Author Topic: Why don't women collect posters?  (Read 64297 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Re: Why don't women collect posters?
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
If thread is offensive as fuck and probably explains why however many women collectors there are don't much post on these boards.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2018, 12:49:37 AM »
If thread is offensive as fuck and probably explains why however many women collectors there are don't much post on these boards.

There it is!  What Ladeda said.  Okie

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »
I agree, they rather buy shoes

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
I agree, they rather buy shoes

Uncool, 50s.  Ladeda makes a legit statement based on some of the posts that go off on stereotype "boys' club" posts.  If someone as cool as Ladeda is offended, that really sucks for this part of APF.  "Hand bags, ha, ha.  Shoes, ha, ha."  Just not funny.  I make stupid mistakes, too.  Let's learn from it, and strive to be better.  It's poster collecting for all on APF, right?   Okie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:29:30 PM by okiehawker »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31:57 PM »
Okie, at least sundancekid has stopped doing his Trump impression here with his posts how he's "bagging babes".
No idea if he lets them put the notch in the bedpost himself, or if there is a secret ceremony.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
Okie, at least sundancekid has stopped doing his Trump impression here with his posts how he's "bagging babes".
No idea if he lets them put the notch in the bedpost himself, or if there is a secret ceremony.

Hi Crow, Thank goodness we all have the opportunity to learn from our closet skeletons, eh?  "The Ghosts That Haunt Me" by Crash Test Dummies comes to mind.  Okie
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:17:37 AM by okiehawker »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2018, 04:31:33 AM »
Uncool, 50s.  Ladeda makes a legit statement based on some of the posts that go off on stereotype "boys' club" posts.  If someone as cool as Ladeda is offended, that really sucks for this part of APF.  "Hand bags, ha, ha.  Shoes, ha, ha."  Just not funny.  I make stupid mistakes, too.  Let's learn from it, and strive to be better.  It's poster collecting for all on APF, right?   Okie

Women prefer to buy shoes. I take pity simple facts are not what you want to hear. Do a poll with women you know if in doubt. If Ladeda doesn't agree women prefer to buy shoes, I'd like to hear. Women is a general term, of course there will be exceptions!

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »
What would the poll be? Would you prefer to buy a pair of shoes or a film poster? It's a bit of a skewed question seeing as we all (or most of us) wear shoes, but only a few of us collect posters.

I think you need to come up with a better argument than that to prove your point.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi Crow, Thank goodness we all have the opportunity to learn from our closet skeletons, eh?

As long as we are all learning the world is a better place.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2018, 10:36:22 PM »
Women prefer to buy shoes. I take pity simple facts are not what you want to hear. Do a poll with women you know if in doubt. If Ladeda doesn't agree women prefer to buy shoes, I'd like to hear. Women is a general term, of course there will be exceptions!

I see a lot more ladies shopping for collectibles, including movie posters, at conventions than I saw 40+ years ago.  On the shoe front, there are definitely certain days and activities that I prefer shoes over movie posters. Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
I think steve was being facetious. Woemn today still pressured to look good to acheive hence the shoes over stinky fucking paper

I think men are more into collectibles generally than women, at least as far as certain collectibles go that would prob includes posters.  Doesn't mean anything more than that.
Women prob have less disposable income too based on income inequality as well as family first responsibilities (thank god cause we are louches). Also most movie posters you bastards buy are for guy flicks which most movies are anyway so explains why women may have less inclination to get a star wars jaws james bond poster

I agree with ladeda there are stupid comments here and all over apf.  Also agree people can learn by having said stupid comments debunked. 

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »
To be fair...I dont find that "collecting" is happening as much in my generation as the one previously and It looks like the generation behind me is even less inclined...I'm 37 and I collect vintage movie posters, antique maps and prints pre 1800's (19th century), rare shells, old books etc....Most of my friends are between age 30-50 and not one of them collects anything...not comics, toys, posters, stamps, coins, shoes or cars...They either don't have a passion for antiques/nostalgia/collecting or they dont have any disposable income...the one curious thread between them is that if they have any extra $$$ or disposable income...they like to adventure and travel often...they like to eat expensive foods and travel the world as much as they can...I like to do both...collect posters and travel!!  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:32:05 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
Interesting generational observation.  I wonder if because they grew up in a digital world there's less of a connection with physical objects that remind them of their childhood? Posters and ephemera are direct links for me to movies that I love, not sure that connection is there with These Kids of Today.  Might explain the interest in vintage game consoles, etc.

(Get offa my lawn.)
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
It is a number of things...but ultimately alternative lifestyles break the bond that was created by capitalism for people to constantly want material objects...the "these kids today" is a antiquated term that speaks to that disconnect...One of the main reasons for the sea change is that there have been quick volatile movements and culture shifts: you can see it in literature, film and popular culture trends.... to live in the moment and create memories became a mantra rather than dwell constantly on "things were so much better back them" and  "ahhh the good old days" nostalgia basking in a golden hue of memory...its a paradigm shift!...Destination tourism was literally created because of the SEE IT NOW...BEFORE IT'S GONE AND CHANGES! marketing...that speaks volumes about that shift...the one constant theme is that the middle class just doesn't have the expendable income it once had...collecting is a refined taste that takes a lifetime to acquire..perhaps the quickening of the times fights that reality
Tait

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2018, 02:55:43 AM »

Women prob have less disposable income too based on income inequality as well as family first responsibilities (thank god cause we are louches).

I actually read somewhere that, although men (on average) earn more money, women spend the most of it  ;D

the one constant theme is that the middle class just doesn't have the expendable income it once had...

I personally think economy is a huge piece of why the younger generation is not collecting as much.  My classmates from university who were able to get jobs had to move to big cities.  We're talking tiny studio apartments.  They don't have basements or attics to store things in, let along a closet to keep holiday decorations for every season of the year.  The few (top one percent) who become corporate execs move to affluent suburbs and get cavernous McMansions with blank, white walls.  That minimalistic look is really en vogue right now.  I reckon it complements the vaulted ceilings.  Oh, and did I mention the hours?  If you are working a "professional" position, I am always told to expect a salary (not hourly pay) so they can make you work 80 hours a week without overtime.  I cannot imagine finding the time or energy for a hobby with those kind of hours (not easily, anyway!).  Tait, you bring up some really interesting cultural reasons, too. 

guest4955

« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »
I think her bozo beau posted this on eBay to entice a sale!