Author Topic: CineMasterpieces Conversations  (Read 32262 times)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
CineMasterpieces Conversations
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »

Every now and then we have some amusing email conversations. Here is the latest one. It involves our listing for a Star Wars style A "funky text" one sheet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182122760223

This poster is clearly authentic and anyone who knows anything about Star Wars posters knows it is. Except for this guy who thinks he knows better than everyone.

I'm not deleting or editing his ebay id. I don't know his name so it does not really matter.

Here is the conversation:

88letty88

How is it Ebay let's you sell fake posters here? Clearly this is not an original. The one you have is a restrike. It's a felony what you are doing. I suggest you pull this poster because if I see it again, I will report you to the district attorney's office here in Los Angeles for selling fraudulent memorabilia.

cinemasterpieces:

You are wrong. It is absolutely 100% authentic and so is the other one you emailed us about. Try going after the people who are selling bootlegs as originals. They are all over ebay. Good luck. Check out our articles page at cinemasterpieces.com and our guides here on ebay where we discuss the bootlegs/restrikes in detail. Who are you?

88letty88

The print is wrong, it has missing text, and the folds are incorrect. It's 100% a re strike print. Sending this communication to the District Attorney's office with evidence of fraud. The poster is a restrike and you are criminally liable. Just because you are reselling a restrike, doesn't make it legal. I would contact your lawyer if I were you. No further contact will be made from this venue. Expect contact from eBay as we are filing legal notice with eBay.

cinemasterpieces:

You almost had me there matt. Is it true that you are a transexual? I'm sure you are stunning now. Tell the district attorney I said hey.

(I thought my friend Matt was messing with me, oops!)

88letty88

I guess Arizona is a nice place to hide while selling fake merchandise online. I'm sure the penalties in AZ are just as strict as in California. Reported to ebay.

cinemasterpieces:

Ha! so much for your statement "no further contact will be made from this venue". And who is hiding? That would be you, scared little man hiding behind a barely used anonymous ebay id with no name, no phone number, and no address. I'm completely reachable by phone, email, and in person at our office. You can try to harass me, but I find it amusing. You know as well as I do that we are one of the most respected dealers of vintage original movie posters in the world. We do not pass of fakes as originals. Never have, never will. I understand your frustration, jealousy, and hatred because we can sell the same posters you try to sell for much more than you can. People trust us because of our honesty and integrity. You should try it. I'm done feeding the troll.

88letty88

style A funky test??? LOL get real. tri fold??? Who are you kidding??? There is missing text noting the style. This is not an original theatrical released poster. It's a re strike. That's all it is. I worked in distribution for years and I know fakes when I see them on the spot. You are selling a fake. You know it and I know it. When the DA knows it too you'll be hearing from their office. You're nothing but an online thief. Instead of using a gun to rob people, you use a printer and a computer.

cinemasterpieces:
Now I just feel sorry for you because you are seriously uninformed and I believe you think the stupid things you are saying are true. Here is some more food for you troll. Learn something.

The Star Wars style A one sheet was printed at least four different times back in 1977. This is an undisputed fact. There are subtle differences between all the printings. The "funky text" style is one of those printings.

Here is just one sold by Heritage. They have sold it several times over the years.

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/star-wars-20th-century-fox-1977-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-a-science-fiction/a/161549-51415.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515.

And here are TWENTY ONE of them that have been sold by emovieposter over the years.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/searchfield/title/search/STAR%2520WARS/mode/2/type/1sh/style/style%2520A/style/fourth%2520printing/archive.html

Learn something before you go out again and start spouting nonsense. Read our articles.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/cinearticles.htm

88letty88

What does your fake poster have to do with another company's auction? Oh, if somebody else is selling fakes, then it's ok for you to do as well?  Your specific poster is a fake.  It's a re strike. It was never used in any theatrical distribution (which is what the term 'original' implies.) and was never displayed in any theater. The age of the poster can not legally be verified. You got ripped off when you bought it and are now trying to rip off a unsuspecting buyer?  How do you live with yourself?  What a scam.

cinemasterpieces:
ha! so now you think emovieposter, Heritage, CineMasterpieces, and all the other major professional dealers and auction houses who have sold this "funky text" style one sheet as original are wrong and you are right.

That makes total sense.

Go to the allposter.com message boards and ask all the long time collectors there if it is a real original theatrically issued one sheet. I dare you.

Contact Steve Sansweet and/or Pete Vilmur at Lucasfilm and ask them. If you don't know who they are, they wrote The Star Wars Poster Book for Lucasfilm in 2005. I dare you.

I'm sure you won't do either of these things because you have already dug your hole too deep and now there is no escape for you. I'm sure no matter how much indisputable evidence is given to you, you will still stick to your guns and not give in. And I'm sure you are too scared to give up your anonymity. Brilliant.

I'll bet you can't get even ONE other person on this planet to agree with you. Not one. If by chance a miracle occurs and you do find someone as misinformed as yourself please give them my number as I'd love to hear from them. Nothing amuses me more than gross stupidity.

Have a nice life.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: CineMasterpieces Conversations
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
Hahahahahaha... hilarious.  What a nutcase.  The DA bullshit is the best.  Some people are really born with half a brain.  And btw, Dave, you must have a lot of time on your hands to even engage with the idiots of the world.  I would have let it go after his 2nd answer.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »
yeah, usually I'm way too busy to deal with this nonsense but the summertime is usually slow so what the hell, why not have some fun.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »
I hear you.  It amazes me that you managed to remain courteous through the entire exchange.  I could not do it.  Did he ever come back to you after your last post?  What can you even say to that?  It's all there.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »

no not yet.

If he responds I'll post it here.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
I reported you to the Lollipop Guild. YOu won't be able to sell n Munchkinland anymore...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:45:19 AM »
Good one Dave, I do love to troll a troll!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »
Now, That's Entertainment!
Well done, Dave.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »
That's classic!

Please say you have more?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »
Here is another conversation we had yesterday with one of our clients.

Our client used to work for ILM and he worked on all the original Star Wars films. Now, most of us have heard the story about how George Lucas changed the name from RETURN OF THE JEDI to REVENGE OF THE JEDI because Jedi's do not take revenge. And that's pretty much it. I've never heard any details about this story, until now. Back when they were filming RETURN OF THE JEDI several members of the cast and crew including George Lucas, Anothony Daniels, our client, and several others were flying on a private plane to Death Valley to shoot some of the Jabba the Hut scenes. Our client says he remembers a conversation was started about the film's title by someone named Howard. He suggested that Jedi's don't take revenge, and then everyone else started chiming in saying "yeah George...Jedi's don't take revenge!" and they all ganged up on George and harassed him until he finally saw the light.

I know it doesn't add a whole lot to the story, but I found it fascinating to hear it from someone who was actually there.

Dave

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Howard Kazanjian is the producer of the movie and I had heard the exact same story from someone who worked on Jedi (maybe your client ;)), which goes to corroborate that Lucas is a gigantic hack.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
................ the story about how George Lucas changed the name from RETURN OF THE JEDI to REVENGE OF THE JEDI because Jedi's do not take revenge. .............

Wasn't it the other way round?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »
oops  :-[

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
Not a conversation this time but some interesting statistics.

We just finished our latest NO RESERVE auctions all starting at $1.00 and again there were some surprising results.

Revenge of the Jedi 1sh C7-C8 rolled but damaged $1525.00

Return of the Jedi 1985 re release folded 1sh C9 $430.00

Empire Strikes Back style A folded 1sh C9  $810.00

Blade Runner 1sh folded C9 $760.00 - although I believe this will probably be a non paying bidder (a jealous wannabe dealer with a fake ebay id with too much time on his hands - I know who it is)

...and several others that did quite well.

We also ran a facebook ad again as an experiment. Total budget was $360.00 for 9 days.

The ad showed a picture of The Empire Strikes Back style A one sheet we were auctioning. By reading all the comments you can see that people really love this image.

The ad appeared in over 320,000 different peoples facebook feeds. So that is about one tenth of a penny per view.

The ad was targeted to people in the U.S. only, movie lovers and sci fi lovers, men and women 18 to 65+.

over 600 people shared it.
over 12000 people Liked it.
17 people did NOT like the ad and asked to HIDE it.
about 8400 people clicked on it, 89% were men and 11% were women.
over 200 people commented on it.
our page received over 350 additional Likes while the ad was running. Normally we get just a few every week.

Even with all this information it is impossible to say for certain if the ad was worth running. Did it enhance our auction results by bringing in new bidders? Probably a little bit. Not sure if we'll do it again next time but we probably will.

Dave

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Dave. I love reading stuff like that. The number of likes and shares of the ad is impressive!

Is the ad cost a flat fee? Or does the cost increase if you get more clicks?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
It is not like google where you pay per click. You set your budget and let it run. I had no idea that so many people would view it.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think the way it works is the more people that react to an ad (like, comment, or share) the more people it is shown to. I would bet that if we put up a less appealing poster image we would have received far less interaction and views.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
It is not like google where you pay per click. You set your budget and let it run. I had no idea that so many people would view it.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think the way it works is the more people that react to an ad (like, comment, or share) the more people it is shown to. I would bet that if we put up a less appealing poster image we would have received far less interaction and views.

I saw it several times.  Kirby has been running one too with a Love is Better Than Ever Poster...  They show up - I am guessing based on pages you like etc...

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
You hit the nail on the head, Dave.

The reaction from Facebook is going to come down to which poster (image) is chosen. The more interesting and mass appealing it is, the greater odds for shares and likes to bump up the impressions and lower the cost per impression.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
Above average returns on a lot on key items?  12,000 likes?  8,400 clicks?  Looks to me like it was totally worth it.  Also think of the value-added in future auctions or other posters being sold on the main site.  Good for you!

ps. I don't work for FB!

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing, Dave., interesting for sure. I'd bet it had a huge impact on your auctions with that kind of click through.

In another life I was a wedding photographer and experimented with Facebook ads. I was always pleased with the adds, and ended up with many jobs from it. It was interesting to see which of my images favored best, and with which demographics per specific image... as it was with your stats.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
Thanks for posting that info, Dave.
And, congratulations on such successful auction results!
 clap clap clap clap

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
I didn't see the poster.  Didn't even know you had a sale :(  Although I don't talk about posters on my Facebook page.  Very few of my friends know that I collect posters.  I talk about posters here.  Is that why I didn't see it?

My next question is, did the FB image bring new clientele?  Names you've never seen before?

And grats on the sale.

T
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:27:26 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 10:21:04 PM »
thanks everyone.

Are you in the USA? The ad was targeted to those in the US. If you are here then I have no idea why you did not see it. Maybe if I set a higher budget more people including you may have seen it. But I'm not complaining because more than 320,000 views is a lot.

Every time we run our auctions there are always several new buyers we have never seen before. I'm sure facebook brought us at least a few but I'm not going to ask people "hey, did you see our ad on facebook?"

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »
Yes, I'm in California.  And I'm on FB 50 times a day.  No kidding, I live and breathe FB.  But again, if it was aimed at people who even remotely talk about posters on FB, it isn't me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »
Interesting numbers there Dave.

I know nothing of FB, much less the advertising possibilities, so was fascinating to see the click through etc.