Author Topic: Removing Sharpie from plastic  (Read 5077 times)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Removing Sharpie from plastic
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
I'm considering buying a poster used at a Premiere that's been signed by about 8 'Stars'. It's not paper, but has a plastic quality to it. I want to remove the signatures and wondered if this would be possible?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Removing Sharpie from plastic
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
Are you thinking the signatures are fake Matt?
It's more than a Hobby...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
I have no real reason to believe either way to be honest Paul. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of signed items (unless it was signed to me personally) and I think in this case they detract from the artwork. Would you leave them be?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:50:18 AM by skyjackers »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
A lot depends on the poster, and if the signatures can be proven; But as you know I like signed stuff. I usually get stuff signed while I'm there myself, though I have bought one that was not obtained by me, but I know it's right.

Do you have a pic Matt? You have my curiosity..

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »
Can the poster not be found without the sigs?  That seems the easiest route...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
Not easily. It was only used at a Premiere in London, attached to barriers. They all got 'liberated' after the Stars had done their bit on the red carpet. This also explains where the sigs come from, so they may well be genuine.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
A lot depends on the poster, and if the signatures can be proven; But as you know I like signed stuff. I usually get stuff signed while I'm there myself, though I have bought one that was not obtained by me, but I know it's right.

Do you have a pic Matt? You have my curiosity..

It's nothing special, just that there are 3 designs and I managed to get 2 so would like it for the full house.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
Matt, are all the sigs placed, for the most part, in areas that arent too distracting to the imagery (like over someone's face, for example)?

And was the sharpie a black one? Or silver?

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
I got to say Matt, I'd leave them. I know we all like different stuff, but if they were done at the time, and they may well be one offs for the premier, leave them on.

If it's anything like the one I have from a London premier, it's actually paper pasted to plastic??

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
It's a black marker (I assume Sharpie) The signatures are quite poor because they were done in a rush (lots of people wanting autographs!) so even if they are legit, they probably don't hold up to their normal standard. Not in particularly distracting areas though.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
I got to say Matt, I'd leave them. I know we all like different stuff, but if they were done at the time, and they may well be one offs for the premier, leave them on.

If it's anything like the one I have from a London premier, it's actually paper pasted to plastic??

I know what you mean Paul but this one is definitely has a plastic surface. I don't own it yet as I'm being charged a premium for the sigs so can't quite decide...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
Seems not right paying the price and then removing them. Is there no other copies around?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
And Sharpie is quite the indelible kind of marker too, so chances are, those sigs may be there to stay.

There may be more harsh solvents that could remove them, but I'd also be worried that these same materials could damage the plastic surface or sheen of the poster, too.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:42:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »
Seems not right paying the price and then removing them. Is there no other copies around?

Not seen any as of yet so could be I need to be patient...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
Part of my job is fabricating plastic stuff, we have some amazing cleaners, but I'm not sure I'd use them on a poster. They may even rub off as that kind of ink will sit on the top of the plastic.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
Not seen any as of yet so could be I need to be patient...

If it was cheap enough, I'd just buy it Matt, keep it as is, and if/when you come across another, sell that one off.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
If it was cheap enough, I'd just buy it Matt, keep it as is, and if/when you come across another, sell that one off.
+1

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »
There is a UK ebay seller who was selling quite a few different signed West End premiere posters. The signatures will undoubtedly be genuine but having seen his offerings they are indeed unattractive. However, there will be very few of these posters around and I would not seek to remove the signatures as they capture the occasion of the premiere.

Mark