Author Topic: Why don't women collect posters?  (Read 65250 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Why don't women collect posters?
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2015, 08:39:28 AM »
+1

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »
I know there are lots of women who colect art posters (screen prints and the like as its probably more trendy to do that rather than dusty old movie posters!).

Just a tick poster art. Let's not slip into the 'all posters = movie posters' fallacy. The majority of posters are not movie posters - although most of the posters posting on here do post about movie posters...but NOT me! And to top it all, theatrical and advertising and design posters of the 19th Century are even dustier and older than 'old movie posters'. And as for the 'Star Wars' collectors...well sometimes I feel as if I'm surrounded! And I would say that if there is any 'trend' it has been to collect film posters because they are much more readily available and people tend to associate with them strongly because of their love of a particular movie or film star.

As for collecting babies? Well that simply wouldn't work. After a year or so they turn into something quite different thus invalidating your entire collection...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:56:47 AM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
It was by the way just a bit of humour, the "collecting babies" was a joke - off course I wasn't serious about this! But apols if anyone was offended. Incidently, 'dusty old movie posters collected by men' is often a comment I have heard and had directed at me - by women. I still think women yes, may appreciate the art of movie posters but definately not exessive at collecting things as men are.

Maybe we should launch a thread about babies in movie posters. There must be lots out there!

One of my faves has to be this Polish one by Walkuski

And this more recent one by Leszek Zebrowski

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
Another for Rosemary's Baby, that is also very creepy.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:01:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. 55yo Karen, my personal assistants' supervisor, came by yesterday and complimented my "wonderful, amazing" MPs 25+ times.

Yep, it was partly to indulge a not-very-important client's whimsies, but it was mostly sincere. She praised several individual posters, including the "colors" of HSH:

Two other recent female visitors also effusively praised them.

My stepmother "loves" the "I Love Melvin [Sr]" half-sheet I gave and wants me to loan "Let's Fall In Love" (nope!)

But none said "where can I get these?"

On the other hand, Karen's  two female predecessors never noticed or mentioned them. My two sisters have expressed zero interest in them and advised that I save my money instead. (One sisters did hang up 3 gift MP frames in her kids' rooms). Finally, my ex-GF showed zilcho interest in them or my enthralling MP war stories......

Sadly lacking....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
Does Karen know how much they're worth?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
Does Karen know how much they're worth?

T

Nope and I told my stepmother I spent a "pretty penny" on LFIL but I doubt she knows its true worth.

I should add that, except for two, none of my female legal colleagues/supervisors/clients ever said a word 'bout the 4 MPs I framed/rotated in my office. My male clients usually wanted to discuss the movies shown, but never commented on the merits of the MPs themselves.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »
You should tell Karen what you paid for War of the Worlds, get your phone ready and post a picture of her face just as she registers the amount.

Do it!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:08 PM »
You should tell Karen what you paid for War of the Worlds, get your phone ready and post a picture of her face just as she registers the amount.

Do it!!!

T
Then Mel goes to sleep and wakes to bare walls :)
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2018, 11:22:11 PM »
Then Mel goes to sleep and wakes to bare walls :)

I find both those very hard to believe

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »
notworthy.gif

I find both those very hard to believe

guest4955

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
Oh you MOORONS are TERRIBLE criminals!  >:D

Not braggin', but I VERY poorly invested $5K each into Sullivan's Travels and LFIL. If I ever resell, I'll have tp sell them as Ebay BINS to recover my moola. So those also are primo nabbable!

"Dumb Criminals and Even Dumber Victim".....

Good news if you ever buy a ticket to Charlotte and get caught stealing'.

guest4955

« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2018, 10:42:47 PM »
Totally given up understanding those of the feminine persuasion. Been trying to preach them the virtues of our hobby, but mostly misfiring.

My "wild child" 29yo cousin professes zero interest in MPs but LOVES 1930s It Happened One Night, so I created and will print up this 30"x40"collage for her with her favorite line:

I showed her all the beautiful international MPs for Cassie but she only liked:

I sent my Aunt Phyllis the following:

Crickets....

Finally both my sister - who has told me several times to stop "wasting" my moola on MPs - and cousin somehow LIKED one of my FB MP groups, which means - I think - ALL new posts to the group show up in their "feed."??????

Any explanation "Cyclops Cinderella"?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:24 AM »
My "wild child" 29yo cousin professes zero interest in MPs but LOVES 1930s It Happened One Night, so I created and will print up this 30"x40"collage for her with her favorite line:

my wife collects romance lobbies and stuff and thinks most of the It Happened One Night Material is ugly.

I sent my Aunt Phyllis the following:
Crickets....

Not sure I get this, was she supposed to go crazy over some ugly lobbies starring nobodies just because her first name happened to be on the title?
Seems silly.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2018, 01:44:40 AM »

Any explanation "Cyclops Cinderella"?

Such a defining photo of Lake, Sundance!  She had such a huge, seemingly almost accidental, influence on style.  Collectible for all, I say!  Okie

guest4955

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
"Cyclops Cinderella" = 1941 Harvard Lampoon's description of VL, also deemed her worst actress of the year!

So a couple of days ago my 20-something maid supervisor came by to clean my apt. and surprised me by asking me to help her and her hubby start a MP collection.

Apparently she spotted this GWTW:

So I said I'd send her info and headed to gym. She left me this note:

We exchanged a few emails and I offered her 11 free posters but she only wanted a 24x36 version of this so-called "ugly" IHON collage:

BTW So I'm not posting for self-glorification, just "silly" fun and encouraging "all y'all" to promote our 'lil hobby....

guest4955

« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »
Well both Emma (cuz) and Laurie (maid) both thanked me and emailed me pics of the IHONs framed but I can't locate pics  moron1

Yesterday, after I commented that most women "meh/disdain" MPs, Emma commented:

My new PA Jelen LOVES horror movies but has limited interest in horror MPs (?) [like most peeps, posters have no independent interest to her, just sparks references to actual movie itself]

But she oddly liked my "very cool" Signal:

Finally, first positive thing my 48yo sis Rachael has ever said about MPs:

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
Fascinating thread.

In my very limited experience, aside from "girly" collectables such as handbags, shoes and twee china nick-nacks, the majority of collectors that I've encountered have been male. 

My professors would explain this discrepancy by saying that women are "socially conditioned" to prefer more traditionally feminine hobbies, and that we should solve this problematic inequity by "redistributing" men's movie posters to women. 

Seriously though, they say that men tend to be more visually stimulated.  I've sometimes wondered if that has anything to do with the gender distribution of this hobby. 

It might be something to do with the so-called "male brain" or the fact that conditions like autism, with its emphasis on order and so forth, tend to be more prevalent in men, but that's speculation.

Yes, absolutely yes.  I've thought of this before.  It is very characteristic of anyone on the spectrum to have very narrow, specific, and obsessive interests.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »
Fascinating thread.

My professors would explain this discrepancy by saying that women are "socially conditioned" to prefer more traditionally feminine hobbies, and that we should solve this problematic inequity by "redistributing" men's movie posters to women. 

Seriously though, they say that men tend to be more visually stimulated. I've sometimes wondered if that has anything to do with the gender distribution of this hobby.

Yes, absolutely yes.  I've thought of this before.  It is very characteristic of anyone on the spectrum to have very narrow, specific, and obsessive interests.

I would think that this is part of it, for sure. Visual stimulation is just that, regardless of what visual is doing the stimulating.

The idea brings up a broader question, too, with regard to other collectibles like coins, currency or comic books, for example. Are these areas also more "male-heavy" as far as the ratio of men to women? (Or vice versa?)  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
What to do if your "old lady" bitches about your MPs (yep, this one is homely  :-*):

guest4955

« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »
I would think that this is part of it, for sure. Visual stimulation is just that, regardless of what visual is doing the stimulating.

The idea brings up a broader question, too, with regard to other collectibles like coins, currency or comic books, for example. Are these areas also more "male-heavy" as far as the ratio of men to women? (Or vice versa?)  dontknow.gif

My [female relative] was (is?) a designer luxury handbag "flipper." Like Mondo, designers deliberately underprice/under-produce these bags and limit access to them, e.g. will not sell to undesirable customers (like Russian mafia mistresses etc.) So she went to hyper-exclusive stores throughout Europe and bought expensive bags and resold them to resellers, who sell them to undesirables and black-listed customers. She says the stores carefully verify her identity - they're not open to the general public - and she is deemed an "acceptable customer." Big $$$$....

guest4955

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »
This explains la problema:

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
https://www.tv2.no/nyheter/9876367/

They did a test on Kors bags in Norway , "cheap crap" was the verdict (and these bags they want 3000 krones for  crying

guest4955

« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2018, 12:44:04 AM »
Haha, well this does NOT prove that XXs like or collect MPs, but it’s instructive:

1) MPs are the primary vehicle to promote online
2) Actors MUST do much more promotions nowadays themselves, including igniting viral social media fever, as happened here

I posted these elsewhere b4 I learned about the social media success. Close to 1 million likes, 3K comments:

LATimes includes MPs:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-2018-anna-kendrick-and-blake-lively-s-new-1529598748-htmlstory.html

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Women don't collect posters because they are usually so damn practical about money. They will burn up a man's paycheck buying shoes, handbags, clothing because they will get used (worn) eventually. But they usually keep a sharp eye on the checkbook and will panic when the level of cash gets close to or below a certain level. Women want to have a certain level of comfort consistently and if they see a bump in the road coming, watch out.

To them spending crazy amounts of money of a piece of paper is a total waste because they see no point or value to it, and should be stamped out immediately.

It's rare but you will sometimes find a woman who collects posters, but they are the exception, not the rule. It's usually only a couple of pieces that speak to them esthetically and not massive accumulations like we see here.

Wimmen are craazzy!!  starz.gif