Author Topic: Why don't women collect posters?  (Read 64276 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Why don't women collect posters?
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
It's a very serious question.

Aside from Holiday and Jeannie (and a couple others), this forum is 99% made of dudes.  Why is that?  Are they that much smarter than us, are we that vain?

What is the truth behind women and collecting?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Why don't women collect posters?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
Contrary to just about everything else in their makeup, perhaps they are more rational and practical when it comes to spending hard earned $$$ on pieces of paper ;)

In seriousness though, on NSFGE there are approx 4 semi-regular female posters...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:45 AM »
Well, my girlfriend comes with me to any of the film fairs, but she collects Postcards. A friend of mine's Wife collects Belgian posters. It seems that women like small things??

Maybe it's down to the primitive "Hunter, Gatherer" in men, only now we hunt, and gather Posters!
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:48:13 AM »
Contrary to just about everything else in their makeup, perhaps they are more rational and practical when it comes to spending hard earned $$$ on pieces of paper ;)

Surely you jest. They just spend it on other stuff.  

Many moons ago my former (natural brunette) girlfriend spent at least $150 a week at the hair salon to keep her hair looking naturally blonde and at the tanning salon, which kept her skin oompa-loompa orange.  

My sister had several closets full of clothes that she never wore.  Eventually she moved to London and gave away 90% of her stuff.

But women do collect "stuff."  A secretary in 2000 at my old firm OBSESSIVELY collected "Beanie Babies."  She was on Ebay all day long buying them. (Now I know the feeling!)  Actually, the Wikipedia article on that fad is worth reading: "In the hysteria of the late 90s, the bears were perceived to be the most sought-after beanies, and often carried inflated price tags - however, many of the popular bears have since turned out to be fairly common."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:36:59 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:02 AM »
It seems that women like small things??

Well, on the subject of posters... You could be on to something... My g/f lothes all my posters.... That was until a week ago when she saw her first Mexican lobby card ($5), and she said, "oh, that one is ok..." WTF?!!! Aaaargh!

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »

Yeah they are more practical about spending money. Two closets full of shoes they can't possibly wear in a year. Outfits that once they've worn them once, maybe twice, are out of style after that. Make-up products galore, fine china that never gets used because it's too precious, house decor for each season and so on and so on.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
My gf didnt like the idea at first but as the posters started rolling in she began slowly changing her mind...She has now seen the light and is sharing in the fun. She gets excited when a package arrives and wants to see what "we" got. I dont get that "we" but its cool.

What is not as cool though is that she now also wants to see what Im looking at, watching or bidding on before I get it....Example from a couple of weeks ago " I dont like that one" blahblah.."Whats not to like? Its Gilda and dont worry. See the price. We aint getting it!"  :P ... laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
Well, on the subject of posters... You could be on to something... My g/f lothes all my posters.... That was until a week ago when she saw her first Mexican lobby card ($5), and she said, "oh, that one is ok..." WTF?!!! Aaaargh!

Have fun collecting those mexican lobbies!  ;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
Its Gilda and dont worry. See the price. We aint getting it!"  :P ... laugh1

You should have asked for an early Christmas present from her - you know early as in encompassing EVERY Christmas from 2010-2075!
Chris

Meansheets

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Great topic, Thierry! I think most women appreciate the classy French/International design style posters, but not so much the typical guy stuff that fuels the hobby--Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, etc.

But also, I think women are happy to buy just one poster. They don't have that insatiable need like most collectors! That said, I think this could be the way to expand the hobby, by somehow broadening the net and appealing more to women and fashion/art/design fans.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
Certainly there are less female collectors BUT some of the womenly collections I have had the pleasure of browsing put anything us inept males could amass to shame!
Chris

Muddyfunster

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:19 AM »
Men seem to collect nerdier stuff than women, but women are collectors too.

My wife collects handbags. Mainly Luis Vuitton, Chanel, Mulberry, Chloe and Coach. She also collects shoes, jewellery etc. She spends longer than I do online looking for posters, on sites like ASOS, Net-a-porter etc. She wouldn't call herself a collector but it is exactly the same impulse as we poster collectors.

One thing I would say about my poster collecting is that I do so to acquire assets, as well as for the pleasure I get from them being a huge film fan. I would never buy a poster beyond its market value and if I sell my aim is always to make a profit.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
The male to female ratio for the forum has fallen to 10:1,why dont we do one of those semi nude calenders that seem to be everywhere..the more discerning members of the opposite sex will surely crash the server trying to sign up... T should be Mr February....   :D

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
How's this, Stew? Click on it...it's animated....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
Ted, you better delete that "naked men" search from your history before the missus sees it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
How's this, Stew? Click on it...it's animated....

Ted are you second from left or third ?.. i need my glasses.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »
They all seem to have small, er..............Hands.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
Ted, you better delete that "naked men" search from your history before the missus sees it.

Good thinking, man!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Hmmm - an old topic.  Turns out the male-female ratio on Wikipedia is 85-15 too

"Jane Margolis, co-author of a book on sexism in computer science, “Unlocking the Clubhouse,” argues that Wikipedia is experiencing the same problems of the offline world, where women are less willing to assert their opinions in public."

Maybe time to start posting on the doll forums....

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
It is not true that women don't collect, as a decent percentage of our regular buyers are female.

But they don't post on forums, with a very few exceptions.

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »
Im not sure if there is such a forum out there,but going by my beloved...my advice start a Shoe discussion forum..your server may experience melt down  :)

Stew

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
The biggest poster buyer of the last 3-4 years has been a woman, so they are definitely out there.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
The biggest poster buyer of the last 3-4 years has been a woman, so they are definitely out there.

The Queen of England?  Beyonce (somebody told me she spend $20,000 at an NYC poster shop)?  Lindsay Lohan? 

You guys are such teases.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Amy Whinehouse has the market cornerd in these parts..  :(

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
I do know of a Lady dealer in the london area. She is more into advertising posters, but dabbles with the odd film poster.

On the whole I personally know more Female collectors, but they collect nick-nacks, Dolls, pottery, wade figures, , and compliments.  ;)