Author Topic: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?  (Read 81787 times)

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
Re: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
Speaking of Jaws, I saw that Susan Backline signs copies of this photo at shows she attends.
Is this a real poster, or did someone mock up this for her and include fold lines and everything when they made it?

I follow Jaws posters closely and I don't believe that is a studio produced piece.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
I'm no expert, but I've been collecting Jaws posters here and there, and this poster doesn't exist.

As far as the other one is concerned, yes, there are all dark blue.  International posters from Italy or Australia did use a lighter shade of blue. 

Here's a link to my Jaws poster sub-collection so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://moviepostersgallery.com/jaws/

T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:35:31 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2019, 04:45:04 AM »
Can anyone advise if there exists a rolled version of the Jaws one sheet without the NSS number?

Desk

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »
Can anyone advise if there exists a rolled version of the Jaws one sheet without the NSS number?

EMP has one example in their archive that does not have a NSS number on it.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/15845518.html

Are you by chance asking in regards to an example currently on eBay? I would avoid that one since it doesn't measure 27 by 41.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2019, 07:47:08 AM »
With all due respect to the Star Wars 77x0ae934r or whatever hell the number is, that is a totally different situation as there are other versions of the Star Wars 77 poster that are original that collectors can opt for that don't have the 3q43rqroqrqew numbers at the bottom. I sure as freaking hell wish there were two versions of the original Jaws poster. One for the idiots to buy that says 75232.0--3-4r3 and the regular one for sensible people like myself to pick up. But unfortunately, that is not part of the mystic of the Jaws 75 one sheet poster. Again, there is nothing post 70 that resembles the hype of the Jaws poster, nothing.

Reading through this thread, I'm not sure what is hard to understand about the Jaws poster pricing. The Jaws OS is probably the most recognizable movie image in the world. While Star Wars may have eclipsed Jaws at the box office, it does not have as broad of appeal. Also, as stated, there are far more examples of Star Wars.

As others have stated, many non-collectors desire this poster and want to be able to say that the one hanging in their home or office is an original from the 70s. Yes, normal people care about and desire this poster more than others from this period.

I would argue that the "Revenge" teaser for Jedi has a similar "hype" or "aura" as you put it, though on a smaller scale. The Revenge teaser is not rare, but commands huge numbers because of its perceived rarity and mystique.

Thankfully, I was a nerd in 1983 and purchased mine through the fan club for around 10 bucks. It is not in perfect condition because I was 10 and had no way of knowing that it would become valuable. But I would never replace it because of its personal history.

- Eric

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2020, 02:22:08 PM »
45 yrs ago tomorrow  faint2.gif notworthy.gif

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
I just noticed that for the first time in a couple of years, more than 30 days has gone by that emovie has not offered a copy of Jaws.
Maybe the supply is finally drying up.   eyeroll
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »
I just noticed that for the first time in a couple of years, more than 30 days has gone by that emovie has not offered a copy of Jaws.
Maybe the supply is finally drying up.   eyeroll

Their move to holding auctions every other week is certainly a factor in that.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »
Their move to holding auctions every other week is certainly a factor in that.
I take it you guys don't monitor the bulk auctions?
Specifically the lot of 10 Jaws one sheets a few weeks back...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »
45 yrs ago tomorrow  faint2.gif notworthy.gif

What a great movie!  Hard to beat the scar comparing scene and Quint's Indianapolis story. Robert Shaw was golden. As Quint, he reminds me so much of my grandfather. Okie

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »
I take it you guys don't monitor the bulk auctions?
Specifically the lot of 10 Jaws one sheets a few weeks back...

I'm not sure if you're joking. I have an alert set up for Jaws and that didn't pop up for me.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2020, 10:55:34 PM »
What you guys need to get is a rolled one.  That's the "rare" one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2020, 01:04:03 AM »
What you guys need to get is a rolled one.  That's the "rare" one.

T

True, Bruce has only sold six of those in the last two years.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2020, 01:05:08 AM »
True, Bruce has only sold six of those in the last two years.

Thus the quotes, smart ass.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »
Thus the quotes, smart ass.

T

I'm just agreeing with you, sheesh.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:15:56 PM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2020, 11:32:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPYq7bmpldw

It's probably the greatest travesty in the history of poster collecting that the greatest film of the 1970's (hardly a feat, considering) has the ugliest image I've ever seen. For starters, the shark doesn't even look scary and it doesn't look like a Great White - its head is too narrow - it resembles a Grey Nurse shark, totally harmless! To me, the poster is worthless - I wouldn't offer anything for it and it's so frustrating as I'd really like some paper from this title (or franchise). The closest I've got was almost bidding on a Jaws 2 teaser with the red/orange background but even that is a bit naff. I'd settle for a fan made poster at this point. Does anyone know if the Italians created a non-generic one? It's funny, I'm not a fan of anything Italian - don't like their food, architecture, home design, furniture or fashion but I have to hand it to them, their posters - of usually the most striking scene or image are unforgettable.
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2020, 06:11:55 PM »
The Italians used the same images as you see on the US one sheet. There is an Italian 1P teaser without any text other than the title that is super clean.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/JAWS/tag/nation%253AItaly/archive.html

If you are looking for alternatives to the Roger Kastel image you might check out some of these:
Turkey: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/JAWS/tag/nation%253ATurkey/archive.html - This is the Jaws 2 shark
Poland: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/JAWS/tag/nation%253APoland/archive.html
India: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/JAWS/tag/nation%253AIndia/archive.html
Thai: https://www.moviepostersgallery.com/poster/jaws-34/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
Probably one of my favorite poster.  This is the 7 sheet which I bought a little while back.

I have an Indian one sheet that I had never seen before en route to me.

The rest can be seen in my sub gallery here... https://www.moviepostersgallery.com/jaws/

T

My Personal Collection

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2020, 10:14:26 PM »
I'm excited to see this new Indian one sheet. Although that means another poster I have to find.

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2020, 05:26:50 AM »
https://youtu.be/WXcqkcROAvI

Thanks, Eric. I'm familiar with those, I almost bought the Turkish, although I think the Indian is my favourite of the official posters - so cheap, so tacky, so good - Uhhrrrrr..

Thierry, I thought the seven sheet Jaws didn't have a dark border - or any border? It's certainly an improvement over the one sheet, owing to the lack of text but the shark is still a Grey Nurse! Yes, I've seen your collection. The one of Robert Shaw on the boat is the best although I think the perspective is off, slightly. It's almost there, but isn't everything...
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »
I'm excited to see this new Indian one sheet. Although that means another poster I have to find.

So here we go... the beautiful Indian Jaws w green waters hahaha!!!  Definitely a completist item.  I can't imagine anyone being interested in green water Jaws.  But I love it!!!

PS: I didn't know you were a Jaws completist.  Show us your collection!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2020, 06:56:46 PM »
That is sure something! I don't suspect a lot of other people are going to be clamoring over that one.

T

I've shared a couple of my pieces but not very many of them. This is a good reason to start doing that. There are a few Jaws pieces that I have that you don't but you are definitely way ahead of me, especially on the super rare stuff. I have more from the sequels, especially the junk from Jaws 3D and Jaws: The Revenge.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Yeah, I don't collect Jaws 3D and Revenge.  Only the first Jaws really, because it's Spielberg's and I collect his stuff.  I have a few Jaws 2, but very few.

Show me what I'm missing from the 1st one.  I'm always interested.  Like this Indian os.  Didn't even know it existed until I saw it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2020, 04:19:41 PM »
So here we go... the beautiful Indian Jaws w green waters hahaha!!!  Definitely a completist item.  I can't imagine anyone being interested in green water Jaws.  But I love it!!!

T

This one looks like a Simpsons episode. Jaws comes to Lake Springfield.