Author Topic: Inquiry on "Enquire for Pricing"  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Inquiry on "Enquire for Pricing"
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
Any thoughts on sites not posting any prices, or rather having random pricing with others asking you to enquire?  Do you really bother, or does that leave you assuming its out of reach?   Do prices fluctuate that much that they need to have that flexibility?  Annoying, or a business necessity? 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Inquiry on "Enquire for Pricing"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Ive always equated the "Price- Please Enquire" line as something priced so astronomically as to allow the person asking to be seated before the price is sent and revealed.  faint2.gif

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
Same goes for price ranges, e.g. A100-500, B500-1000, C1000-2000
the difference between 100 and 500 to me is freeking enormous.

Sometimes I wonder if they price according to the number of typos in your email just like Biggie said mo' money, mo typos

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
Sites without prices my next mouse click usually is to leave the website

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
I've always assumed that 'Enquire for pricing' means one of two things...

1. We know the price but it is so high we are trying to make the act of purchase feel like an exclusive club for the privileged rather than a trap for the unwary.
2. We don't know the price but want you to suggest one for us. But only if it has plenty of noughts on the end.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:14:29 AM »
I agree "Enquire for Pricing" is irritating, and makes me want to buy from someone else.

I can abide coyness about pricing from an inexperienced individual seller who maybe has no idea how to come up with a reasonable asking price.  But to see "professional" poster dealers refraining to state a price is just annoying.

As an occasional buyer of collectible books, I appreciate this part of the Antiquarian Bookseller Association of America's Code of Ethics:

"9. An Association member should have all material offered for sale clearly marked with the selling price. Material not for sale or in the process of being catalogued should be appropriately segregated."

Although IMO stating your prices is just good practice in general (regardless of any Code of Ethics), and I am sure these "Enquire for Pricing" dealers are just hurting themselves by putting people off.