Author Topic: Selling Bond Poster Collection...  (Read 25048 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Selling Bond Poster Collection...
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi,

Just a heads up that I will be selling my main Bond poster collection in the near future, whether that be through a private sale (whole, no piecemeal sales) or through public auction.

Amongst the items in the collection are:
  • Thunderball door panel set
  • All main quads including some Marler Haley styles.
  • All main one sheets.
  • Many double crowns including some Marler Haley styles.
  • All campaign books minus first four films.
  • Lobby Card sets.
  • French, Japanese, German posters etc.
  • Plus much more.

The collection was pooled from acquiring the personal collections of famed James Bond authors and editors Lee Pfeiffer, Dave Worrall and Graham Rye, as well as several private collectors from all over the world and obviously my own individual purchases from the likes of eMoviePoster.com, Heritage Auctions, Christie's, Bonham's, eBay and so on and so forth. So as you can imagine, it is large and varied with well over 1000 unique items (still inventorying now and haven't reached the rolled items yet).

Why am I selling?
I'm not tired of the industry, or collecting in general.
I made a conscious decision a few years ago not to compete with my friend (Mr. Nixdorf) who collects the original art and therefore I've never really been able to do much else other than add bits and bobs every now and then, and that was fine. However, a while back I realised I've gone as far as I can with it (for me) and can't do much more. I've thoroughly enjoyed amassing the collection and being able to say "Yeah, I own this and that...", but I now feel the time is right to let it go as I have other ventures I wish to get involved with and so I can't give it the attention it deserves.

If you are genuinely interested, email me privately through Bondposters.com (which will be unaffected by this sale; in fact, it is undergoing a huge upgrade) and I will send a list once complete, but this will take time. If you happen to be in the UK and are serious, you can visit me and view the collection first hand.

Thanks,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: Selling Bond Poster Collection...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
Good Luck to you. :o

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »
Sorry to hear you are selling Adam. 

Should be one helluva an auction catalog!  ;D

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
Does the sale of a collection whole, as opposed to piecemeal, ever attract serious bidders that the seller would deem financially worthy?

The only people interested in a wholesale would be dealers as, already-established collectors will already have a large proportion of that which is being sold.

A dealer will only bid to a level that will afford profit and £$ for time.  A collector will have to think seriously about becoming a part time and temporary dealer.  Both considerations of which, scuppers the seller's ultimate aims.

And as for saying there is as yet no inventory, it does appear to be a mite premature to raise interest in one breath, and then to take it away in the next by saying 'we're not sure of what is actually available'.

Push to shove, I would do what Nick Firuta has done with the Heritage auction of recent late, and just demand of them to agree to auction everything, or nothing.  Which is why I think we are seeing various toys and nonsense in the poster section of Heritage's weekly Bond poster auctions.

That said, I am sure, in the very fullness of time, we will see an influx of wonderful items on the Bond poster market.

As already said, good luck.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
Adam, what kind of value do you put on your collection, as a whole? And what are you hoping to sell it for?

And just curious.. with no inventory list or database ever in place, how did you keep track, to make sure you never doubled up (or more) on poster buys?

And to echo the others-- good luck with the sale, however it plays out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:49:02 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »
Crikey, I know we had talked about it, but I never thought you would go through with it.. Good luck Adam..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the support, Matt and jedge.

Does the sale of a collection whole, as opposed to piecemeal, ever attract serious bidders that the seller would deem financially worthy?

The only people interested in a wholesale would be dealers as, already-established collectors will already have a large proportion of that which is being sold.

A dealer will only bid to a level that will afford profit and £$ for time.  A collector will have to think seriously about becoming a part time and temporary dealer.  Both considerations of which, scuppers the seller's ultimate aims.

And as for saying there is as yet no inventory, it does appear to be a mite premature to raise interest in one breath, and then to take it away in the next by saying 'we're not sure of what is actually available'.

Push to shove, I would do what Nick Firuta has done with the Heritage auction of recent late, and just demand of them to agree to auction everything, or nothing.  Which is why I think we are seeing various toys and nonsense in the poster section of Heritage's weekly Bond poster auctions.

That said, I am sure, in the very fullness of time, we will see an influx of wonderful items on the Bond poster market.

As already said, good luck.

Hi Simon,

I already have a few interested parties with the finance to fund such a purchase, who know I have sounded it out online with full support.

I categorically would not sell the collection as a whole to a dealer as I fully understand I would only achieve half it's worth; even less with some. I am a dealer, retailer and collector myself, remember. I'm not selling duplicates here either; I'm selling my main collection which makes up most of what I own, so if you are a new collector and have the finances, then it's a no brainer.

I never said there was no inventory. I also never said I (not we're) don't know what is actually available. I am inventorying the entire thing in one go - I am sure you can understand I have to be absolutely certain before I send out lists.

I have thought about the sale of the collection for a long time, so what will happen will happen.
Thanks for the support...now reply to my email from earlier in the day before this topic ha!

Adam, what kind of value do you put on your collection, as a whole? And what are you hoping to sell it for?

And just curious.. with no inventory list or database ever in place, how did you keep track, to make sure you never doubled up (or more) on poster buys?

And to echo the others-- good luck with the sale, however it plays out.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the support.
As you can appreciate, I'm not going to publicly state what I feel it is worth and what I hope to sell it for as someone will undoubtedly troll me over it (value/asking price is for private talk once the inventory is complete, unless it goes to auction!). I'm pretty sure the rumour mill on the merry-go-round here will give their views on value. I've provided an example list in the first post, so you can go from there.

You have jumped the gun as I never said there was no inventory or database in place.
I have lists of everything I have ever bought.

Cheers.

Crikey, I know we had talked about it, but I never thought you would go through with it.. Good luck Adam..

Thanks, Paul.
I told you one day I would!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:44 PM »
Trouble with such a personal collection, as this is, is you just want it to "stay together"
Years ago a bloke in the uk wanted to buy a few of my hammer daybills, I said no, then he offered to buy them all, which I did, I just had so much time invested in them, and to ME it was important.
Anyway, he couldn't afford them all in one go, so he was slowly paying off, but then he stopped and didn't want to go through with the deal, I sent him some, we agreed on ones that were worth what he had paid.
So I was left with a number of the things, so what did I do? Started again and now have more than before,
I still feel the same way, I love them, will keep them, but if someone offered me a good price for every single one of them I'd probably cave. And work on my Val Lewton collection or something,

Haha.

Anyway , not meaning to hijack, but I find it interesting the way a collectors brain works, especially a completist collector.

Adam, if money was no object, would you still sell? ( say you won the lottery)

Anyway good luck, maybe one day people will say "from the Carter Bond collection"
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »
Thanks for the support, Matt and jedge.

Hi Simon,

I already have a few interested parties with the finance to fund such a purchase, who know I have sounded it out online with full support.

I categorically would not sell the collection as a whole to a dealer as I fully understand I would only achieve half it's worth; even less with some. I am a dealer, retailer and collector myself, remember. I'm not selling duplicates here either; I'm selling my main collection which makes up most of what I own, so if you are a new collector and have the finances, then it's a no brainer.

I never said there was no inventory. I also never said I (not we're) don't know what is actually available. I am inventorying the entire thing in one go - I am sure you can understand I have to be absolutely certain before I send out lists.

I have thought about the sale of the collection for a long time, so what will happen will happen.
Thanks for the support...now reply to my email from earlier in the day before this topic ha!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the support.
As you can appreciate, I'm not going to publicly state what I feel it is worth and what I hope to sell it for as someone will undoubtedly troll me over it (value/asking price is for private talk once the inventory is complete, unless it goes to auction!). I'm pretty sure the rumour mill on the merry-go-round here will give their views on value. I've provided an example list in the first post, so you can go from there.

You have jumped the gun as I never said there was no inventory or database in place.
I have lists of everything I have ever bought.

Cheers.

Thanks, Paul.
I told you one day I would!

Ah.... when you said you were "still inventorying" is what made me ask and think that maybe a db that was fully encompassing and comprehensive didn't exist as of yet.  :)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Quite.

However it plays out, Good luck.  Hope decisions are made and acted upon to everyone's satisfaction in the fullness of time...

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Good luck with your collection sale Adam. WE have crossed paths a few times via email, what an amazing collection you have, should bring in a very big price for you. Best of luck selling it, i only wish I had the dosh to buy your Todd Slater posters of GF.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 01:14:04 AM »
Adam,

Please post links and/or images to the items for sale. Everyone else does.

As Holiday requested, he wants to have all F/S posts include this info or imagery. Please read this, if you havent seen it:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5173.0.html

Prices for your gear would be an added plus, as well.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:14:36 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:32:43 AM by Neo »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
BAN HIM

kidding
An Error Has Occurred!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »

Who Neo?

Neo made a few good points in his last post

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 06:41:37 AM »
BAN STEVE

not even kidding
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Hi

Mirosae

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 11:34:09 PM »
... --- ...
An Error Has Occurred!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 11:48:19 PM »
C'mon, this is serious

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
..  . .... . ..

... --- ...

Neo made a few good points in his last post

No, these are good points!

happy1

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
^ wise man talking  ;)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:14 PM »
Sorry for the delay, but rarely come onto forums now.
Thank you for the kind words from those of you who said them.

Adam, if money was no object, would you still sell? (say you won the lottery)

Yes I would, Ari.
As far as I am concerned I've been there, done it and can wear the t-shirt if I so wish.
Priorities change irrespective of finances. Money isn't everything in my opinion.

I've experienced the lows as well as the absolutely incredible highs.
Those highs are very few and far between now, I am sure most will agree.

Best wishes,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
A few collectors have been asking about the posters since posting again on this forum, so I'd just like to repeat part of what I have said:

If anyone is ever in the North East of England and would like to see the collection, please let me know - send me an email or give me a call.

Best wishes,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
UPDATE:

Folded stuff is almost done.
Keep on finding more when sorting through it all.
Best wishes,
Adam