Author Topic: Comic Con 16  (Read 17180 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Comic Con 16
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 12:09:29 AM »
Great organization and system there, T. Looks good!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »
you've done it right and it's damned impressive

+1  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:19:52 PM by Chris9000 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
I love how the poster are all lined up in the piles, and not....straggly. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
I love how the poster are all lined up in the piles, and not....straggly.

...and not a single mylar pocket anywhere. I greatly admire your "neat and tidiness" Thierry but I would be scared stiff of potential damage from handling unprotected posters.

Mark

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »
...and not a single mylar pocket anywhere. I greatly admire your "neat and tidiness" Thierry but I would be scared stiff of potential damage from handling unprotected posters.
Mark

If I had to guess, I'd bet there's not a whole lot of handling taking place with his posters.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
T's house is wrapped in a thick mylar bubble...his children will be well preserved

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »

Mark

I don't own truly expensive posters, Mark.  If I did, I'd probably be more careful.  This said, I never understood the point of mylar sleeves.  Maybe it's because I live in Southern Cal. where humidity is not so much a factor, but my posters have been stacked up since I started collecting some 16 years ago, and they are all in the exact same condition I bought them in.  Better actually, since the folds have been flattened and I fixed whatever small defects they had.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
Got to say, I'm the same. Had my poster piled up on top of each other for 45 years. They still look as good as the day I bought them...
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
I don't own truly expensive posters, Mark.  If I did, I'd probably be more careful.  This said, I never understood the point of mylar sleeves.  Maybe it's because I live in Southern Cal. where humidity is not so much a factor, but my posters have been stacked up since I started collecting some 16 years ago, and they are all in the exact same condition I bought them in.  Better actually, since the folds have been flattened and I fixed whatever small defects they had.

T

With the exception of over-sized items I keep every poster, cheap and expensive, in a mylar pocket. There are numerous benefits:-

- Under weight, fold lines greatly diminish and rolled posters become permanently flat.
- Posters are protected from dust, bugs, moisture etc.
- Handling damage is virtually eliminated. Fragile posters in particular are given extra support.
- It is easy to pull out a poster from the middle of a pile without disturbing those above and below.
- Posters of similar size can be kept together for the same title
- The pockets are archival.
- They form a barrier between the poster and potentially harmful resins and glues in my antique wooden plan chests.
- They self-contain any contamination present in a poster (eg foxing) so that it cannot spread to another poster.
- They seem to improve the clarity of the poster.

Mark

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:49:48 PM by marklawd »

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
With the exception of over-sized items I keep every poster, cheap and expensive, in a mylar pocket. There are numerous benefits:-

Mark, do you keep only one poster per sleeve? Isn't this cost prohibitive?

I understand the the pros of keeping every single poster in a sleeve, but I'd think you get to a point of diminishing returns on the cheaper ones.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »
I understand your prerogative, Mark, but I really don't need it.  Not for me.  My posters are fine and better than when I first got them.  Plus, imagine the work and the cost involved in mylar protecting 12,000 + movie posters.

To each his own, I guess.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
Mark, do you keep only one poster per sleeve? Isn't this cost prohibitive?

I understand the the pros of keeping every single poster in a sleeve, but I'd think you get to a point of diminishing returns on the cheaper ones.

I keep up to 10-12 cheaper modern ones in a single pocket Chris - it speeds up the flattening process.

Mark