Author Topic: Why So Serious Vinyl Banner  (Read 2350 times)

TheDude

Why So Serious Vinyl Banner
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:01:12 AM »
Hi Guys

I was interested in this banner currently in the HA signature auction but it raises several red flags. The colour saturation is very jacked up, the bat signal, text and detail in the gloves is very fuzzy and the size is odd (smaller than I would expect of a vinyl banner which is consistent with many of the commercial knock-offs). Any opinions on whether it is real?

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/action/the-dark-knight-warner-brothers-2008-vinyl-banner-355-x-54-ss-joker-style-action/a/161628-52097.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Thanks in advance

Jake

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Why So Serious Vinyl Banner
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
Color "jack up" (aka "color boosting") has been a long running discussion and debate, here, Jake.

-Jeff

TheDude

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »
Color "jack up" (aka "color boosting") has been a long running discussion and debate, here, Jake.

Is it something you would expect to see in a low quality commercial poster?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »
Jake, just meaning that there has been discussion of this topic before, regardless if the poster is a some commercial poster or is an uber-rare stone litho from the 1920s.

This thread offered various points of view on the specific topic:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3890.0.html

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:35:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 06:04:32 AM »
Is it something you would expect to see in a low quality commercial poster?

The auction house jacks up the colour to make it look more appealing.

Like supermarkets shine a coloured light on the tomatoes to make them look more appealing, and women use make up to hide the fold lines...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »
and women use make up to hide the fold lines...

And age spots, fungus, bad art

TheDude

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »
The auction house jacks up the colour to make it look more appealing.

Like supermarkets shine a coloured light on the tomatoes to make them look more appealing, and women use make up to hide the fold lines...

Ahk, I just wonder as their other "so serious" posters do not have similar greys and I have purchased comics from HA before and never experienced what I would call manipulated scans.

If we place the colour saturation to one side for a moment do the size and clarity of the printing raise red flags for anyone else?

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
The vinyl banners legit or not have a wide range of clarity in printing so tough to tell. The only thing I find interesting is that the cropping on this vinyl matches the bootleg one sheets. But who knows maybe back in the day they used the digital art from the vinyl banner to make the bootlegs?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
The vinyl banners legit or not have a wide range of clarity in printing so tough to tell. The only thing I find interesting is that the cropping on this vinyl matches the bootleg one sheets. But who knows maybe back in the day they used the digital art from the vinyl banner to make the bootlegs?

Ding ding ding... Winnar!