Author Topic: Flat file drawers  (Read 97627 times)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
Re: Flat file drawers
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
what a horror story :o

I wasn't planning to leave them in there, but was curious if anyone had. I would be a nervous wreck imagining that they would tip it on its side.

- Eric

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
I left everything in the flat files and it went smoothly. 

A friend of mine came to help, I rented a U-Haul, we moved 45 drawers full of poster crap, it took the entire afternoon, we took the drawers out one after the other, put them back into their respective cases inside the truck, then out again at the new place.  Really easy. 

I bought him a nice dinner ($300 for 2 with wine, not bad).  Super cheap and effective.

Done!!!

T
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:30:07 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
what a horror story :o

I wasn't planning to leave them in there, but was curious if anyone had. I would be a nervous wreck imagining that they would tip it on its side.

Hi iojabba, I've slid the drawers out full and put the flat file empty on a moving truck.  Then, we loaded the full drawers  back into the flat file and strapped it all down. I had a wooden flat file made about 20 years ago that I really like.  Okie
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:49:29 PM by okiehawker »

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »
Finally got round to buying one of these A0 size so I can still store with my sleeves , Still haven't loaded it up yet though......

Got it from ebay, guy had it up for £200 buy it now or bid, Offered him £150 via pm and settled on £160 as I was paying for shipping which was an extra £76 by shiply.
Love it  bed1 though it do takes up some space !

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
I left everything in the flat files and it went smoothly. 

A friend of mine came to help, I rented a U-Haul, we moved 45 drawers full of poster crap, it took the entire afternoon, we took the drawers out one after the other, put them back into their respective cases inside the truck, then out again at the new place.  Really easy. 

I bought him a nice dinner ($300 for 2 with wine, not bad).  Super cheap and effective.

Done!!!

T

Bargain! Although I may be movie across the country, so it may be worth an extra bottle.
- Eric

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
Hi iojabba, I've slid the drawers out full and put the flat file empty on a moving truck.  Then, we loaded the full drawers  back into the flat file and strapped it all down. I had a wooden flat file made about 20 years ago that I really like.  Okie

That definitely sounds like an option for a short trip.
- Eric

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
Bargain! Although I may be movie across the country, so it may be worth an extra bottle.

As long as you get to drink it too, make that two and enjoy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
That's a given
- Eric

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
How many flat files are you taking across country?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
only one with 5 drawers. It's actually been converted into a large coffee table. Pretty sure I'm going to pull everything out and sandwich the paper between acrylic or MDF for the move.
- Eric

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2021, 01:30:00 AM »
Old thread, but  figured I would weigh in on the moving of flat files specifically full-ish ones.  First of all, I would NOT trust movers to move a flat file with any poster in it.  But when I moved to OK from CA, I had a U-Haul trailer.  I custom cut foam core "lids" for each drawer.  After putting one of those on top, I then shoved pool noodles in there to keep everything tight and prevent sliding around.  A couple of drawers were full enough that I used half pool noodles.  I put one on each side edge front to back, 2 supporting between those running front to back, and one in the front runing side to side.  I also ran shrink wrap around the whole thing to keep the drawers from trying to slide open.  The whole setup cost me about $15 bucks and it worked perfectly.  No sliding, no damage. 

I actually still use the foam core lids to prevent any damage from opening/closing, and it especially helps for being able to store a rolled poster until it is sufficiently flattened.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
Good idea on the foam core lids, Schan.  I'm going to do that if I move again. Okie

Old thread, but  figured I would weigh in on the moving of flat files specifically full-ish ones.  First of all, I would NOT trust movers to move a flat file with any poster in it.  But when I moved to OK from CA, I had a U-Haul trailer.  I custom cut foam core "lids" for each drawer.  After putting one of those on top, I then shoved pool noodles in there to keep everything tight and prevent sliding around.  A couple of drawers were full enough that I used half pool noodles.  I put one on each side edge front to back, 2 supporting between those running front to back, and one in the front runing side to side.  I also ran shrink wrap around the whole thing to keep the drawers from trying to slide open.  The whole setup cost me about $15 bucks and it worked perfectly.  No sliding, no damage. 

I actually still use the foam core lids to prevent any damage from opening/closing, and it especially helps for being able to store a rolled poster until it is sufficiently flattened.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »
A couple of drawers were full enough that I used half pool noodles.  I put one on each side edge front to back, 2 supporting between those running front to back, and one in the front runing side to side.

This is good stuff.  A little late for me, but I wish I had thought of it.  I moved 45 drawers full of posters 2 years ago and spent a couple of months (a little bit here and there) realigning everything.  Now, I like everything perfectly aligned, so it probably took me longer than it should, but that little trick from Schan would have helped a lot.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »

I had the same concerns. I took all the drawers out and stacked them. Had the movers setup the bases and then I moved posters for about a week and finally brought the drawers. Still haven’t recovered from that. Just ended throwing them in whatever drawer.

I had mine in sleeves, so one problem was they kept sliding around when I made any attempt. I could see if it was paper on paper but once the poly start slipping - it’s gone. I dropped a stack in one attempt.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2021, 01:28:24 AM »
Charlie, I'm wondering if it's less painful for you to drop the stack or the movers?  What a haunting moment for a collector!  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2021, 04:02:27 AM »
This picture was posted a few years ago.

My setup has changed quite a bit.  I moved a few flat files to a climate controlled storage facility (along w a few other things of value) and filled them w my most expensive stuff.  Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.  Then I had to buy a few more flat files to replace the ones that I moved.

I think I will probably do a yearly visit to the storage place (or maybe every other year), add whatever I care about to the flat file there and keep the cheaper stuff at home.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
Nice looking stacks, T!  How many file drawers do you have for your collection?   If there's a coveted no-prize (like Marvel Comics awarded in the old days) for guessing closest to the number, my guess is 101.  Best, Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2021, 01:03:19 PM »
That's an old picture, Okie, but I think 60?  101 would be difficult since they come in 5s :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2021, 01:23:29 PM »

Hi T, I wasn't even close as I was thinking each individual drawer.  That means you are around 300 individual drawers at 5 drawers x 60 stacks.  Boy, was I way off or what?!  Okie
That's an old picture, Okie, but I think 60?  101 would be difficult since they come in 5s :)

T

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2021, 01:32:25 PM »
Hahaha No, 60 drawers, Okie.

T
My Personal Collection