Author Topic: Ultraviolet Codes  (Read 23240 times)

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
Ultraviolet Codes
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:43:55 AM »
I had these on Ebay, but the powers that be removed my auction around the $30 mark with about 2 days left. They told me I am not allowed to sell a copy of copyrighted material. I am gathering they are saying I do not own a physical copy, and even though the code comes with most Blu Rays I do not own the digital copy?!?! I do not use the codes, as I prefer to own a physical copy.

So, does anybody here have any interest in these codes? I know these Ultraviolet codes get pretty expensive. So if your interested PM me, no reasonable offer will be refused.

I also have a Ghostbusters 1 and 2 code
This Space For Rent!

Mirosae

Re: Ultraviolet Codes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:28 PM »
Good luck! Never heard about these ultraviolet things...oooooops  :P :)

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
Good luck! Never heard about these ultraviolet things...oooooops  :P :)

I didn't really assume i would get much interest for these here. They are just download codes for the above movies. They work on Itunes also. So instead of downloading music, it is for movies. I bet if I offered them free people would want them!

For me....it seems wasteful not to use them. They expireafter a while. I actually have a stack of another 30 or so  that are expired.
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:06:04 AM »
I didn't really assume i would get much interest for these here. They are just download codes for the above movies. They work on Itunes also. So instead of downloading music, it is for movies. I bet if I offered them free people would want them!

For me....it seems wasteful not to use them. They expireafter a while. I actually have a stack of another 30 or so  that are expired.

Offer them as a free grab bag, Chris. At least they wont go to waste.  thumbsup.gif

You never know.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:46:00 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:16:24 AM »
Fair enough Jeff. If anybody is interested in one or more of these flicks, reply here with the movie title and I will message you the code.    ;D
I really do hate to see stuff wasted.
This Space For Rent!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »
In my mind, this is the same as ripping off a copy to your hard drive and then selling the BluRay.  Basically, when you bought the disc, you bought the rights to one copy to view for your personal, non-commercial use.  Selling, or even giving away the code effectively causes a second copy of the movie to exist without paying the royalty.  The studios give out these codes to discourage illegal ripping for people who want to view the film on a mobile device.  Not to have multiple copies.

That's why eBay cancelled the auction, and why I won't touch these.  The studios and artists have the right to their royalties.
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:13:32 PM »
I didn't know much about UV, but I read some now...
You redeem a code online for a movie which allows some sanctioned movie player software you have to install on your devices to download or stream the movie and play/watch it. Generally the download is not a freestanding movie file like an mp3 file you can play anywhere / anyway you like, but in a format only that player software can use. Also the movie is lower quality than bluray. Also if you try to redeem, you might find you can't as you are in a country not licensed to view it with that redeem code.

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
Thank you Steve. Very helpful.

I didn't know much about UV, but I read some now...
You redeem a code online for a movie which allows some sanctioned movie player software you have to install on your devices to download or stream the movie and play/watch it. Generally the download is not a freestanding movie file like an mp3 file you can play anywhere / anyway you like, but in a format only that player software can use. Also the movie is lower quality than bluray. Also if you try to redeem, you might find you can't as you are in a country not licensed to view it with that redeem code.

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:02 PM »
There are some very interesting points being made here, so as to not just rudely say I disagree, I will just share my thoughts on this.

I go to the store and buy a combo package of....let's say The Goonies. This combo set is a DVD BLURAY and Digital Download code, as clearly described on the package. When I buy this combo set these become my property. I purchased them, or am I wrong?
Now outside of counterfeiting and copyright laws, I am free to do with these as I choose. If I want to keep the bluray, sell the DVD on ebay, and wipe my nose with the code slip....then so be it. If I want to sell the blu ray, use the dvd and wipe one of my other orifices with the slip then so be it.

Should I give or sell any aspect of this combo set is my free choice, and in no way takes away from the studio or the artists and their royalties. Because I clearly and legally purchased this combo set. Further more I take offense to the mere implications that I am some how defrauding a system. I have clearly purchased 3 copies of said movie title.

Thanks for stopping by.........
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
There are some very interesting points being made here, so as to not just rudely say I disagree, I will just share my thoughts on this.

I go to the store and buy a combo package of....let's say The Goonies. This combo set is a DVD BLURAY and Digital Download code, as clearly described on the package. When I buy this combo set these become my property. I purchased them, or am I wrong?
Now outside of counterfeiting and copyright laws, I am free to do with these as I choose. If I want to keep the bluray, sell the DVD on ebay, and wipe my nose with the code slip....then so be it. If I want to sell the blu ray, use the dvd and wipe one of my other orifices with the slip then so be it.

Should I give or sell any aspect of this combo set is my free choice, and in no way takes away from the studio or the artists and their royalties. Because I clearly and legally purchased this combo set. Further more I take offense to the mere implications that I am some how defrauding a system. I have clearly purchased 3 copies of said movie title.

I see your points there, too, Chris.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »

Not trying to be disrespectful, Chris.  However, that little sheet of paper that nobody ever reads says you will abide by the terms as stated on their website:
https://c.uvvu.com/Consent/Text/US/urn:dece:type:policy:TermsOfUse:20140811/html

You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Services to take any action that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws, regulations, code of practice, or similar requirements. For example, and without limitation, you may not:

obtain or attempt to gain access to any UltraViolet Library or to any content for which you do not have rights or authority to access, including without limitation by impersonating any person or entity or otherwise misrepresenting your identity or affiliation;
alter, edit, delete, obscure, otherwise change the meaning or appearance of, enclose, repurpose, redistribute, republish, or publicly perform any of the content associated with your UltraViolet Library, including without limitation by linking to, hosting, embedding, streaming, or framing the content;
alter any trademarks, trade names, logos, service marks, promotional taglines, copyright notices or warnings or any other proprietary content or rights notices included therein or thereon;
engage in unauthorized spidering, screen or database scraping, or harvesting of content or personal information, or use any other unauthorized automated or unauthorized means to access, log, or compile information;
take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure;
use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activity conducted on the Services (including, without limitation, a virus, spyware, or malware) or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
attempt (or encourage or support anyone else’s attempt) to circumvent, decrypt, decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise alter or interfere with any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Services including, without limitation, any security or content protection of content;
use the Services for any commercial purpose; or
engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the Services, or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. We may investigate and work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the Terms.

I make no judgement on your actions, or attempt to dictate how you and others proceed.  However, this is why eBay cancelled the auction.  My judgement says that if you sold the disc with the digital copy, you would be clear, but selling the digital copy while keeping the disc creates a new copy where royalties have not been paid.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:19:33 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »
I  believe the intention of the UV codes is to allow the purchaser of the hard copy a soft copy to play the movie on their other devices (mobile/tablet). It came about in response to the ease in which people have been able to obtain such copies for their needs only through Pirate sites or legitimately only if they were in the Apple ecosystem.

I also understand that UV codes allow the person to have a small circle of family and friends to access the movie using the codes.

Apparently, not all UV codes are alike and have varying terms of use (depending on the provider of the codes).

Jayn_n, I read through the terms and conditions you refer and it as I understand only refers to the "Ultraviolet Library" which is the users so called library of films they have rights to access/view/download. Gingerman is offering the code not yet in any library, a user then will add the UV code to their own Ultraviolet Library so the terms don't apply to him, but to the user of the library and how they go about using it.

I think the terms to look for regarding the ownership of the UV codes lies with the 3rd parties who provide the codes such as the bluray disk providers or authorized online UV code providers, not who you have referenced who are the providers of the online film service.

I'd agree it would seem the intention of the film industry is not to have these UV codes onsold to anyone, though it seems hard to find a definitive answer.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:16:36 PM by 50s »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
I agree that it is overly complicated.  I'm still at work and haven't been able to access the card that comes with the disc.

My understanding is that you never actually hold a digital copy of an ultraviolet download.  When you redeem the code, the title is added to your ultraviolet account library.  That's why I thought that page was the one that applied.
There is a FAQ that answers a lot of questions: https://www.myuv.com/faq  They never seem to address sharing or selling the code. They say sharing may be OK, depending on the seller, so I would guess that each title has its own terms of use regarding this.

At any rate, I am backing off.  I have no desire to be the MPAA cop, and again I was just trying to understand why eBay cancelled, rather than the evil empire explanation.
-Jay-