Author Topic: Flat file drawers  (Read 98356 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Flat file drawers
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »
hello,

I don't have a flat file but it's a large archival museum box made for posters that allows you to store them flat. I have about 100 posters all on top of each other with the once rolled ones on the very bottom. I don't have any weight on top on them but, the posters at the bottom are getting the weight of the others on top. I rotate the posters position in the stack a little to try and even them out. I'm just looking for a better way to get them flat.

thanks
D

Might I suggest a piece of acrylic then? It's just as thin as foam core but considerably more dense so it should work better for flattening. And its transparent to boot  8)

Several years back I started to keep all my framing scraps to use for flattening. Mostly odds and ends but you can arrange them easily and get the folds sufficiently pressed.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
My 6 flat file cabinets are completely full.  And I mean full of Italian and French paper.  Heavy stuff.  Right now, I have them stacked up two by two, so 10 drawers x3.  I just ordered 3 new cabinets and plan on stacking them up on top on the others, so each of the 3 stacks will have 15 drawers (45 total.)

I think Dale said it was fine, but does anyone know how many cabinets of 5 drawers can be on top of each other.  Is 3 okay, even completely full?

T
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:58:16 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
My 6 flat file cabinets are completely full.  And I mean full of Italian and French paper.  Heavy stuff.  Right now, I have them stacked up two by two, so 10 drawers x3.  I just ordered 3 new cabinets and plan on stacking them up on top on the others, so each of the 3 stacks will have 15 drawers (45 total.)

I think Dale said it was fine, but does anyone know how many cabinets of 5 drawers can be on top of each other.  Is 3 okay, even completely full?

T

That's probably thousands of pounds in a very small space.  Sounds like you need to talk to a structural engineer! 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:58:45 PM by eatbrie »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
Don't forget you'll need one of these for easy access

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
15 drawers high is very accessible.  Past that, yes, I might need a crane ;)

And the total weight is fine.  It's sitting on concrete.  I'm more concerned about the bottom cabinet.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
Well, back in the day when we actually did physical engineering drawings, it was common to stack 4 high.  We would fill them, but it was generally vellum which weighs a lot less.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
Thanks Jay.

Yeah, I just called Mayline (the manufacturer) and they said 3 flat files on top of each other is fine.  Basically no more than 500 pounds per flat file.  100 pounds per drawer.  So 1,500 pounds would be the limit.  It was super heavy moving those suckers drawer by drawer a year ago, but I don't think the drawers were more than 100 pounds, even filled with French paper.

Yeah, 15 more drawers coming tomorrow!!!  That gives me a few more years worth of collecting.

woohoo

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
Thanks Jay.

Yeah, I just called Mayline (the manufacturer) and they said 3 flat files on top of each other is fine.  Basically no more than 500 pounds per flat file.  100 pounds per drawer.  So 1,500 pounds would be the limit.  It was super heavy moving those suckers drawer by drawer a year ago, but I don't think the drawers were more than 100 pounds, even filled with French paper.

Yeah, 15 more drawers coming tomorrow!!!  That gives me a few more years worth of collecting.

woohoo

T

thumbsup.gif

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
I wish I'd got the room for just one  :(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Delivered and ready to be filled :)  I'm ready to start collecting.

T
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:52:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »
Damn T - that is awesome!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »
whats up with the color scheme?  Do you sort by shades of beige? ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »
Yeah, it's a fun little set up.  You should see what's on the other side.  Tubes galore.  All perfectly organized because that's the only way I know how to collect.  I calculated that my current setup allows me to store about 25,000 posters :). So I'm not quite done yet.  Hahaha... so sick.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
whats up with the color scheme?  Do you sort by shades of beige? ;D

You know, that's actually not a bad idea.  Maybe I should organize my collection by the color of the cabinet.  Omg, I can't even deal with it.  It would take forever.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
Looks like it will be impossible to clean the insides of the windows... Yeah, less house work!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Just bought 2 more flat files.  #10 and 11.  That's 55 drawers of folded movie posters.  Rolled ones are somewhere else.

Collection is expending.

T
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:52:17 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
Wow. Impressive. That is a lot of weight.

It looks like they are on a concrete slab in your garage which should easily support the load distributed over the base flat files.

Being in CA, are you doing anything to protect the flat files from seismic events? If the earth starts a-shaking, they could potentially slide off the top of the stack. Are they affixed or anchored to any structure or tethered?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
Yeah, I moved since that picture was taken.  They are still on concrete though. 

And no, I haven't done anything re: earthquakes.  To be honest, I have been living in Southern Cal since college, some 20+ years, and I have yet to experience anything of consequence.  Not saying it won't happen, but it is so seldom. 

What I did though is remove 500 of my most pricey posters and they are now stored in a climate controlled storage facility.  Posters like Vertigo, Rear Window, Laura, etc...  I still have some quality posters at the house, but nothing that would be hard to replace.  Well, a few ;)  I'm much closer to the beach, so I was a little concerned with humidity, but it's a non issue, though.  I would be much more panicked if I was living in Florida.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2019, 04:37:14 AM »
I need some flat file drawers. I cannot find these anywhere for a good price.

EVERYWHERE i look in the UK they are £300 plus  >:(
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
I need some flat file drawers. I cannot find these anywhere for a good price.

EVERYWHERE i look in the UK they are £300 plus  >:(

For ebay UK, I had success with the term 'plan chest' as a saved search...then waited for the right one to come along. I used www.shiply.com to get mine delivered quite cheaply from a seller that was miles away. If you bide your time, you should be able to get one for less than £300

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A0-Plan-Chest-6-Drawer-Architect-Map-Poster-/183991244836?hash=item2ad6bb9824%3Ag%3Ag%7EIAAOSwPsFdoG6t&nma=true&si=R3ROzTwQ7BPrfJV03My%252Fux8Wog4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drawing-Plan-6-Drawer-Chest-A0-Used-25-years-Old-129cm-x-95cm-x-83cm-H/163935910092?hash=item262b5778cc:g:JJEAAOSwcDBdxWRF

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2019, 05:07:55 AM »
For ebay UK, I had success with the term 'plan chest' as a saved search...then waited for the right one to come along. I used www.shiply.com to get mine delivered quite cheaply from a seller that was miles away. If you bide your time, you should be able to get one for less than £300

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A0-Plan-Chest-6-Drawer-Architect-Map-Poster-/183991244836?hash=item2ad6bb9824%3Ag%3Ag%7EIAAOSwPsFdoG6t&nma=true&si=R3ROzTwQ7BPrfJV03My%252Fux8Wog4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drawing-Plan-6-Drawer-Chest-A0-Used-25-years-Old-129cm-x-95cm-x-83cm-H/163935910092?hash=item262b5778cc:g:JJEAAOSwcDBdxWRF

Tob,

How much was the shipping through shiply?

Thanks for the heads up on the search help.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:18 AM »
Tob,

How much was the shipping through shiply?

Thanks for the heads up on the search help.

Marc

I live down South and the flatfile I bought was up in the North East...it was £60 for delivery which I thought was reasonable considering the distance/size (it was an A0 ten drawer flat file). Shiply works by you posting your job, then receiving quotes from various drivers - so it can vary a bit depending on availability/distance/mainstream locations etc. If you spot a flat file you like in a far off location, perhaps get the Shiply quote first before bidding/buying it.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
I was looking for one on eBay for a couple of years, trying to get the right size, style etc. In the end I found one on Facebook marketplace. I also found that second hand office furniture shops occasionally have plan chests too.

I will agree with Tob on using Shipley. Mine was picked up from Cornwall and delivered to London for £60. Considering it weighs 175Kg I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
Yeah, I moved since that picture was taken.  They are still on concrete though. 

And no, I haven't done anything re: earthquakes.  To be honest, I have been living in Southern Cal since college, some 20+ years, and I have yet to experience anything of consequence.  Not saying it won't happen, but it is so seldom. 

What I did though is remove 500 of my most pricey posters and they are now stored in a climate controlled storage facility.  Posters like Vertigo, Rear Window, Laura, etc...  I still have some quality posters at the house, but nothing that would be hard to replace.  Well, a few ;)  I'm much closer to the beach, so I was a little concerned with humidity, but it's a non issue, though.  I would be much more panicked if I was living in Florida.

T

You said that you moved. I'm interested in how you moved your paper in the flat files. Did you leave stuff in the files during the move? I have some stored this way and will be moving (again) next summer. I honestly wish I had not put anything in the files and left everything in tubes or boxes because the thought of moving the paper our of the files is daunting.
- Eric

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
You said that you moved. I'm interested in how you moved your paper in the flat files. Did you leave stuff in the files during the move? I have some stored this way and will be moving (again) next summer. I honestly wish I had not put anything in the files and left everything in tubes or boxes because the thought of moving the paper our of the files is daunting.

DO NOT leave anything in there flat files! I had a moving company who did this (insisting they were "professionals") and it ended up in disaster; suffice to say the damages they eventually paid me went somewhere near the down payment on a new house...

Pack the posters separately or let a reputable company do it. There are special "art boxes" which can comfortable fit hundreds of posters flat, or you can simply sandwich the flat posters between large sheets of Plexiglas or plastic.