Author Topic: New to the forum!  (Read 6045 times)

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
New to the forum!
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
Hey everyone! Lurked for a long time and I've read much of the great content here.

Also, I've purchased posters from many of the APF users/dealers; some many, many years ago via eBay, some much more recently.

I can't offer much knowledge, research, or history like many of you can so unfortunately I won't be much of an asset to the forum.

And I'm not really a collector in the sense many of you are but I respect those of you who fill 10-drawer flat files and rooms with stacks of tubes.  ;D

Honestly, I'm much more into movies than posters. Everything I own gets displayed in my theater and I swap them out when I feel it's time or when hosting an event.

For purchasing, I've made some rules over the years although I've done a damn fine job not following them from time to time.

Before I pull the trigger on a poster:

#1) I have to LOVE the movie. Need a solid connection.
#2) I have to really like the poster and feel it will display well.
#3) It should be original, rolled, very good/fine, non-backed. (With a few exceptions.)

Sometimes #1 is met, but not #2 or #3. Sometimes flipped around. I own plenty of movies that I'll never have a poster for simply because the posters are hideous. And there are some posters that are gorgeous but the movie is just complete trash to me.

My collection is small (by this forum's standards), eclectic, mostly post-1975 films that I grew up with.

I have a spreadsheet I put together a very long time ago and I've been acquiring posters on "the list" ever since.

Funny thing, "the list" seems to ever expand...  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: New to the forum!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
 welcome2.gif, JCM.

It sounds like you have a good collection growing and for all the important reasons that makes a poster appealing to you.

Have fun and enjoy the crowd, here. And to seeing some of the poster goodness you have picked up over the years!!  thumbsup.gif

Jeff

-Jeff

guest4805

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your collection :)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
welcome to the show that never ends

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
I'm liking the sound of your collection, 99% of us on here are film people first and art collectors second, enjoy...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
^ I feel marginalised

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 07:14:40 AM »
Welcome, welcome.

Enjoy the forum and show us your collection when you get a chance.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
Hey, WELCOME!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Before I pull the trigger on a poster:

#1) I have to LOVE the movie. Need a solid connection.
#2) I have to really like the poster and feel it will display well.
#3) It should be original, rolled, very good/fine, non-backed. (With a few exceptions.)

Those rare posters that hit all the right buttons are what it's all about!  You should check out the Unicorns thread if you haven't already.  Welcome!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
Those rare posters that hit all the right buttons are what it's all about!  You should check out the Unicorns thread if you haven't already.  Welcome!

+1. 

welcome1

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »

Harry, I love threads like that.

I was looking at the rolled Jaws that Cinemasterpieces posted for sale, and dreaming.

That's been on the list since I started. I passed on a few over the years that I thought were too pricey and I'm kicking myself now, of course. (I have an original folded copy that displays poorly, IMO.)

One day!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
Harry, I love threads like that.

I was looking at the rolled Jaws that Cinemasterpieces posted for sale, and dreaming.

That's been on the list since I started. I passed on a few over the years that I thought were too pricey and I'm kicking myself now, of course. (I have an original folded copy that displays poorly, IMO.)

One day!

I hear you... I passed on (2) different NM, rolled Jaws 1-sheets some years back when I thought $700-800 was too much.  Now NM folded copies sell at that price!  Whoops. 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
Welcome, and I agree: great criteria to define what you will collect.  I like to think I have the same criteria.  And, then somehow I end up with this:

The lesson here is "don't drink and buy".  Have fun, and we look forward to seeing your collection!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »
"Don't drink and buy."

Words to live by as I watch EMP auctions end on Thursday nights as I sip on whiskey...

Love that RoboCop 2. Return of the slammer headline.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
"Don't drink and buy."

Words to live by as I watch EMP auctions end on Thursday nights as I sip on whiskey...
this is very familiar to me right now
Cheers cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 03:48:11 AM »
Your rules are like my rules....! Welcome and enjoy the forum  :)