Author Topic: UK FOH Stills 1989 Harry met Sally - are these so white and thin?  (Read 1656 times)

Mirosae

Apologies but didn't  have time to take photos. I found a full set of UK FOH, 1989 and would appreciate  some steer from you. If anyone  here collects these stills.

I am asking because these didn't have a right feel to it but I am not an expert. The  paper felt too thin and with minty white borders. The borders, particularly  top end had like very small, thin paper strands. The size was correct.  I had seen and handled several UK FOH stills, largely from the 70s and they just had a different feel (more like a printed photograph).

The seller was rather nice, but came across a bit like know-it-all BUT know nothing .  I think we all get the type.

I just wondered  if anyone here has bought anything from 80s early 90s so I could compare notes?

Thank you

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: UK FOH Stills 1989 Harry met Sally - are these so white and thin?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
Apologies but didn't  have time to take photos. I found a full set of UK FOH, 1989 and would appreciate  some steer from you. If anyone  here collects these stills.

I am asking because these didn't have a right feel to it but I am not an expert. The  paper felt too thin and with minty white borders. The borders, particularly  top end had like very small, thin paper strands. The size was correct.  I had seen and handled several UK FOH stills, largely from the 70s and they just had a different feel (more like a printed photograph).

The seller was rather nice, but came across a bit like know-it-all BUT know nothing .  I think we all get the type.

I just wondered  if anyone here has bought anything from 80s early 90s so I could compare notes?

Thank you
I don't have a specific answer for that set, but can report there was a major change in the photography industry in the late 70s.  Up to that time, photo paper was constructed with a light sensitive coating bonded to a coarse fiber paper backing.  Starting in around 1978, Kodak and others started producing papers with a polycarbonate plastic backing.  It was whiter than the paper backing, and produced whiter whites on images.  It was also thinner, but stronger than the paper it replaced.  I believe that is what you are seeing here.

The transition was gradual with the newer RC backing replacing the old paper over a period of 5ish years.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »
I wouldn't be too suspicious Rosa, the later cards are quite thin, and as Jay says very white.  If you think they maybe inkjet repros have a smell of them, but I'd doubt anyone would go to the trouble of reproducing this set. Check the backs, there won't be any info, just plain white, unless someone has stamped them.

Can I ask the seller? I may know them, which also will help.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »
If you are thinking inkjet, look at the picture edge on.  Photographic prints have the image built into the emulsion of the paper and will appear smooth.  Inkjet (and laser) will have ink (or toner) layered on top.  Looking from the edge, you can often see the buildup on a glossy paper surface.  Not so much on normal printer paper.
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »
WOW thanks so much Jay and Paul for such a helpful response. I will remember to check the pictures edge, I love learning about printing and photography so i really appreciate the education. Paul, will pm you the seller's name. You might know him....

Very many thanks.