Author Topic: Weird Science  (Read 2372 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Weird Science
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »
Anyone know what this masterpiece is please? Was it a promotional poster from the film's release or just a commercial poster from later on? I don't mind either way, I'm just curious.

The poster comes in two pieces, both are 29" x 35", so when lined up and joined, it's about 29" x 69". The title is printed (not a snipe).

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Weird Science
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »
weird science = first boner

almost called an ambulance

thank god for the counsel of older brothers  thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:32:50 AM »
Oh dear God that was funny....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:42:57 AM »
Wow, Vick, I can see why. That hair is awesome  >:D

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
Haha! I'm glad the poster brought back happy memories for you, Vick!

I like the film too...I suppose it's pretty tame by today's standards but it's funny and has heart.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
Great piece and pieces there, Tob...(couldnt resist)  ;D

With the way its worded on the snipe? or is the title and wording printed on the paper?, it sure looks like it might be some kind of advance panel, wouldn't you think?

Looks to have no printers info on it either?

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »
Nice find. Never seen it before. Wish they put the title block upright and smaller. Woulda been even better.

I would think it's a promo and not commercial. Mainly, because it's two pieces. Not a lot of "piece" material in the commercial market. 

Honestly, it seems like something you'd see in a record store than a theater. They were still using promotional door panel stuff in record stores back then. Even though it was becoming less an less.

Hilarious movie...still. "Chips, dips chains and whips" :)

Sadly, a remake is in the works.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »
Thanks Jeff - yeah, the title and coming soon is printed and not a sticker...no printer info.

Thanks Anthony - I was thinking the same thing about the poster being in 2 pieces and it being unlikely that it's a commercial poster. Good info on the record store door panel posters, thanks. I think I'm going to chalk it down as some sort of promotional door panel. I'm not sure if it's US or UK either...I bought it from a UK seller, but we don't normally use 'Theatre' over here...although it is the UK spelling of the word so perhaps it is a UK poster.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
I've seen these on the UK bay for sale, and on .com, but I wouldn't like to say either way if it was US or UK. I have a few Commercial posters that came in two pieces, all from the States, so my guess would be a Commercial from the US.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 01:37:08 AM »
I've seen a few here as well, but they were usually music related promo material. Two piece material was just harder to package and sell in a store, back then.

I don't know, this could go either way I guess.

Whatever it is it's pretty cool. :)