Author Topic: Belgians  (Read 19940 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Belgians
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
THE VIRGIN QUEEN (1955)

I don't feel so bad getting older man hairline seeing Betty Davis Elizabethan 'do!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »

Im really liking this one too, Mike. More Hammer goodness!!  >:D

And the art is fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:56:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 02:03:06 AM »
https://youtu.be/OWPVaeCUZGo

I'm partial to Belgians with info printed neatly across the top but steer clear of ones with blank paper - not only do I believe many of them are fakes but the posters appear unfinished and lack the character of stamped material. I'm okay with trimmed Belgians.. dafuk?1
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 02:05:47 AM »
I love Belgians because of the colorful artwork and the size (convenient for framing).  It was probably my favorite poster nationality when I first started collecting.  My first movie poster was a Belgian Hammer Horror poster.  I have a bunch of Hammer and similar Belgians.  Here are a few pics I found in a folder on my computer.  These ones were all framed on my wall at some point.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 12:50:36 PM »
Agreed.  Belgian posters are great.  I started collecting them much later because I like bigger posters, but their unique designs eventually won me over.  I have a small collection but I'm working at it, little by little.  I don't want them trimmed (a lot of people cut the extra white border to frame) and of course there are a lot of reprints out there.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 06:56:33 PM »
I don't want them trimmed (a lot of people cut the extra white border to frame) and of course there are a lot of reprints out there.

T

I'm with you on that.  I prefer untrimmed (if possible). 
As I remember, a lot of the Belgians from the 1960s were stone litho (which also makes them look great), so it should be pretty easy to detect a fake.  Unless they're re-printing from the original plates.  Anyone have any experience spotting fake Belgian reprints?  I reckon one of the advantages of collecting lower-value posters (like I typically do), is that fakes don't turn up as often, because work/expense of faking it isn't really justified.  But who knows?

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 04:09:00 AM »
Likewise, untrimmed preferably. Some nice posters there Stefano, particularly that Evil Of Frankenstein. That artwork is lovely. I’d also be interested if anyone has any experience of reprinted or fake Belgians. The only really informative bits I’ve found on the subject relate to the Forbidden Planet one, and an original of that would be way out of my league anyway, so if anyone can suggest any books or articles that’d be great.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »
Like French posters, printers are important, Panneels, Verstegen, Lichtert & Fils...  Also the paper quality.  Most older Belgian posters use the same paper type.  Of course, "imprimé en Belgique" is mandatory.  No English.  Like I said, my collection is tiny, but I've tried to name the printers for each poster: https://www.moviepostersgallery.com/belgian/page/3/.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 05:10:43 PM »
Thanks for the info T, that’s certainly made me more confident going forward and wow what a great collection! Thanks for the link. Also noted that I mistakenly attributed ownership of that fantastic E O Frankenstein…. Sorry guys, guess I was just giddy at seeing it in hi-res  ;D

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2022, 10:01:26 PM »
Yeah, cool posters, Stefano. The Belgians packed some great painted art on those gems!  Okie

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi all, I am fairly new to poster collecting in general, and somehow I've acquired more Belgian posters than anything..albeit having no general connection to Belgium, or any of the languages of the country. I do love the convenient size, the painterly quality, the multi-lingual film titles. I don't have anything particularly rare, but I did have a rather fragile RODAN poster that I had Dario repair a little and linenback and I couldn't be happier with the results!  thumbsup.gif (I included a before/after photo of the Rodan)

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 06:23:05 AM »
Nice pics. That Rodan is great, and the resto looks amazing!

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 11:30:12 PM »
Thanks Pelham! He did do great work on the poster. I have an affinity for big rubbery monsters, maybe I'll post more soon

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2022, 05:17:35 AM »
Yeah, cool posters, Stefano. The Belgians packed some great painted art on those gems!  Okie

Thanks, Okie!  A lot of my Hammer posters from the '60s used the same (or very similar) artwork as the US posters, but with very punchy colors - not quite psychadelic, but approaching that era.  It's an appealing mix of classical and contemporary art styles, sort of like that era of progressive rock music that was also burgeoning around the same time (which blended Baroque chamber orchestras with electric rock bands).  It must've seemed something fresh and new at the time.

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2022, 11:26:21 AM »
few more

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2022, 04:40:06 PM »
I only have a coupe of Belgians.  One os because I collect the film, and the other the artist.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2022, 07:38:50 PM »
Razorback!  I saw this movie years ago and loved it.  I wonder if it holds up.  Russell Mulcahy had a good career for a while, with Razorback and Highlander.  Nothing much after that.  Great music video director though.

T
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 07:40:01 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2022, 07:41:05 PM »
I missed the previous post.  What a great selection of Belgians.  I used to hate the format, too small, but I was wrong, they're quite awesome.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2022, 08:05:18 PM »
Razorback!  I saw this movie years ago and loved it.  I wonder if it holds up.  Russell Mulcahy had a good career for a while, with Razorback and Highlander.  Nothing much after that.  Great music video director though.

T

Swimming Upstream and On the Beach are worth watching.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2022, 12:25:03 PM »
One of my favorite Belgian posters I have in my small collection is THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Happy Halloween everybody!

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2022, 01:20:02 PM »
RAY, Raymond Elseviers, was one the best designers in Belgium. I have only 14:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2022, 12:05:19 AM »
Yeah, only 14, I feel for you  ;)

Nice display.

T
My Personal Collection