modern posters (which was a bit tedious, to me it's just a change in style as we've seen through various decades of film poster design).

Then it moves to the alternative poster scene and the various galleries, artists, collectors. I know there's a divide there and some will sneer at the collectors queuing up all night to buy their posters, but I like the energy and infectiousness of the scene and it's fun to see a lot of young collectors enjoying the hobby. I like to see people enthusiastic about films and art.

There's also some relatively interesting stuff about the process (both prints and original posters), approvals/restrictions/licensing/store demands effecting design etc.

As a collector of both original posters and alternative prints, I quite enjoyed it. It's not very balanced though, too much prints and not enough original posters to be 'a movie about movie posters' as the tagline claims. It's nicely crafted and edited though (it could have done without the 'approximate resale' value infographics which were naff), so if you like films and posters or design, I'd recommend you give it a try. It's only 80 mins long.

guest4955

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
ALL bought at cost.  I don't believe in feeding the scavengers.

I'd send you an email asking HOW you get to the head of the pack.

But when I've sent you similar emails in the past ("Where did you buy that?") your response has - probably appropriately - been...

:-X

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
Yes, I don't answer emails pertaining to where I get stuff.  We all have our ways of doing things, and adding to the mix doesn't make things easier.  I don't always succeed in my endeavors, mind you, but I have a solid circle of friends who do not believe in profiting from other people work and always step in to help.

That's all.

T
My Personal Collection