Author Topic: A Happy USPS Arrival Story  (Read 5644 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
A Happy USPS Arrival Story
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:27 AM »
So many times, we all relay and read the horror stories of poster tubes and parcels that have been improperly packaged and then totally manhandled by the USPS system, resulting in damage and/or loss. Never fun and always crushing to know that what will be revealed inside a parcel might not be good.

But yesterday, I had rolled poster arrive and the seller not only did a phenomenal job in packaging, but the mailing cost (meaning the actual mailing cost) could not be beat and showed me, too, what the true cost is, to receive something mailed & received here in the US, at least.

The poster was sent rolled and packaged in a Yazoo Mills gorilla tube with plastic end caps, and sealed with clear packing tape. The poster was rolled in brown kraft paper that was cut larger than the poster, to insure no edge crimping or getting dinged during its travel.  clap

And then the icing on the cake (as the seller included the receipt when he printed the label) was the mailing cost. This tube weighed 1 pound 3 oz.
It had to be sent Priority because it exceeded 13 oz, so no First Class option.  I paid $7.25 USD (the actual cost on the receipt was $6.62, so the seller added a whole 40 cents).

Not only a great deal but what it actually showed me what the true shipping costs are, mailing within the US, vs those that grossly & excessively "add and pad" to the actual mailing cost.

And, as mentioned, this shipping cost included the Yazoo Mills gorilla tube.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:26:13 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
Re: A Happy USPS Arrival Story
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
Awesome, Jeff!

It's nice when things go the way you want them, or at least hope they should go.

I had a similar good experience. I ordered roughly $350 worth of posters from a dealer in South East Asia. Normally I wouldn't place such a big order with a vendor whom I've never dealt with but their site was clean, they had good reviews on facebook, and I emailed them a few times and they always replied with killer customer service, so I gave it a go. The tube took roughly a month to get to me, so I sweated the condition of it the whole time. But when it arrived, it was by far the most well packaged set of posters I've ever received, from anywhere. I couldn't have been happier... and have since ordered from them again.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
So great to read, too, Chris! Especially when a parecel is coming from so far away, and would have been handled and received a good number of bumps and likely tossed around a bit along the way. It's always a good feeling when things arrive as they should, and as described when in the hands of the seller.

And like I mentioned, too (at least when shipping within the US), is that a 1 pound+ gorilla tube with posters inside, and mailed 2 Day Priority, is NOT that expensive to mail. (I paid $6.62 for to my seller).

So when I see folks charging $10, 12, 15 or more dollars for similar size/weight parcels I know that there is extra "padding & pocketing" going on.

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:16:49 AM »
I've shipped some posters Priority Mail and with the cost of a good tube (generally $3 if not buying in bulk) combined with the USPS postage it typically costs around $10, but can be more or less depending on the rates to various parts of the country.  So I wouldn't be too quick to judge a seller asking $10-12 for shipping Priority Mail within the US.  Generally it seems a properly packaged poster weighs close to 2 lbs, so the 2lb rate applies.  Also, many sellers pay at the post office vs online so they pay an even higher rate.  Speaking of which, the USPS recently got rid of their online postage discount to boost revenues, so even that discount is gone now.  However, if you buy your USPS through Paypal's shipping page you still get the discount.  

Anyways, just saying that For $7 many sellers would be LOSING money on shipping Priority after cost of postage + tube.  If you're shipping 1st class mail in a skimpy tube with a package under 16oz then you could probably pull it off for $7.  

Additionally, eBay charges sellers a 10% fee on their shipping charge.  So, if an eBayer charges $10 for shipping, they really end up getting only $9.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:20:04 AM by archstanton »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:32:43 AM »
Yeah, I know that ebay charges a % (Paypal as well) and both take their cut.

I was just giving the actual cost that was on the USPS receipt, that was included in the tube sent. The seller paid that amount to mail my parcel and that's what I paid, plus approx 50-75 cents more.

And I know that certain % will be added on, so that ebay sellers dont lose $ . Makes sense.  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:40:16 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
I don't mind paying $12 for shipping if it arrives and I see it has been packaged up real nice.  What irks me is when I pay that amount and receive a package shipped the cheapest way possible with corners cut to the fullest extent. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
I don't mind paying $12 for shipping if it arrives and I see it has been packaged up real nice.  What irks me is when I pay that amount and receive a package shipped the cheapest way possible with corners cut to the fullest extent. 

I got one like this too, not too long ago. I was charged and paid for First Class shipping, and when the parcel arrived, it had been sent via the Media Mail rate, costing all of $2.70. This amount was shown 'loud and clear' on the USPS printed label. But the poster was packaged solidly and arrived unscathed, so I was very happy about that.

I did email the seller and he said he was trying to save some $. When I said he had charged me more for the First Class delivery, he refunded me the difference, so it all worked out in the end.

-Jeff