Author Topic: 4k Projectors...  (Read 18828 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
4k Projectors...
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »
So, still considering a 4k projector with 3D.

I'm really happy wIth my Full HD one, but crave that 3D set up, which seems a waste of time without going 4k.

Anyone gone the whole hog yet?  which projector did you go for?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: 4k Projectors...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »
Only one I know of that has both is the Sony.  I'm not ready to spend $10k for a projector upgrade, especially since it would also require another $3k in audio and player upgrades.

I'm just a poor engineer.
-Jay-

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
720p for me! I don't want to see a better resolution in person because I feel I will cave and "have to have it."

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
Cost is the thing stopping me at the moment, but they are coming down in price..

I was hoping to get away without buying another Amp, the one I have is first rate. May need to look a bit deeper into it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »
To much coin for me at this point as well. Once the tech expands to other makers the pricing will obviously fall. Sony is just exploiting the market right now.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:36:42 AM »
Have you checked into how close you need to sit to the screen for your eyeballs to effectively resolve 4k vs. 1080p?  And, if you then sit that close to the screen, how much of that screen is actually within your field of view? 
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
Have you checked into how close you need to sit to the screen for your eyeballs to effectively resolve 4k vs. 1080p?  And, if you then sit that close to the screen, how much of that screen is actually within your field of view?

You have a point.  I sit 11' to eyeballs from a 120" screen at 1080P.  At that distance, the screen pretty much fills my field of vision. According to this chart, that configuration gives full 1080P effect, but 4k is just starting to have an effect.  I'd need to sit about 8' from the screen to see full effect, and I suspect that would be uncomfortable.

-Jay-

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
Well, I upgraded my projector to an Epson 5050 this week.  But, not because of 4k (its actually fauxK).  The blacks on my old LG were going, and a new bulb didn't help, and there isn't a ton left out there that isn't 4k-ish.  I don's have a 4k source and per the below I don't think it makes sense to sit 9 feet from the screen!

That said, the 1080p picture is pretty outstanding out of the box, and even better with some calibration.  But man, the thing puts off some heat.  Its probably not far off from hair dryer heat production.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery