Author Topic: Royal Mail  (Read 111197 times)

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
Re: Royal Mail
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
just a thought regarding the finding sturdy poster tubes. i get mine from my local cinema. they just put them in a skip & once in a while they take pity & throw a few posters in with the bundle!
im a "green" poster collector & i save money at the same time! Result!

Postertrader

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
The tubes used to mail the posters to the cinemas in the UK are often not that sturdy and one of the main reasons so many posters bought from cinema employees selling on Ebay in the uk dont survive the Royal Mail.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
Royal Mail, dont usually deliver the majority of posters to UK Cinemas,its more likely to be DHL.
I can count the number of damaged tubes on one hand in the 23 years ive worked in the cinema industry.
It does seem to change though when it is private sellers who use Royal Mail.

Stew

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
Has anyone ever had a tube not arrive at all (never mind damaged)? I'm waiting on one that was sent mid-December via USPS first class mail and I'm starting to get a bit worried. I know that there are still delays because of the snowfall before Xmas, but I'm wondering if it's been too long now? I can't track it since first class mail doesn't have that service.

It'll be the first tube that I've had go missing in 15 years. :(
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
Ed,i know your worry,,this years snow has knocked mail deliveries off by a fortnight or so.
For example a poster i was waiting from Nottingham to Scotland took 3 weeks to arrive,delivery was promised in 6 to 8 working days.
I`ve not had a delivery from the US but i have sent the other way and it usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.
So i would give it another week or so..
My tuppence worth..

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
I have had everything that I was waiting for, from the U.S; Southern Ireland, and the U.K. I think it may be worse in Scotland where Stew is, but I live in the North east and everything is running fine now. I'm not sure where you are Ed, but I would say everything from Geordie land down should be fine now.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
P.S. If you have only had One go missing in 15 years in the U.K. that must be some record!!

I would email the seller as I waited 3 months for one of mine, because the seller sent it by ship. Which can be 6-10 weeks...   

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
Thanks chaps. I have found that, even when there's not snow and Xmas to contend with, USPS first class mail can take anything from 8 days to three weeks. It's over three weeks now, but there's definitely a backlog to be cleared and I'm hoping it's in that.

I've been lucky with tubes I guess, though a lot of the stuff I buy from the US and Japan is sent either priority or EMS so there's tracking etc.

How many have you lost over the years Paul?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »
I've lost 3 in the last 5 years. One was a lot of about 30 original Universal frankenstein series stills. That one really annoys me still, after all this time.

Over the years it must be around 10/12 fortunately they were only cheap one's, except for the stills. We have with out any doubt the worst postal service in the world. The "Royal" should be removed from their name, it should be just "Mail" with the caption "if your lucky". 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
I dont think "by boat" is even an option anymore from USPS is it?

I had a tube take 3 months to get to Mexico, that was the longest I know of that I have shipped. As to disappearing tubes, maybe 1 in 200 and always overseas somewhere.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »
It turns out that the tube was returned to sender as they'd forgotten to fill in some details on the customs form. Apparently the tube had been opened  :o

Luckily, it appears only one of the posters was slightly damaged and the seller had a replacement for it. I can only imagine the damage that could be done by careless postal workers!  :-X :-X

The seller is sending them again, upgraded to Priority to say sorry. My lucky record continues (hopefully)...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
This is what I fear most about customs - the fees/duties/taxes etc are one thing but every time I have had a package stopped in customs they tear it open ruthlessly and 9/10 times cause damage to the contents. 

And do you think they would even consider repairing the package after they finally release it so it travel another 3 days without a tube end cap?!  Of course not!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
Oh well, it was too good to last. I think it's nearly 10 weeks with out incident from the U.K. postal chaps, which must be some sort of record, but they are back.

What you cannot see also is the package has been wet at some point.... I think this is part of their new piss the poster collector off initiative. The last one, a tube they left out in the snow resting against the wall. The end that was in the snow was 3" deep in it!! Snow,.... it's dry Water, how will that make a poster wet!! eyeroll

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
Paul, it's ripped open yes which is scary - but it looks like the contents survived unscathed?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Yes, Luckily Chris. There was just a tiny bit of wrinkling along 8" of the edge of the poster, that flattened out fine. The seller did a most reasonable job of packing, plenty of cardboard. Jollyfine fellow. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
Yes, Luckily Chris. There was just a tiny bit of wrinkling along 8" of the edge of the poster, that flattened out fine. The seller did a most reasonable job of packing, plenty of cardboard. Jollyfine fellow. 

Glad to hear it.  Saved by a seller (for once!)
Chris

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
Paul,

I tend to find the Royal Mail round mine are OK - touch wood.
What I have problems with is the packaging!!

I once received a framed poster and my local postman's fist words to me when he delivered it were 'Everyone back at the sorting office cannot believe this survived' ... The frame was wrapped in one very thin layer of bubble wrap. That's it. Nothing else. Address stuck on with a post label.

What gets to me is when someone says they are a proper collector - they then send you something and all they've done is bung the item in a tube or packet.

How do you find packaging, Paul?
And the same question to everyone else too.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
I just received a package via Royal Mail, and, echoing what Adam said-- "knock on wood" -- it arrived in one piece, with no tears, rips or holes. It was delivered in a timely fashion, as well. It was mailed from the Yorkshire area on 2/21/11 and arrived here in Los Angeles, on 2/28/11.  happy1

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
That's not a bad delivery time, Jeff.
From the stories I have personally heard, sending or receiving items through the Royal Mail via uninsured means is the killer, unless the packaging is robust enough, which is why I always send items insured and request items to be sent to me insured.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »
ive been relatively lucky re. "damaged tubes" since i decided to get to know/bribe the local postie & the guys in the sorting office after a series of crushed tubes arrived at my door step. A crate of beer for Xmas over a year ago seems to have done the job & they received another 1 last Xmas & so far no problem.
i also instruct ebay sellers on how to post the poster & explain, very politely, that they will be receiving the item back & be issuing me a full refund if they dont & the poster is subsequently damaged as a result. once i even sent a tube to a seller with a old poster inside to show the idiot how to do it properly since he couldnt "grasp it".
"Carrot & stick" - the perfect combination!

the chip guy

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
once i even sent a tube to a seller with a old poster inside to show the idiot how to do it properly since he couldnt "grasp it".

Getting a tube sent to you is the ultimate insult. :o I'm glad it hasn't happend to me yet.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
ive been relatively lucky re. "damaged tubes" since i decided to get to know/bribe the local postie & the guys in the sorting office after a series of crushed tubes arrived at my door step. A crate of beer for Xmas over a year ago seems to have done the job & they received another 1 last Xmas & so far no problem.

It's a shame the guys couldn't be more careful in the first place - it's their job after-all!
The postman I know is a great guy, but he even says this sort of thing goes on - a few of his colleagues are complete wasters and don't give a damn. The stories I've heard of London posties are truly terrible.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
i had a tube of 10 x moon quads double tubed in something like 8mm tubes, turn up with a massive crushed end, must have been run over by the lorry or something.. then again i had a someone send me a rolled back to the future 2 quad rolled in rapping paper (No Tube) & it turned up perfect..

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
i had a someone send me a rolled back to the future 2 quad rolled in rapping paper (No Tube) & it turned up perfect..

You serious, Jonny!?
That's crazy!!!!!
You have to be one of the luckiest buyers ever for that to have survived! Lol!

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
You serious, Jonny!?
That's crazy!!!!!
You have to be one of the luckiest buyers ever for that to have survived! Lol!

Best,
Adam

straight up mate, was fuming & relieved all at once....