Author Topic: Acceptable shipping times: What is the consensus?  (Read 12451 times)

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
Acceptable shipping times: What is the consensus?
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
What is the consensus here about shipping times? That is, someone lists a poster for sale, you pay for it. How many days before it ships out is considered acceptable?

I ask because I've had three sub-par, slow-as-molasses shipping experiences in a row, from three different sellers. I've never had this problem before. All of them are supposedly reputable and two are mentioned on the "good guys" lists here.

My thoughts: As a small business owner, if I list something for sale and I get the person's money, I ship the item the next business day. No exceptions. That's just how it's done. One doesn't keep the item AND the person's money. If I have the time to photo and list the item, you better be damn sure I have time to ship it out the next day.

It seems that some in the poster world operate on a far different—how shall I say it nicely, much more laid back—schedule. I'm talking 14 days after funds cleared... nothing... that deal is still pending. 42 days for an order before that... before it even shipped. 55 days on the one before that. WTF.

When I pay EMP, my posters arrive within 3-5 days. No matter what.

My personal "avoid this person" list grows. Pretty soon I'll have to buy everything from Bruce.

Mirosae

Re: Acceptable shipping times: What is the consensus?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
 nice.thread

Hi JCM, agree EMP is quick. I  would expect shipping the  day after payment or within a week at the latest. However  I have had disappointing  shipping experiences with other large auction houses such as HA which is notoriously slow.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »
When buying on Ebay, a week for domestic, 2-3 weeks for international.

On Emovie, Bruce ships when he fells like it.  Every month or so. 

On HA, whenever they have enough to ship.  I'm trying to save money on shipping.  They still haven't shipped my March signature winnings.  That's okay, whether it's in their flat files or mine doesn't make a difference.  The last time, it took 6 months for my winnings to get to me.

T
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:45:04 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
I really admire your approach T .  Waiting 6 months for a poster sounds like my kind of hell. But I  appreciate that some people are more chillaxed than others.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
When buying on Ebay, a week for domestic, 2-3 weeks for international.

On Emovie, Bruce ships when he fells like it.  Every month or so. 

On HA, whenever they have enough to ship.  I'm trying to save money on shipping.  They still haven't shipped my March signature winnings.  That's okay, whether it's in their flat files or mine doesn't make a difference.  The last time, it took 6 months for my winnings to get to me.

T

It's always good to look at and note the specified handling time that is designated by sellers after receiving cleared payment. Some may be 2-3 days, while others have extended time frames. Ive seen some sellers state that they might not ship for 10 days+ after getting paid. 

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
I really admire your approach T .  Waiting 6 months for a poster sounds like my kind of hell. But I  appreciate that some people are more chillaxed than others.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't mind spending thousands on a poster, but I'm really cheap when it comes to shipping.  Once I bought it, I know I own it and I know it will come, at some point.  The thing is, as much as I trust Emovie and HA, I DO NOT TRUST Ebay people in general.  There are a few exceptions, sellers who know me and don't mind waiting to be paid until they have 10-15 posters put aside.  So it can be months before I receive something I bought on Ebay, but it's my choice.

And like I said, since I don't display my posters, it really doesn't matter where they are.

T
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:01:47 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »
It's always good to look at and note the specified handling time that is designated by sellers after receiving cleared payment. Some may be 2-3 days, while others have extended time frames. Ive seen some sellers state that they might not ship for 10 days+ after getting paid.

1 week domestic and 3 weeks intl. works fine for me.  I don't expect people to ship as soon as I pay.  We all have lives to live.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »
Exactly. Its more the idea for folks that might automatically assume that shipping will happen within just a couple days of sending their payment, when it could be longer, as specified by the seller in their initial ebay listing.

-Jeff

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
1 week domestic and 3 weeks intl. works fine for me.  I don't expect people to ship as soon as I pay.  We all have lives to live.

I think this is pretty reasonable; I'd be fine with this.

My current pending deal is at 14 days after payment cleared. Very small order, domestic, (very large) dealer, still not shipped yet.

The deal before that, the dealer was happy to take my money before going on a "last minute trip" about a week after I paid. The posters shipped over 40 days later. This guy went to Mt. Doom and back.

The one before that was international (U.K.), another dealer, and it took over 60 days after I paid, before it even shipped. This was an in-stock item. No time in two months, almost the full winter, to take a break from life. Busy dude, yeah? (But not busy enough to instantly respond to my query and send me that Paypal invoice when I ordered!)

Nothing like a making a customer feel appreciated.

Again, my shitlist is long.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »
I'm sorry Jim. I actually didn't realize I hadn't shipped your order
as a note, my site does mention it's 7-14 days to ship, largely because I am a one-man situation over here (except for when I have a large auction, I have shipping help, for one day about a week after the auction ends)

but that does make me 15 days today. oops
sorry about that. I'll get it out tomorrow

Doh.gif

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Rich is one of those sellers you can trust 110%.  I could wait a long time and never worry.  I get it, the guy's busy.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
Rich is one of those sellers you can trust 110%.  I could wait a long time and never worry.  I get it, the guy's busy.

T

that's only a part & it still should go out sooner.. but we're trying to get the software right (for auctions), populate the site (what a load of work), I have this autographs collection I have to deal with (5000 pieces and the estate still gets a % of the action, so I'm contractually obligated to deal with it fast), I have the rolled posters I got in Dec (still working on them), the lobby cards (4 different deals), I have to deal with the warehouse (this place has more material I can deal with. I need to get rid of some bulk), I'm still just a one-man-army and dammit, I'm almost 60 freakin years old.

but it should still go out sooner
 ;D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
oh jeez.. I just looked at the site.. shipping policies has been removed during the creation of the new site, so it doesn't even tell you anymore.. Guess I also need to fix that

-------

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »

When I pay EMP, my posters arrive within 3-5 days. No matter what. Pretty soon I'll have to buy everything from Bruce.

Thanks much. This is why we don't have to run any paid ads, except for a very few for old friends!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »

T

+ 1

I received  mine  from Rich on a record time.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
Rich is still pay and holding some posters I bought back in mid 2014 until I give the go ahead to ship. No worries here with me either!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
Rich is still pay and holding some posters I bought back in mid 2014 until I give the go ahead to ship. No worries here with me either!

I'm about to start messaging people who have stuff on the hold shelf to ask if/when they want shipping

I have one guy, who spent about 15k (including on really nice stuff) starting in 2012 and has never had me ship anything to him yet.
THAT is patience!

-------

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
but that does make me 15 days today. oops
sorry about that. I'll get it out tomorrow

Not worried at all, Rich.

Again, I was more just wondering about the group consensus.

It looks like, from those who responded, I'm in the minority who want product ASAP after ordering. Understandable.

I guess half the fun for me is backing, boarding and flipping through what I might display for the next few weeks in the frames.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »
Not worried at all, Rich.

Again, I was more just wondering about the group consensus.

It looks like, from those who responded, I'm in the minority who want product ASAP after ordering. Understandable.

I guess half the fun for me is backing, boarding and flipping through what I might display for the next few weeks in the frames.

yeah I'm not so sure that is the general consensus, but because people know me, know I have no help to speak of (anymore) and know I'm not going to rip them off, they aren't worried. I DO understand the bit about instant gratification and while immediate shipping was never the deal for anyone except big business before fleaBay days, fleaBay and Amazon have changed that considerably.

I do need to add the shipping procedures info back onto the shipping page and hopefully, we'll be final testing of the new auction plugin this weekend so I can start that next auction (no, it's not visible yet)

-------